NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on spots? My brother and I are going fishing Saturday and have always heard about the spot run but never had any luck actually being there when the fish are. Any info is very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They are here. Fish the deeper cuts in the ICW or off the piers. Seem to bite better on an east wind around my parts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Full moon and SW winds = slow..

Reactions: flound1

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't trust the reports all the time...Coolers are getting filled randomly...seaview pier in topsail has seen several very large waves of yellow bellies moving through, but they don't hang out for long. Got a buddy who was catching them 2 at a time last week for an hour and they shut off like a light.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't trust the reports all the time...Coolers are getting filled randomly...seaview pier in topsail has seen several very large waves of yellow bellies moving through, but they don't hang out for long. Got a buddy who was catching them 2 at a time last week for an hour and they shut off like a light.
I was interested in taking my boat around the Beaufort draw bridge since there are good reports of spots but my brother wants to do some pier fishing.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I was interested in taking my boat around the Beaufort draw bridge since there are good reports of spots but my brother wants to do some pier fishing.
Word on the street is the evenings into the night have been good there. I was there two days ago and watched 15-20 boats and didn't see a single fish caught. That said there is some awesome fishing along the beach for Spanish, blues, albacore, and kings.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If it were me I'd go to Seaview, I like the pier. I would hit it early afternoon and play with the Spanish while I soaked some baits then after dark kick back and soak bait for spots while I entertained myself between hits jigging or popping bobber the pilings for a wandering trout, maybe drag a Carolina rig and a white paddle tail with a strip of "something" fish, squid etc. In case a flounder is hungry..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it were me I'd go to Seaview, I like the pier. I would hit it early afternoon and play with the Spanish while I soaked some baits then after dark kick back and soak bait for spots while I entertained myself between hits jigging or popping bobber the pilings for a wandering trout, maybe drag a Carolina rig and a white paddle tail with a strip of "something" fish, squid etc. In case a flounder is hungry..
Sundrop, you must have read my mind. We were talking about Seaview and making plans to go. Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We hit Seaview pier Friday night and fished part of Saturday. Caught spots, mullet and small croakers. Hung something huge that went under the pier and broke me off on a piling! Whatever it was doubled an Ugly Stik medium heavy rod and I was turning him back-recovering some line when he broke off. We had a great time!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I know where the spot fishermen are ;) EI bridge area and Swansboro bridge area..................and apparantly you need to fish right in the middle of the ICW to catch fish. I did see them catch a few.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I know where the spot fishermen are ;) EI bridge area and Swansboro bridge area..................and apparantly you need to fish right in the middle of the ICW to catch fish. I did see them catch a few.
They weren't catching any on Friday. Neither did I.....

Back to buying my spots for consumption. I'll stick to catching trout and drum.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I made several trips through the Turning Basin last week. Saw some boats in the usual places, but not in the numbers you usually see when the spots are thick. Like Trigger, I didn't see a fish caught while I watched. Let's see what this week brings. Meanwhile, the Kountry Kitchen's fried spots are so good that if you put one on your head, your tongue would beat your hair out trying to get at it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.