NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello Big Country. I live in Raleigh and shore fish Falls regularly but have not made it out since last Friday. Then the Crappie were still in their prespawn patterns staged in the creek channel deep water hugging bottom. The bite seemed to be slow for me but not nonexistant. I think the storms that have picked the lake level up some 6 feet to almost normal pool had the fish moving as my last two outings were both behind fronts and the fish seemed slow. I did see a report from last weekend from someone doing a night stalk who reported the night bite was real good. Crappie typically turn on there late afternoon into the evening. He said he fished deep in the upper end of the lake around the general area where Hwy 50 crosses the lake. His take was the fish were holding in the channel about 12 feet down early and moved shallower later. I have been fishing a 25 foot deep prespawn staging area and finding the fish in the lower part of the water column but am beginning to see some shallower fish. The dogwoods out back are in bloom and they say thats the time to look shallow but I dont know if they are there yet. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I dont get to go often with our new born at home... would like to know if there are any crappie bitting at falls?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Big Country, I feel your pain. My 4 month old won't let me go much either. I'm gonna be out there this Thursday for our Falls Lake State Rec. Area Staff crappie tournament. I'll have a report with pics (If the skunk don't get me).

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Catch em by the bucketful Greg!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got back from Falls Lake - fished under the second bridge coming out of Wake Forest. I've only been in this location 3 times - no fish two weeks ago. Last Sunday, one crappie. Today, one crappie. Caught is on a jig with a salt water purple lure. I also have put another line out trying to catch cat fish - no far not one nibble.

No one that I've talked to has caught anything. I met the local game warden on the first two outings. He said that he hadn't seen anyone with fish.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have been checking in with our fishermen over the past couple days and no one is having any luck, though I was checking licenses on our fishing pier on Friday and as I was there an 8 year old kid reeled in a nice sized catfish. Sure hope this lock jaw clears up soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went our again yesterday. I caught a shad below the dam at Fall's Lake. Some guys had caught a few blue gills and one guy had a nice crappie. I'm used to fishing salt water in Florida so I guess the transition to lake fishing has me stumped. I've used minnows under the bridge down 98, Berkley Blood Catfish Bait - not one nipple. Artifical lures have worked - only caught two shad in the last three weeks of fishing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Got a report from some campers this afternoon that they had caught quite a few crappie along the shoreline near the campground fishing pier (near the abandoned boat ramp). I was also checking licenses yesterday and there were some guys that were fishing the cove at shelter #15 that had about 10-12 good sized crappie.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Tasetliff, I'm stationed at the Rolling View Recreation Area at Falls Lake. I am referring landmarks that some of the guys here may be familiar with.

During my rounds of license checks today, I was seeing more full buckets of fish, mostly cats and crappie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I new to freshwater fishing - I've been using Berkley Catfish Bait and minnows for crappie. I'm fishing the Fall's lake bridges and haven't caught a crappie. I'm putting the catfish bait on bottom and the minnows on a bobber about 4' - 5' down. The only wahty I've caught anything is on a lure. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.