NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post may be a bit early, but after a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG summer dealing with the crowds at Falls Lake and having to deal with a short handed staff all summer, I will finally be getting to the coast for a bit of R & R. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Anyone have any advice/predictions as to what may be running and where? Surf, Pier, Sound...makes no difference to me. I'd like to hook onto some puppies or a few spanish mackerel, but I'm not really all that picky. I'm just looking forward to the surf and the sun with my best bud and my dad at my side.

Also, any advice on baits. I plan to go with a little shrimp and mullet, but what lures are working for you guys out there.

Thanks,

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Piers, but Bogue inlet pier is the closest one to you and it is the only one left in the area so it stays crowded. I'd come on down to N Topsail/Topsail. Shrimp, mullet, mud minnows, bloodworms. Spot should be plentiful. Gotcha plugs, Diamond jigs for Spanish. I'm gonna try to get down myself to SeaView or Surfcity pier that week myself.

Reactions: rangergreg281

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Piers, but Bogue inlet pier is the closest one to you and it is the only one left in the area so it stays crowded. I'd come on down to N Topsail/Topsail. Shrimp, mullet, mud minnows, bloodworms. Spot should be plentiful. Gotcha plugs, Diamond jigs for Spanish. I'm gonna try to get down myself to SeaView or Surfcity pier that week myself.
My dad lives in PKS behind the aquarium, so we're looking to stay near there. We may hit the inlet at Ft. Macon, try the pier and possibly try the pier near the Hwy 70 bridge in Beaufort.

I know how crowded that pier gets. Brad (aka Bankandsurf) and I were fishing there this past spring and it was pretty packed.

Thanks for the info drop.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Blues will still be there - maybe Spanish - depends on how much cooling the water does in the next few weeks. Flounder, specks, drum, mullet, croaker spots and maybe a few pompano should keep you busy. If your bringing a boat you might want to try the turning basin and of course the CL jetty if it's calm and you get there early.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
finger mullet: from what I hear are thick in the surf. A Hopkins spoon or amy other chrome spoon should work just fine in the surf and on the jetty. Any plug you want to throw is liable to catch something. What will work best depends a lot on what is there at the moment and how you work the lure. Casting distance can be a major consideration at the jetty or in the surf but sometimes you don't have to worry about it. About any chrome spoon in the 1-2 oz range works good. The most popular are Krocodiles, Stingsilvers, Hopkins, Kastmasters and Mr. Champs. I use Mann-O-Lures more than anything else. There are plenty of others that are just as good as you can ask for.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Closest Ramp to Bouge Inlet is Cedar Point right at the White Oak River Bridge on 24. It has a pretty small Parking lot so you might want to get there early. It is free. No Facikities. The same goes for Shell Rock Landing down south of there near Queens Creek but you are more likely to find a parking place down there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just came back from there, a LOT of blues, also near the sun set, you can expect some large size shark near the surf.

Finger mullet wise.... you can catch a load by cast net with your eyes closed
. My newbie friend who just learned how to cast caught 3 on the first cast. They are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There are a lot of good areas and you mentioned a couple of them Greg. Either side of the jetties at Ft. Macon are excellent that time of the year. The pier at the 70 bridge that you mentioned is good and they expanded that pier this year and it is really nice for a free public pier. You can drive across the road from there to the Radio Island access. The Puppy Drum as well as Flounder should be in there then. Drive to the next bridge going into Beaufort and fish along the bridge on the sound side. A lot of Puppies come up in there as well as Trout. Then after you fish all that drive back down to Emerald Isle to the point and catch some more Puppy Drum. The last public access on the left heading towards Swansboro is a good stretch.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The report I've been getting from that area is that there are ALOT of mullets, baitfish etc, in the surf. I was down there labor day and there was alot of bait right in the surf. Lot's of sharks mixed in with these baitfish but also alot of blues and other species. If you could take a ferry, Shackleford banks might be worth your while. Good luck, I'm heading down that weekend as well so hopefully the fishing will be heating up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.