NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few too many but does anyone have any hobbies other than fishing?
I like building and flying r/c planes. as wella s race my car/ building race cars and metal Fabrication.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm a gearhead. If it burns fuel I love to tinker on it. I am building a Cutlass street/strip car when by back and $ allows although it is tough with the car being at my old house 110 miles away where I have my tools and equipment and no neighbors..LOL...I've built alot of beasts/toys and have been a professional bodyman as well. And I'm always tuning on some friends car or bike. I'm also the local small engine "sputter doc"..LOL I want to find a small engine school maybe for outboards but they all seem to be a big deal to attend.. I'm gonna need a new career.
I work on the houses, either ours or the rental alot.. I spend alot of time since my injury on this computer. I love music and if I'm not listening to it I am listening to talk radio.. I like the weird stuff in talk like Art Bell, Rollye James, George Noory... I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist... My music taste is somewhat diverse but mostly some form of Rock.
Bought my first RC elec airplane last summer and cant get the thing to fly..LOL Guess I better stick real engines..LOL
I also buy and sell alot on Ebay..most anything.
I like to cook, unfortunatly I also like to EAT...working on that lil problem too..:D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep, cars and trucks. I recently sold my '69 Chevy truck. Bought this '96 with 12,800 miles. I am looking for a project car. Just haven't found the right one. I am building a 350 ZZ3 now with my brother.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Being a coach and a big sports fan I love fantasy sports. Usually have 2 or 3 leagues going with myself and some buds. I also tinker in home repair but I'm not very good at it

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have so many hobbies that if I add one more, my wife will probably leave me after 29 years of marriage. :eek: So, no more cause she's a good woman to have put up with me all these years. :D I love the yard, gardening, my back deck... building deck furniture, picnic tables, and woodworking, my dalmation (Sparker), fishing, hunting, tying flies, and all sports. I even learned to cross-stitch when we were snowbound one winter.:confused: I like Photography, image editing, and all types of technology. Anything you want to learn, you can do by researching it on this highway of information. I guess these are more capabilities than hobbies. I guess that my hobby is just finding something that interest me and doing something all the time. ;) Staying busy and enjoying it.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm in the same boat and all of my hobbies are expensive. I was invited to play golf the other day by a business group, which I am obliged to go along. I have never played before so I don't own clubs. When I told my wife about it, she shot me a look like Linda Blair from the Exorcist, and with a sigh that relieved all the air from the room, she asked, "How much does golf cost?" I think I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Backlash. That is one hobby that I won't take on. I understand it can be very expensive. I guess I just don't like the idea of hitting a ball and then walking after it. I'd rather hit a ball and watch someone else run after it. Big Baseball player back in the day. Plus, a golf swing can really mess up a batting swing. Never wanted to take that chance. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Right now only fishing. I was a golf fanatic but I guess the Lord relieved me of that desire last year. Have always fished but got into golf about 6-7 years ago and kinda went crazy with it but for some reason this year I have had no desire for the game.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My black subaru will run 12's in the quarter but I mainly track race it. I was in sanford for an auto-x on sunday at the old airport.

Ive also had my hand in building a few very nice camaros, and 2 pretty nice fords here in town. both turbo charged and run 8's.

Im glad im in the same boat as everyone else with hobbies. My wife complains all the time about them haha. Im into giant scale rc airplanes. which can cost anywhere from 1k to way more than Id ever pay 20-40k per plane

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
When I was in college, I wanted to fly small planes. Took a few lessons, never learned to tame my tummy, then got married and the planes got awful darned expensive. I did fly RC with a couple buddies one time; landed my first time out. That's also been the last time out.

Wanted to sail after that -- figured the fuel was free -- but doggone it, everything else was awful darned expensive.

After that I kinda got into ham radio. I still volunteer at a couple of public service events occasionally. My HF rig's still here, I still remember the code (although slow), but it's dusty. Haven't turned it on since the fishing bug hit, around two years ago.

I'll dabble in woodworking and home repair. Never got into working on cars, although I can do brake pads.

I guess you can call volunteering with the kids programs at Church a hobby. If there's something going on with the kids over there, you've got a pretty good chance of finding me involved.

Lefty

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Those turbo subs are the ticket for Imports. I'm old school and all that hoopla confuses me I admit. My buddy has a Grand National so Ive learned a bit helping him. I've considered doing a turbo on my 383 stroker I'm building for the Cutlass.. I'm not sure wether to go blow thru or injected since $$ is a big factor.

Wife is pretty good about it, she just prefers the "one thing until its done" approach and I dont do that well..LOL

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I was in college, I wanted to fly small planes. Took a few lessons, never learned to tame my tummy, then got married and the planes got awful darned expensive.

Lefty
I took lessons at 15 years old. My father was a private pilot. So was my grandfather. I flew alot with them and got alot of seat time with the controls. My interests were spread thin. Motorcycles, baseball, basketball, girls, cars, etc. If I would have stayed on track, I would have got my drivers license and pilots license in the same day.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Man, y'all talkin about cars.. I used to be into them in my teens, first one was a '75 Monte Carlo... got in some trouble with that one... then went to a '82 camaro... definately got in trouble with that one.. then the '83 X-fire injected Trans Am.. finally wrecked that one and got in trouble.... Thought I'd get a truck to keep me out of trouble and ended up gettin into the 4 wheelin thing.. . started with a 85 Nissan 4x4... got stuck alot in it and in trouble way back where no one knew where we were....

ha ha ha ha ha.... whoooo.. just thinkin about it is pretty funny... not to mention how lucky I am to be alive today... I think every vehicle I had back then (especially the oldsmobile Delta 88... ) I'd cut the seat belts out of.... jeez... alot of things have changed! :eek:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've been He** on wheels since I was a kid. Dirtbikes,gocarts,even an old Studebaker Lark my dad took the linkage of of so it would only go in 1st and reverse. It was our "fieldcar" I learned to drive when I was 10 w/wood blocks bolted to the pedals!
Wrecks? oh yeah..I got those! 15yrs old I ran a 65 Galaxy through the woods to avoid road constructon on a curve because I wasnt looking at the signs at 60mph (playing w/girlfriend) and totaled it. Backed out of a parking space in school spinning tires and parked my Dads 4x4 f150 on the roof of a Vega wagon I didnt see pull across behind me. (also 15..LOL SC let ya drive in the daylight at 15) 16yrs I flipped a Maverick racing on a dirt road. Also had 2 HP cops sitting at my house with my Dad one night when I got home after being chased across 3 counties in a souped up 340 wedge Dodge PU. I had a history of out running the cops and this time they got my number! Dad made me sell it... Bought a Gremlin, drove it till things cooled down... 17yrs put a hotrodded 351W ford motor in the Gremlin... Lost it to the cops streetracing.
Bought a 6cyl 65 Mustang and tried to behave..
18yrs had a Jeep, the Mustang and found a 64 Comet Cyclone hotrod that would be the biggest wreck to date...flipped it 7 times @ 140mph..walked away...halloween day. Went to the street party at ECU college that night and my buddy got hit head on by a drunk driver going for more beer..He lived, but has issues from the head injuries.
Bought a "safe" dodge OMNI... fell asleep behind the wheel after a weekend of partying and spent 2 yrs learning to walk again ( long story)
53 Studebaker truck,67 GTO tripower,66 Galaxie,64 Lemans,70 Mach 1,several RX7s and Mustang GTs,69 Blazer w/44" of lift,Cutlass dragcar,Monza dragcar,Suzuki 1000 dragbike,65 Ranchero,72 Torino,Capri rs, Capri turbo,V-8 chevy powered 260z and a few dirt track cars, all of which I built or greatly improved then wrecked traded or sold. I can list more but you get the point. I do love the smell of hot tires and racing gas... still do, always will.. even at $4 a gallon!
"If I had known I'd have lived to 40 I would have taken better care of myself"

·
Registered
330 Posts
I ruined my hobby about 9 years ago by becoming a pro guide. I seldom get to fish for fun anymore. As far as gardening goes, I'm my wifes bond servant, she tells me if I don't till the garden today, she'll bond her foot to my rear end! My oldest son is 12 and I really enjoy hunting and fishing with him but I can't call that a hobby.....It's more of a passion! I guess Rod building would be my only hobby.

You guys are lucky!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hopefully my brother ben steps in and talks about his truck. it was a 64 ford f100 we painted with satin paint and a house roller. had a 351 cleveland. made good power and pushed people who cut us off out of the road.

By the way I use a nicely built small block and a nice shot of nitrous

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.