NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the Jetty with Gene yesterday at high tide and man, it was intense. We got caught in a monsoon, not to mention the big waves splashing all over us. Everything was completely soaked, including my reels. I started out with my penn battle but after getting splashed a few times I took it back to the beach and grabbed my Mitchell Avocett Rz. I fished the Avocett for about three hours before it started gumming up so bad I could hardly reel. It had basically been dunked by waves every few seconds, I definitely don't blame the reel. I rinsed it and my battle off before I left the beach and disassembled them both today. It took a while but I have them both running good as new, but I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have the battle out in those waves all day. Even though it only got splashed a few times, there was water inside the housing when I opened it up. It could have been from the torrential rains, but I won't about to taste it and find out. Either way, it is a decently well sealed reel, and water found a way in.

What do people who fish places like that all the time do? Or people who take their yaks BTB. How do you keep water out of your reel or are there any that can really handle stuff like that? I'm sure that the battle would have ran longer then the mitchell did before locking up completely but if I lock up the avocett, I've ruined $29; if i lock up the battle, I'm out a little bit more cash. Next time I will probably only fish my beater reels.

P.S. anyone looking for a cheap reel for light inshore use, that little avocett has as good of drag as any sub $75 reel I've ever handled, and I've fished it HARD for bass, bowfin, drum, flounder and striper and this is the first time I have had to do anything to it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The new Penn spinfishers are supposed to be sealed. Pretty sure vann stals are built to be dunked in the surf but the price is too high. Whatever reel it is if it gets dunked it should get cleaned afterward.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm less concerned about them needing cleaning afterwards then I am about them staying usable all day in the surf or BTB. It would suck to get BTB and then have your reel lock up. Not planning to go BTB any time soon I'm just curious. The spinfisher is definitely on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Pack your reel with blue marine grease. If you like to reel in reverse sometimes cut up a coke can and make a wall for the spring to keep the grease from clogging it. Worked wonders for me because having arthritis, falling is a fact of life. I used a Pen 704z and Shimano stradic.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
[video=youtube;UUOumShc-hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOumShc-hI[/video] Alan Hawk says something like the Shimano Stella is a reel that will last 10-15 years. The Penn Torque is a reel that you will pass on to your children. I'd love one of these.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Pack was a poor choice of words, I would completely fill the body where the gears are and if I knew I was fishing rough water on the beach or jetty I would add some grease where the main shaft goes in and out of the rotor.

I would not leave you reel in a hot car as the grease will leak. Thank god I line my trunk with cardboard. And that was in NY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.