NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my wife's uncle is coming to visit next month(july)from nebraska. One thing he said he wants to do is some sharkfishing. I do plenty of surf fishing but never been out targeting just sharks. Caught many small ones(under 2 feet) while drum fishing. Any pointers are welcomed. I have a few surf rods,10 and 12 footers with spinning reels. I tried to do some reading and getting ton of mixed info on the internet. Some say use casting rods and either casting or conventional reels only, others say spinning is fine. Figured i would try to get some input from some locals on what works best around eastern nc. Of course using alot larger circle hooks, is it best to just cut the hook shank after you land a shark to get it unhooked or go ahead and just unhook how you would a normal fish(with pliers of course, i like my digits). Any info will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Conventional reels work best IMHO. They hold more line and usually have some kind of baitrunner setup which is crucial when fishing for sharks. Cutting the hook is best so you don`t endanger yourself and is quicker so you can get the shark back out before it gets to stressed. Fresh bait is best. I can`t tell you what to use because they never seem to like the same thing twice.lol Last and best bit of advice i can give is make sure he`s in top shape if he`s wanting to target sharks with long rods. Even a 5 to 6 footer can put a hurting on you with the power they possess.

·
Registered
226 Posts
http://www.eastcoastsports.com/how-to-videos.html

Video on there on how to build shark rigs if that helps. I use a large spinning reel spooled with 80 lb braid. Cheap 9/0 circle hooks and live or cut menhaden. I grab the sharks by the tail and drag them in the boat, cover their eyes with a towel and use bolt cutters to cut the hook in half. Take a quick pic and release them with no danger to me or the shark. Get behind the shrimp boats as they are culling and let it fly right into the bycatch they are dumping over the side.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you're going to be near Carolina Beach let me know. I live here and shark fish a lot. I have a 6/0, 9/0, 50VSW, and 130VSX. In the sand regularly. We paddle baits out with my Cuda 14. Leaders are all cable. 16/0-20/0 hooks. I also have a Spinfisher 10500SSV and Battle 8000 we use sometimes. So if you're this way I can give you some pointers. Biggest shark for me off the NC coast is 9'3" Lemon back last September.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Get any big bloody chunk of fish behind the first bar and further with a large circle hook and wait. Hope you have big enough gear in case you hook a larger fish. When you get it about knee to thigh deep, have a couple competent and confident people get the tail rope on it and bring it in. Once you get the shark on sand, most seem pretty docile. Only one that I've ever had absolutely freak out was about a 5ft bull. That was one ****** off fish. I use big channel lock pliers to get the hook out, and most of my hooks have the barb smashed anyways. Check seafood places and fish houses for bait, or catch your own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts