NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I'm tryin to learn to flip a bait cast.
Just havin a little trouble with it.
I know practice has a lot to do with it,
but any tips would be appreciated.
I knew I was gonna have a hard time when the first
thing I did this morning was backlash a roll of paper towels!:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hookeye, I'm by no means an expert at flipping but I can get it done so to speak. One of the things that helped me most was to get a left handed reel. The idea behind flipping is to be able to make a precise presentation that enters the water as softly as possible. Done right the lures entry will be mistaken for a bug or other morsel falling into the water from the cover above. This automatically triggers a feeding instinct. Many times the strike will occur while the angler is swapping the rod and reel from his left hand to his right hand. Sometimes the strike will go unnoticed during the swap. By learning to use a left handed reel you never have this distraction. You are ready to set the hook as soon as the lure lands. You never loose contact with the lure and you can be making things happen while your buddy is still fumbling with his reel.

As for technique let out enough line so that the lure hangs beside your reel when the rod is pointed straight up and held in close at chest level. Cup the lure lightly in your left hand. Now bring both hands to waist level while dropping the rod tip to just above the water. At this point both hands are at waist level and on oppsites side of the body, one in front of each of your pants pockets. OK, let the lure fall by opening your left hand and as it arcs toward the water bring the rod tip up as you extend your right arm up and out letting the line release but maintaining control with your thumb. Stop the spool just long enough to prevent backlash and them free spool the lure down controling the spool with light thumb pressure. Engage the gears and set the hook and hoss him in . I use a left handed Shimano Black Magnum on an old glass diawa flipping rod and a min. of 17 lb mono. You can use up to 30 lb test to slow your lures sink rate. I prefer to use 17 lb or 20lb and use a lure that is bulky and designed to sink slow. I feel that this gives a less obvious presentation. For fishing docks and bulkheads in clear water you can benefit from switching to 12 lb line. Just make sure your lure don't sink too fast.
You would probably benifit by starting out with a 3/4 oz sinker and using a plastic lid about 4" in dia. as a target. Try to keep the sinker as close to the ground as you can. When it lands on the lid softly 5 of 10 tries switch to 1/2 oz. Start with the lid at 18' and increase the distance to 25' after you move to 1/2 oz. Then practice with 3/8 oz at 25 and so on till you can get a 1/4 oz to about 30'; all you need to do then is go on the tour.:D tip Use the cover as a backstop. If you hit it softly it will sound like a bug hitting it and when it hits the water, that is clue #2 to Mrs. Bass that it's time to eat. At this point a slow sink rate will draw strikes. If not let it go to the bottom and sitfor a 5 count before working it back slowly. Saftey advise wear a good pair of polycarbonate polarized sunglassesto help you see under the water and foremost to protect your eyes as this is close range work and you will ocasionally have a lure come flying back at you. if you set the hook before you feel the fish's weight, you greatly increase the odds of this happening.
Flipping is a modernization of the old stumpknocking technique explained by Fojoloy today on another post. Any information you can find on stump knocking and jiggerbobbing should help your flipping. One more plug for the black magnum: it has a drag system that lets you instantly back the drag off by turning the drag 1/8 turn backwards. This is a desirable function for this type fishing as it is close cover work at first nd you will be fighting big fish at boatside, AL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks Sinker Man!
I really appreciate your knowledge and replying to my question.
I have to buy another baitcaster because the one I have is broken.
I have a pinnacle but it really isn't the right kind of reel.
I'm thinking about trying out a fairly low budget diawa or something
that has a flippin switch on it. I don't do too bad with my other one
however it just wasn't made for that type of fishin.Once again thanks
greatly for sharing your knowlege with me on this topic as I will apply
it as much as possible.
Aaron

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) Well I 've done it.

I purchased a good reel with a flippin switch on it.
Been practicing and applying your advice.
Got a 1/4 ounce to go 20 to 30 feet and with pretty good
accuracy. Caught 3 good bass today using a dropshot rig.
Nothing like it. I also missed several as I set too soon.
You were right, In my face the rig went. I'm left handed too
so as far as changing hands , I don't do that, and this keeps me in touch
with my lure presentation at all times, a big plus.
Once again , thanks for the great tips! You really helped me out alot!
I still have a way to go before hitting the big tourneys;) .
Aaron

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sounds like you are on your way now. Good equipment makes a big difference. For some reason when I've been checking for new posts this thread wasn't coming up. Sorry I missed your earlier replies. I don't get to do much flippin' around my home waters here because the lakes are mostly clear and deep but it is a very versatile technique once you get it down. You would be suprised how much you can use it in saltwater applications too. The shimano black magnum I use for flipping doesn't have a flipping switch but it works so well for me that I wouldn't want one on it. Being left handed has it's good points and bad points, but the ability to use any reel without having to switch hands is a big plus. It wasn't a big deal for me to reel lefty since I grew up using spinning reels. I've heard a lot of people say they couldn't get the hang of it but I doubt they spent much more than 5 min. trying. Just human nature to take what appears to be the easy road. One more tip. You can flip with a spinning rod for a little more distance but it is not usually necessary and a lot less efficient. Usually the only time I use a spinning rod this way is wadefishing for specks and red fish or if in FL for snook. It's a good thing to be practiced at when you spot a good fish close in while you are wading. Fish can be really spooky in clear shallow water. About the only times you need it when wading you are in shallow enough water to pull it off. If you are knee deep it is too difficult to flip with a bait caster but with a spinning outfit you can shorten your initial drop and still get decent distance and a soft landing. Accuracy isn't a problem but you have to learn to feather the line with your index finger for distance control. Again this type fishing calls for polarized
polycarbonate sunglasses.
I hope you enjoy flippin as much as I do as it is a fun way to catch better fish. Best of luck. ;) AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sorry Fellows--- I must pass on this one. I come from the era of old level wind reels, split bamboo and steel rods. Some days your first cast would be your last. It would take a week sometimes to pick out and untangle a major backlash. :eek: Had to, no way I could afford a new line. For me ,outside of trolling, if it can't be done with a spinner or fly rod, it will have to go undone. I know they have pretty well perfected bait casters and I own some, just too many old bad memories to use them, first backlash and I would probably chunk overboard.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Fojoloy, flipping is just a modern version of stump knockin' and I know you know how that's done. Flippin is about the same except you normally are using a baitcaster and target bass. I even use the technique when wade fishing if I spot a good fish close in. (as long as the water isn't too deep.) Spinning tackle works best there. The whole idea is to drop your bait right in the zone real soft or gently bounce it off the cover and into the zone. I figgered you might share some insights that we might put to good use since you had done some stump knockin'. :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
OK. Just don't make me use a bait caster. :) I really can't add any more than you have already outlined. I can use an open face spinner and do same things you outlined in your previous post, plus make a slingshot out of it in close cover. I do very little freshwater fishing anymore, but when I did, I always prefered my fly rod to bounce popping bugs and ants off stumps and underbrush. I got tired of climbing trees to retrieve lures is the main reason I started tying flies. For me, it's difficult to explain the how to's, but I know how it's done. Practice and practice, I guess.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
South bend makes a 10'3" 2pc salmon rod rated for 2-8 lb test that is excellent for stump knockin' . I can't imagine catching a 20 lb steelhead or salmon on it though. I've got one stuck back just in case I get a chance.;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i learn to do it standing on the tail gate of my truck. i still am refining it my self. i can get a pitch to land quitely but a flip hits the water like a flounder rig. a lefty reel is a must. i pitch and flip with 2 differant sticks a mh 7 foot rod and a 7'6'' fliping stick i normally use jigs on the longer rod 3/8-3/4oz the mh i find pitches lighter texas rigged baits very well i use 1/8-3/16oz weights on it. pitching /flipping is more effective in stained to muddy water.

if you are new to pitching/flipping i recomend a video that bass pro has. van dams pitching to heavy hitters. the best -most informative -video i have seen on pitching/flipping it goes in depth into reel set up and rod choice. he does NOT try to sell the product just explain how to use it and when...

zooker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.