NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done any fresh water fishing in awhile. Is anyone doing any fishing this time of year on the lakes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been fishing some in Melton Hill Lake at Knoxville Tenn. (a three hour drive one way) for muskies. I have caught 5 since Christmas, they ran from 26 inches to 33 inches. I was going this morning, but was afraid of getting into ice on the state line on Interstate 40. Most of my muskie fishing is done on Lake Adger in Polk county just south of Asheville. I live in Marion, NC. It is slow here right now. Musky Glenn

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post Glenn. I'd love to see some pictures of some of those Polk County Muskies! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fished yesterday on the Smith River in Bassett, VA with Spinorfly. It is only 1hr from Greensboro, and it is a terrific wild brown trout stream. We caught a mix of wild browns and stocked rainbows, with the highlight being Spinorfly's 12-13" wild brown. Of course he caught it in the hole that I just vacated that was obviously fished out since I wasn't catching any more! They were hitting electric prince nymphs and a neon green mayfly nymph. We had similar action on Jan 1st except with copper johns. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello!

The wife and an old freind and I set out yesterday to do a little fishin in a watershed.
It was 50* , overcast and 5 mile hr. winds.
It kinda looked like the crappie were the ones to go for , but
once we got to bassin it turned on!
Using a spinner bait and some crank baits we were on'em.
Ended up with her catchin a 9 POUNDER!!!
It's pre spawn now for sure! most were on beds or staging to sweep one out.
We caught quality plus bass all evening!
Hers is going on the wall!
As for myself, well you can say I have some catchin up to do.
Happy Easter to all!!
Hookeye

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo! Now the cabin fever has increased a couple of degress. I'd love for you to post a pictures of that 9 lb. bad boy if you've got one. Sounds like a great day on the water! ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep it was a was a great day!

As soon as I get the pictures downloaded I'll be glad to post em.
She shure does make me proud!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been fishing several times for crappie the past couple months and haven't been able to keep the bass of my line long enough to hook any lol.Two weeks ago I was on the water for about 3 hrs and landed 20 + bass including 1 7lber and 1 11lber.I wasn't complaining it was a great day although I am still looking for a nice plate of crappie for dinner.I was fishing lake reese and had several friends on the lake that day who were all bass fishing with no luck whatso ever I showed them my fish gave them a kiss and sent them swimming.I informed them they might wanna try downsizing there baits untill the water warmed up some.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day out there Ray Ray.

Crappies are biten real good up here in Pilot Mtn.
Wev'e been throwing a small crank bait called itsy bitsy.
It's been slayin. Tried small grubs and had some luck but
live minnows and the itsy bitsy are really working good.
Great catch on that 11 lb'er! One day I might just break the
10 plus catagory.
Till then, Lots of luck out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never fished up there but let me know next time you go if you have room for one more or room for another boat to tag along lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
:) Hey RayRay,

We'll sure let ya know the next time we get to go over there.
The pinnacle watershed is around 70 acres, it's fed by the little yadkin.
It's pretty small but the fish in there are something to talk about.
Last year a buddy of mine caught a 19 and a half inch black crappie!
Itwas a slab! 18 inch and smaller have been caught this spring so far.
With all this rain and WIND it gets pretty dingy and they turn off somewhat.
But it's still fun to fish!
Yesterday we fished the Kerr Scott resevoir.
Whew!! It was something!The WIND was 30 plus with gusts to 50 plus!
Swells on the lake were 4 feet!Trees were at the mercy of the Wind and
falling!WE too were at its mercy, trying to troll and stay put was a job!
Caught a few bass though, not of any size,but had fun anyway!
Great day to fly a kite!Gonna go trout fishing today on the Dan river and
see how many times we can hit the water instead of the trees.Wind is still
justa whippin!Lots of luck out there!
Hookeye

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been fishing alot of small lakes and ponds near jacksonvill,nc and they are really hitting the soft baits. my buddy and i tear them up on watermelon seed super flukes and baby brush hogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I havent been out on the lakes at all this year but have been fishing ponds.We have been doing pretty good with the crappie.Ive only bass fished once this year and it wasnt quite as good for us that day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am still looking for a good place to take kids in and around Surry County. I really appreciate any information.
Thanks a Bunch

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Tonyer71

I'm sorry you didn't have much luck at the watershed.
It used to be a good place to take the family and have some fun.
Littered up Would be a couple things to say.:(
I still go there and pick up what I can.
There are some great fish in there, but you do need a boat
of some sorts to get to them.
Maybe sometime we all can hookup and see what it has to offer.
I know myself that there are alot of bigguns in there!
Till then.
Hookeye:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
THE BLUERIDGE FAMILLY CAMPGROUND IN DOBSON IS SOMETHING I'M CHECKIN INTO. I'LL GET THE LOCAL SOON. I KNOW THEY USE TO HAVE

SMALL FISHING TOURNAMENTS, AND AWARD PRIZES TO FIRST THRU FOURTH. FAMILLY FRIENDLY AND CLEAN. HOPE THAT IT's STILL IN OPERATION. LOTS OF BIG BASS! ALOT OF FUN FOR EVERYONE!
THEY HAVE RENTAL BOATS, AT A REASONABLE RATE THE LAST TIME
WE WERE THERE. AND YOU CAN ALSO FISH FROM THE BANKS ALOT OF
THE PLACES AROUND THE LAKE. AS SOON AS I CAN , I'LL GET THE INFO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to let you know, especially you Hookeye, that I have learned that supposedly there is a place in Mount Airy to take the kiddies. I am a member of a "freecycle" group on yahoo and asked other members about fishing holes. One lady tells me this:
Beulah Ruritan Club has a stocked community pond on a hill behind it.
On Hwy 89 1.25 miles West of I77. We should look for a small brick building on the R just past a BP station/market.
I haven't checked this out yet, but intend on it. It doesn't sound like the true anglers market, but good "family" trip. I am really interested in the camp ground that you mentioned!
Does anyone know of any resivoirs or any large ponds or anything
around or at least close to Surry County?? I have never fished out at Hanging Rock, but I remember it being good size. Anyone have any experiences for there?
I have lived here in surry for about 5 years now and just can't believe that right here in the foothills, there is such a shortage of fishing holes, except the rivers. I am not much into fly fishing or the snakes for that matter. So I am interested in any info that one has to offer. Even little farmers "pay ponds" if it is one where you can keep your catch.
Thanks so much Everyone (especially the always helpful Hookeye)
Tonyer71

·
Registered
205 Posts
try this tonyer71

tonyer71 have you tried the north carolina wildlife resources website? it has a list of access areas for the whole state. also try reading north carolina sprtsman or try their website. they are pretty good at listing access points for shorebound anglers. if you go to the ncwrc webpage just click the online services and you will eventally ge to a map of the state broken down into 3 parts. haven't fished much in that part of the state, but I've deer hunted surry and know that most of it is private property. youn can also try the nc dept of environment and natural resources. if i'm not mistaken, is there not a state park or two with ponds or a lake near you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts