Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apparently have nestled in Poison Ivy...or
Poison Oak...
Any suggestions would be considered.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Turpentine or bleach. Scrub with a wash cloth and soap then apply turpentine or bleach liberally.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did the Bleach...that Hurt...Alot.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I'm one of the lucky people immune to it....

But my ex had a big issue with it...

Are you talking bumps or weeeping sores? They treat the first with some type of prescription ointment, and the second with bandages and steroid shots.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
[h=2]Home Remedies for Poison Ivy[/h] According to the FDA, as soon as you realize that you have been exposed to the poison ivy plant, it is imperative that you clean the affected area with rubbing alcohol. Then wash the skin with plain water. Do not use soap as this can merely spread the urushiol resin around the body and make the rash worse. Later you can take a shower and wash the entire body with water and a mild soap. To ensure that the infection does not spread, wipe everything that you have been wearing including clothes and shoes with rubbing alcohol. The sooner you take action, the less severe your reaction to the poison ivy. In case rubbing alcohol is not available, there are commercially available products such as wipes and scrubs specially created to treat poison ivy that can be used instead. In the absence of access to medical facilities, home remedies can come in quite handy in the treatment of a poison ivy rash:

• Home remedies for poison ivy rash include applying a cold compress using water or even milk to the affected areas. An oatmeal bath can bring relief against itchy skin and can dry up the oozing blisters as well. If the rash has affected your eyes however, you will need immediate medical attention. You may be prescribed an oral antihistamine to treat poison ivy around the eyes as creams and lotions cannot be used.
  • If the reaction to poison ivy is severe (especially in cases of children), stay calm and visit your emergency room at the earliest. If the person who has been exposed to the poison ivy can swallow, give him an oral antihistamine as soon as possible. If there is difficulty in breathing you may need to use a bronchodilator as prescribed by your doctor. Poison ivy reactions can be severe enough to cause dizziness or a feeling of lightheadedness. If this happens, lie down and raise your legs above the height of your head to increase the blood flow to the brain. An epinephrine injection may be used for allergic reactions that are serious. When visiting your doctor or emergency room make sure you inform the staff of any allergies you have to certain medications.
  • However, these are worst-case scenarios and most of the times, simple home remedies can treat a poison ivy rash. Poison oak treatments and home remedies include applying calamine lotion on the affected area for instant relief from pain and itching. Calcium supplements and foods high in beta-carotene can boost the immune system and help reduce the severity of the rash. Poison ivy home remedies such as making a paste with water and baking soda, oatmeal, cornstarch or Epsom salts can reduce the blistering and swelling and prevent the rash from spreading.
  • Other home remedies for poison ivy itch includes applying watermelon rind on the rash or aloe vera juice. These dry out the area and reduce the rash immediately as well.
Home remedies and treatment for poison ivy are generally targeted towards providing relief for symptoms such as itching and pain. Unfortunately the rash and blisters cannot be eliminated completely and the infection has to run its normal course. If you scratch the blisters you could also cause a secondary infection to set in that may be more painful than the poison ivy rash itself. Rubbing the affected areas with banana peel can offer quick relief from itching and pain if done regularly. Burdock root tea is an effective herbal treatment for poison ivy rash. This tea can be drunk or even applied to the rash to dry it up.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Oatmeal bath and slopped down with Calamine lotion, take Benadryl and don't use any creams, lotions. The trick is to dry out the weeping sores that spread the stuff. I have also patted, not wiped, wiping can spread it, the areas with lacquer thinner, Burns but the lacquer thinner dries out the skin deeper than alcohol.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've always heard the oatmeal and calamine/benadryl lotion as well.

I'm also luckily immune to it... I could use a fresh vine for t.p. and not get it lol...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
This is something I've had dealings with a multitude of times, and serious. If it's out of hand this quickly go to the doctor and get it knocked out. IF YOU DON'T and some of these home remedies that folks are mentioning don't work (I've tried them all and more) YOU'LL BE SORRY. If it's just a few little bumps: no worries. If it's welping and spreading quickly go to the doc. I've had this somewhere around a million times. Before it gets where your eyes are swollen shut and it's "in your blood" and your forearms and ankles are swollen to double sizes just go ahead and seek medical attention, that simple.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I use to look at it and get it when I was a youngin. Never serious enough to require a doctor though.
As I aged, it quit bothering me. I reckon I got dosed enough earlier.

If all else fails...pee on it.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I use to look at it and get it when I was a youngin. Never serious enough to require a doctor though.

If getting dosed enough early in life would keep you from getting it then I could eat it for dinner and have no problem. My mom is terribly allergic so maybe that's where it came from.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info....Note to self..."When looking for a Snake whilst trying to retrieve a Big Bass...that has broken your Rod...One should look for Mean Plant's instead....the Heck with the Snake's." :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
x3 on Calamine lotion/spray. I am just getting over a bad case myself from walking through some woods trying to fish a new pond:rolleyes: Been using the spray when I wake up after a shower and lotion before bed and it has almost gone away completely in 1 weeks time.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Prednisone if it is bad enough. Been there done that. Had it so bad on my face one time I looked like Harvey Two Face.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ive had it real bad too many times to count. can never get any lotions or creams or oral medications to work. easist way i figured out was to make sure i got it on my face and my boys downstairs so the doctors feel so sorry for you they give you the steroid shot. gone in 2 days vs waiting the 14days for it to go away on its own.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
ive had it real bad too many times to count. can never get any lotions or creams or oral medications to work. easist way i figured out was to make sure i got it on my face and my boys downstairs so the doctors feel so sorry for you they give you the steroid shot. gone in 2 days vs waiting the 14days for it to go away on its own.
My thoughts exactly. I've had the pills/shot/creams and everything else under the sun. Nothing works on a severe case better than the ol' doc....

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

This was me too. I had it once so bad it was under my eye lids and everywhere in between all the way to my toes. Helping my grandpa clear a brush pile out and then set fire to it. That one took the doc to cure. Fortunately I don't get it anymore.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Xx Calamine......oooohhhhhhhh soooo...Nice
Thanks yall.

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.