NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
They should be. Its hard to get info on the strioer on Jordan though. Everyone seems to keep it close to the vest so to speak. Hot Spot use to be around on some boards and help me out some with info on Jordan. That man knows his striper and crappie. Maybe he will see this and chime in. I was thinking about trying it out up the haw soon myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going try to slip in next week and try a couple of main lake humps out of Ebinezer as long as I can find some shad to net.With all the rain we are getting the striper and white bass should start to run up the creeks real soon if they havent started already.Anyone seen much bait around?

·
Registered
37 Posts
3-10 Report

I went on Sat. a.m. but the wind was rough. No fish resulted from a setdrifted on Parker's point.

I pulled bait for an hour yesterday, free lines and planers. I had nice big gizzards that were so strong they fought the real coming back in after an hour, but nothing pulled a line anywhere around Crosswinds, in to the bridge.

If I find them, I will post it. When I can get away from work to go, I would rather be on fish, so I will always update my results so others on here can use it to plan their hard to come by fishing trips too....

Tight lines...

B

·
Registered
37 Posts
No problem Topsail. I am glad to do it.

This is a great resource and I appreciate whichever member is the site sponsor....

I will probably try the Haw arm of the lake this weekend if the water clears up some...

I have to build a holding tank for bait at my house. Haveing to catch bait is a hinderence and I would just as soon catch them on Friday night and have them for the weekend. Anyone have ideas for holidng tanks, pm me. I have some ideas now, but experience is irreplacable.

It is funny, the years and years I fished Santee, Murray and Hartwell, we complained about 6.50 a doz for bait (herring). Man I would love to be able to just buy bait now that I work too much and fish too little....:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Very few fish have been caught in the last few months. The low water, low oxygen and high water temps last summer/fall stressed and scattered the fish and some "floaters" were reported. Some folks were even fishing and trying to release them in these conditions, not good.

Now the lake is 4 feet above normal pool which is 216 and there is trash everywhere.

My feeling it is will be a while before the fish really turn on. Too early right now. The lake and the weather need to clear up and stabilize.

Take only what you need and release the rest for tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
HOTSPOT said:
Take only what you need and release the rest for tomorrow.
I agree completely. From what I understand, the population may have been severly stressed by the drought................eat the panfish that replenish themselves easily and lets all take it easy on the stripers this year, and maybe another...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have to build a holding tank for bait at my house. Haveing to catch bait is a hinderence and I would just as soon catch them on Friday night and have them for the weekend. Anyone have ideas for holidng tanks, pm me. I have some ideas now, but experience is irreplacable.
I can give you some advice on what not to do.:eek: I bought a 100 gallon stock tank from Tractor Supply to use for keeping bait and thought I'd save a little money and get the galvanized instead of rubbermade. I'm not sure what the galvanized steel does to bait fish but they all die rather quickly. :eek: After I killed several batches of bait, I lined the tank with plastic and have since kept trout alive all winter. The problem is I don't have a way to regulate the water temperature and soon it will be too warm for the trout to survive so I'll be switching back to shinners.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I know they have the big yellow plastic tanks, wouldn't they make for a good holding tank. Then you would need a way to do some circulation like a bilge pump and let it go back into the drink

Big Blue stores or Tractor Supply usually have them.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Dave! That is the type of hands on info I needed. I will make sure to buy the plastic type. Are you filtering your water since you are holding the fish for long term.

I will let you know how long I manage to keep gizzards. I can do it for over a week with my superflow tank with carbon and ammonia granules in the filter side. But, it ruins my battery and pump running on 12 v constantly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't yet have a filter system in place, just an aquarium bubbler with two bubble stones. I have to change out part of the water every week or so and use a siphon hose to clean ths "stuff" off the bottom. I'm thinking of using a small pool filter like the kind walmart sells but just haven't done it yet.
We should probably move this to it's own thread to avoid further hijacking this one.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Maybe fix a cut off where the battery will only run every 30 minutes for 5 minutes. Has to be a way Bass boats do it all the time. Check your local bait shops

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
107 Posts
Find someone with one of those rubber pools from walmart and is not using it for anything but a frog pond and get the pump from them and build you a filter system out of two buckets with raw cotton and maybe a polester fill in the other.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.