NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fixin to gear up for the upcoming season??
Just got talkin with Tom and realized, Eastern season is fast aproaching!! Time to dust off the smoke pole!!!

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Regulations_Digest.pdf

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Local_Laws.pdf

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Deer_Season_Maps.pdf

Looks like a few changes to the rule book, just got done lookin over.. Some that hunt with dogs might not be too happy... (which I dont, so doesnt affect me - I'm a pound the ground guy).
Also, I'm guessing since 9-11, that Shearon Harris has lost a bit of gameland due to security reasons, but lot's of area still on the south east and western parts of the lake.

Got lookin at the stat's from last season, and amazing how low the harvest was Gamelands v.s. "Other".... Dont have to hunt private property to harvest deer! ;)
http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Big_Game_Reporting.pdf
Yeah you can not bait with corn or ride ATV's on gamelands,, but that's the challenge... work for it and it truely pays off I believe, nothing like draggin a harvested deer 2 miles thru the Uwharries! I have access to prime private deer hunting property, but 90% of my hunting is on gamelands for sure! ;)

Anyone else hunt eastern season? Anyone hunt Jordan area?
I know Harris, Buckhorn (off 42 S. of Harris), Lee County and Uwharrie (Dennis/Horsetrough/Walker Mnt) pretty well.. would like to trade notes for someone looking to try different areas. I'd really like to hunt the south Jordan areas this season.. so if anyone's interested in some scouting and note comparing,, drop me a PM! ;) If wanting to hook up and hunt,, I'm game for that too!

Mmmmmm... hard to believe it's almost getting to be that time again... I can almost taste the summer sausage now! ;):D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah,, he offered me the chance on it, but I passed (I'd rather be out hunting).. but to be honest, NCDeertalk has ALOT of members and they're established for a long while... lots of guys from Sanford/Fayetteville/Raleigh areas.. they have a good thing... so in my eyes, wouldnt be worth the trouble. Great group of guys (just like on here). They cover the whole she-bang.. from archery, muzzleloader, ect... Plus it's the only time of year I switch to talking to my huntin buds like Mark, Greg and Doug.. ha ha ha ha ha.... :) Bow hunters are as tedious as fly fisherman.. and I'll leave it at that! ;)

Here's the link: NCDeer Talk Forum: Viewing list of forums

Sunday hunting has been a steamy topic as well as hunting with dogs.. lot's of good points/arguments... I consider the group, like this one (NCAngler) grass roots, down to earth and just your everday average sportsman conversing via the net. For the low down and dirty on local deer.. this is the group.

Here's the NC Deer Talk Trophy room page,, great to see alot of junior hunters on there! (My boy included with the 06 season of his first squirrel)

North Carolina Deer Trophies

Youth 2006 section:
North Carolina Deer Trophies

·
Registered
493 Posts
Soooooo! Tedious Fly Fisherman...like Bow Hunters. Now you show your true interpretation of our passion. Just joking Dave... I know we are fishin' freaks with whips! I appreciate the web info here. I love to hunt. Last two months has been a little crazy, one day I am getting flies tied, looking at my camping gear, making sure all my Fly Fishing STUFF is in order for the fall and then the very next day I'm sighting my Weatherby, getting my WingMaster cleaned and lubed, checking my hunting clothes and boots, blinds, calls, decoys and ammunition. What is a sportsman to do?

·
Registered
493 Posts
My Dad raised me to appreciate the outdoors, the sunrise with Ducks whistling overhead just before the light. The walk through the woods with spider webs in your face. The slow methodical way to move in the woods looking for signs and not chasing everything within 5 miles away. Yep! I too believe in pounding the ground, which is another reason I love to FLy Fish. I am working on getting permissions for some very productive land in Alleghany(?) County in the northwest. Lots of Deer, Turkey, and Bear. Also, about 400+ acres just North of Snow Hill. I have a same area of land just west of Nashville that I hunt. About 80-90 acres with a creek and stream that run through it. It is not gameland, so the deer jam and clover are out already. Maybe we can hook up this year.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I know what you mean,,, just got to where I'm looking ahead a little and realized Eastern opener is coming fast... Though not a big fan of sweating while hunting or having ticks all over the legs and head... but a good way to get a good jump and brush up on (like you said) stalking and not scaring every deer into the next county.

Give me a call sometime and would be happy to get up and hunt with ya. I'm usually very mobile from Oct-Jan 1 :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I hunt the easter season for deer in Wallace and Tarboro. I read an article that said blue tongue disease may be bad this season due to such a dry summer. Lets just keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
hmm where that at again dave??

yeah it is time to bust the guns out.. i have already been prepin for the goose season..by busting clays with the 10 gauge..i do deer hunt a bit but really have retired from bowhunting-rather shoot geese-..

zooker

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am psyched to do some serious hunting this year. Having just my mom raise me, I'm getting a late start but got hunter's safety out of the way (which was surprisingly interesting). My ol' lady has family in Kinston and will do some hunting down that way. Also probably some in Halifax. I am interested in the gamelands, I'm told that if you walk further than 200 yards from the road you can get some prime real estate.

I'm originally from Michigan and can't get used to using dogs either. Being a beagle owner I'm sure I'd like to see them run but something doesn't feel right using dogs. No offense to those that do.

Thanks for the website Dave, hope it will help me as much as everyone here has.

From tight lines to big horns.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm told that if you walk further than 200 yards from the road you can get some prime real estate.
Biggest buck I ever shot was less than 100 yards from the truck.... so it all depends..
Most of the time though, yes, off the beaten path and you'll see more deer and have more opportunity. I personally like where thick pines open up in to hardwoods and creek bottoms

The one thing I key in on, is "hunter" sign. Pattern other hunters and you'll find places they beat to death. Add that up with deer pattern/movement and your on your way to a gameplan. Obviously food source/water factor into it all as well.

The biggest thing though, is get there first get back off the beaten path and let the other hunters when they show up, push deer to you. A tactic that has payed off very well when huntin gamelands. I've sat "on spot" or up in a tree for 2 hours or more before the sun comes up. Usually an hour or hour and a half, you'll hear the morning crowed show up before sunrise, clinkin and clangin tree stands, talkin to each other... makin all kinds of racket. Being on stand quietly and having already settled puts you at the advantage. Just try not to get "busted" by a deer... use scent cover (I like that earth cover scent they sell at Walmart). I'll only use doe or buck scent after I'm on stand.... creeps you out in the woods when it's dark and a deer thinks your another deer.... especially if he's a buck and your smellin like a doe in heat! ;) :eek:

Practice shooting - hit target area everytime
Scout the area you plan to hunt
Pattern other hunters (look for hunter sign)
verify deer sign - droppings and rubs are what I key in on - creek bottoms ;)
get there early and on stand as quite as possible
minimal use of scents - little goes a long way
Be ready to fire - dont count antler points or gawk thru the scope/bino's - put bead on rib cage and pull the trigger

Most of all be safe, know the target and whats behind it, keep safety on until you're ready to fire, if climbing a tree - use a safety harness and always un-chamber a round when mobile

Scout when you can and definately best of luck to all fellow hunters that happen to be fishermen as well! ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very Well stated, Dave. I was on a "point" in a place back home we called Tank's Ridge. Two ridges running parallel with an old dried out creek bottom between them leading to some honey-suckle thicket just before the river. We set up at the river end and others would walk towards us pushing the deer. Eventually, the "weekend sportsman" began to show up in greater numbers and ruined a good spot. Moved to NC and continue to still hunt and scout. Just seems more challenging and more of a primitive experience.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dave, it looks like you have the hunting figured out also. I did however catch you slipping. You left out something very important.
Anytime you are moving the woods during deer season or even before or after. Keep a close watch for hunters up in the trees. Be extra cautious about traveling thru thick places also. There are still some real Bozos that are so fired up (and sometimes messed up), that they will shoot at noise. Just because you wouldn't think of doing it, is no reason to bet your life on the other guy. I'm sure most people don't do that; but I have heard people openly say that they heard a deer in the bushes so they shot at it. If you encounter another hunter make sure he sees you before you take your eyes off him. Don't signal by waving a white flag! (sure that white handkerchief will get his attention...and get you shot.:eek: Leave it at home...with the toilet paper:( and wear camo underwear :eek:
I'm sure most folks are acutely aware of that but I thought it would be better not to leave that out. The patterning other hunter's part...I used to think I was the only one who did that. LOL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point Al, Hunter orange head and chest for sure.
I wont poop in the woods... dont know what it is,, but just cant do it... did it once, I always carry TP, but no greasy food for me the night/day before the hunt! ;)

Very true, some folks just shouldn't be out in the woods with a weapon.. but your right, they're out there every season.

Funny, I usually never have an encounter with another hunter and the guys I hunt with, we all use FRS radios to keep in touch, but I did have a hunter last season set up about 40 yards directly in front of me. I was in a climber stand, so I whistled at him and he either never heard me or whatever.. and he started climbing.. my first instint was to get up out of his line of fire (I was about 15 ft up off the ground), so I climbed up another 10 ft., once I get settled and he's just buckling in himself, two deer jog'd out from his side over to my side and to my right... if I'd of took a shot, he'd of crap'd his pants :)

True, always have to be alert not only for game but for the gamers as well.. good point! ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Dave!
I'm another NCDeer regular myself, (Screen name-highclimber) when deer season is near, I also start the transition from the fishing, to the hunting site. You'll definately see me less here, and a whole lot more there, in the next 4 months, LOL Bow Season is right around the corner. I don't practice alot, but I've been shooting one for 20 plus years, so my shooting style doesn't change. Pick it up, shoot 8 or 10 times, I'm ready to rumble!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ya'll have fun! I'll keep the fish nervous for ya!!! I used to "still" hunt deer/turkey years ago and I used to love to go squirrell hunting too, done a little dove and quail hunting, but now a days this old big, broken, body can't hang!!!! But of course if anybody has more than the freezer can hold..well...;)

Reactions: Dave B.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.