NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i got my 1976 85 hp johnson javelin to crank for the first time using earmuffs in the driveway.

($380 off a guy in lexington with a new prop and control box by the way i just want to brag)

anyway i got it to crank but turned it off real quick because im not sure if it "pees" water out the back. i cant seem to see any kind of hole or anything on it and was curious if anyone could tell me if it should be (or where it discharges water). i am worried about maybe needing a new water pump.

also id really like a free motor manual if anyone knows where i could get a pdf

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sorta sounds like you might have a dirt dobber nest in the water outlet. On the back of the motor, dead center (crosswise) near the top of the shaft housing is where I'd be looking. If you see a white red or other "offcolor circle" it is probably mud put there by one of mother natures "hole pluggers" Ok to leave the motor running with the "muffs" long enough to check it out but don't rev it up. That could damage the engine.\
Manual's: you'll probably have to buy one...:(

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
What you could do, is take it down to your local boat yard/dealer/shop and check with them, see if anyone can help ya... or, knowing a Johnson motor guru... Contact Carl Merritt at Merritt Marine in Hillsborough and ask him! ;) If Carl cant tell ya.. then I dont know who can, plus Carl knows them older motors really well and can probably help you out to locate a manual

His contact info is:

email: [email protected]
Phone: (919) 732-7377

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Johnson/Evinrudes discharge most of their water thru the exhaust port in the center of the prop. It isnt unusual not to get any "pee" from anywhere at low rpm.. Anymotor that has been setting needs the pump impeller and thermostat replaced to truly be safe. Oh, BTW that is easily a $800 motor so you got a good deal!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks a lot guys. Sundrop that makes sense. that is where its draining.

it has a new prop on it and has had recent maintenance so i think everything is cool. the guy had it on his pontoon boat. I cant wait to get the new upholstery ive done on it and my trolling motor so i can finally go fishing again

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Johnson/Evinrudes are the John Deere of boat motors they run forever!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I was just thinking about the manual. It is a long shot but I do some flea marketing and such. A couple of times over the years I've seen used manuals turn up in thrift stores such as Salvation Army and Goodwill. You can buy any books they have cheap. The problem is if you go around to all of them looking for one you would probably spend more on gas than it would cost to buy one and still not have one. If you just happen to be passing by such a place and have 5 min. to kill... who knows?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I bought an original factory service manual for around $7 on Ebay for mine..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.