NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Carolina Anglers. I just recently joined the site- found it through the N&O Outdoors Section several weeks back.

I fish primarily from a kayak. Around here (Raleigh), primarily at Beaverdam (Falls Lake) and Neuse River. Also love to get salty. Have been going to Wrightsville area and Va. Beach/Sandbridge area.

Are there any other yak fishers out there? Would love to hear about good spots and discuss possible river excursions. I am getting tired of paddling back upstream to get out!

Look forward to hearing from anybody who has things to say!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Scooteri, welcome. I'm a local kayaker in Greensboro, you will find a number of great spots with the help all the members on this site. I have been wanting to get back up to the James river at Natural Bridge, which is a great spot for small mouth. I have been there 10-15 times over the last decade. There is a good campground on the water called Natural Bridge Campground, I think they will shuttle fishermen upstream for minimal charge and you can fish back to campground. End of April first part of May are good times to go. In the summer at times it can get shallow enough you may have to get out and walk your kayak a ways. Fishing gets real good again in October. Hoe this helps, Kayak Ken

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Howdy Scooter
I live in Cary and like to paddle Jordan and Harris 'cuz they're closer than Falls, but I've been on Falls, the Eno, in additon to Ft. Fisher and Topsail. Keep an eye on the Connections forum and the kayak-fishing forums here and we'll try to announce outings. Personally, I'm a firm believer in the Buddy System, therefore it's always a good thing to have more names on my list of potential partners.

Have you seen the Cape Fear Kayaks tourney series? They're starting the season next weekend at Wrightsville. I'll start a thread and we'll see if anyone else wants to head down.

Other local resources are the KFNC yahoo group (as in, Kayak Fishing in NC) and the Carolinas forum on KayakFishingStuff.com.

You can see pics of my Manta Ray 12 in the photo galleries... not that it's that noteworthy, but hey, pics are pics....

Kevin

Reactions: skooteri

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi scooter, I live in Surf City (Topsail Island). I kayak fish in the area, Intracoastal Waterway and sounds, creeks, flats off the waterway. If you are down this way, give me a shout and we can "get salty" as you said. Send an email or PM. Welcome to the forum. You are gonna love it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I fish an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 SOT. I have the holes plugged for the inside, but I can remove them for the surf, if I get up enough nerve to take her out. Often, when the temps are really high, I will unplug her for the inside, and sit in a pool of cool water while I fish in the hot sun. Man, life is good.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jeff. I use a Wilderness Systems Pairadise without a great deal of rigging. Have only added a rod-holder and an anchor line. Going out of Upper Barton seems kinda brave to me. As I ususally only get out on the weekends, so I stay away from there. Altho I have gone out at Lower Barton- park on the Northern-Creek Side and it's not too bad a drag to the water. My usual is the put-in on Weaver Dairy Trail on the Beaver Dam section.

I would love to get up to try Hyco. Saw that recent post- sounds like a real bass lake.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Johnny, thanks for the reply. I have fished several times at Topsail, but only pier and surf fishing. I will definitely give you a shout if I roll down that way.

As far as taking your yak out in the surf- it definitley takes a cerain type of day. I have tried several times to do thqat in less than favorable situations and gotten equipment and fisherman dumped for my troubles.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Kevin, thanks for the advice. I have gone out a couple of times at Jordan. Where do you put in on Harris? I want to get down there sometime.

What area is the Cape Fear tourney? I have fished the CF once, without much luck.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Going out of Upper Barton seems kinda brave to me.
Secret to my bravery: Only go to UB on weekday mornings and avoid weekends like the plague!

Hyco was a pretty healthy drive but I had always wanted to see it, especially in the cold weather when the power plant supposedly helps keep the water warmer than the usual lakes around here.

The Wake Forest water reservoir is another good kayak fishing hole if you're on this end of town.

Stick around the site and let us know when/where you go...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Scooter -- the Cape Fear tourney series picks a different site each month -- Wrightsville is this weekend, they'll also do Fort Fisher, and Sutton Lake to give the freshwater crowd a turn... There's a spot halfway down the Cape Fear they've got in plan for the rotation, I think it's called something like "River Road park". Their site isn't completely up to date as far as each location -- call for details. But you should expect the fourth (not necessarily the "last") Saturday of each month, through (including) October, weather permitting.

PM me a phone # or something if you want to go down this weekend... I need a buddy for my float plan.

As for Harris, most of the time i'll put in at the big three-wide ramp south of the county park. I've only been out there a few times, though.

Hey Kevin, thanks for the advice. I have gone out a couple of times at Jordan. Where do you put in on Harris? I want to get down there sometime.

What area is the Cape Fear tourney? I have fished the CF once, without much luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.