NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be cool to find some local guys, here's some of the stuff i've painted recently.

Bluegill 1

Perch

Panfish

Brownish Bass

This one is basswood, but it's shad

And some Spinnerbaits:

Bass

Shad

Chart

Another Bass

And Bluegill :)

These are fun to do! I really like the fish patterns, if you couldn't tell!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
dampeoples---Beautiful work!-- I started tying flies many years ago because I was too stingy to buy new ones and got tired of climbing trees and swimming to retrieve hung up lures. After I put much time and effort in to making some of my own--I'm still climbing trees and swimming-- I'm sure you will be going swimming if you get those beauties hung up.:)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think those are about as good as they get. I make a little bit of stuff primarily for my own use. I can't paint a lick though. I mostly stick to jigs. I have some jigging spoon molds but: While the spoons will catch fish the molds are pretty rough. That's what I get for ordering stuff from France. I have pics of the mess I made in the photo gallery but they are a little fuzzy. My version of photo shop I guess.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I make just about everything I fish with, pour some worms, spinnerbaits, jigs, it gives me a LOT of confidence while out there on the water!

I'd love to learn how to make a good wood crankbait, I've got some, but they're just pretty, they don't work as well as I'd like them too, but maybe one day :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very nice. You have not only a good eye for detail, but the talent to apply it in your work. I tie freahwater and saltwater flies. Just started about a couple of months ago. I too got tired of buying them and paying shipping charges when I could make my own. Freshwater are more difficult because they are smaller and need to be more precise in detail for trout. Saltwater can be just about any bright color combination with a touch of flash to entice a strike. You can save alot not paying 6 to 10 for crankbaits. Dave is right, dried out cedar might work well. It is light and shapeable and may be more durable than balsam. Worth a try...pretty work though, and tight lines to you.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Wow - not sure how I missed this one. Those are beautiful.

Are the crankbaits in the pics blanks or are you overpainting existing baits? Or are those the pretty wood ones you've been making yourself? Some of them look recognizable - I never thought blanks looked that good but maybe they're getting a whole lot better than I thought.

Striper and Crappie would be sweet, I never see those patterns.

2 thumbs way up!

(Curse you Sniper for posting that pick with the company initials in the graphic, which allowed their site to be found... Welcome home Mr. Tackle Monkey, welcome home...)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jeff!

Those are blanks I got from Jann's, (I think) they're all (poor) copies of Lucky Craft baits, but they make good practice fodder :)

Crappie is coming soon, still practicing bluegill, I'm almost comfortable with it :)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I understand why you wouldn't. Very, very nice.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey dampeoples - I kind of understand using screens to get the scale pattern (though it seems backward to me), but have no idea how you do the other detailing - stripes, gills, spots, and miscellaneous color overlays, whether you hand-hold templates or attach them to the bait, or if you just do everything freehand.

I know its a lot to ask, but I would be really interested in seeing photos through the process from blank to finished product that show some of the tools/template you use, how the colors get overlaid, etc...

Might even be an idea for one of these high-tech NCangler videos that Randy has been talking about???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.