NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started surf fishing this year with my 6 yr old son and went to Fort Fisher last weekend and tried my luck and was wondering if anyone on here surf fishes that area a lot... If you see a grey 05 king cab Z71 with a slide in Camper on the back that says Skamper on it and has FHB on the back door of it stop by and say hi.... Been going to the Outerbanks but that 6 hour drive with these high gas prices is a killer so I started going to Fort Fisher which is only a 2 hour drive and not so bad to make a suicide run to... Oh yeah and alls I can say about last weekend is BLUEFISH BLUEFISH BLUEFISH and more BLUEFISH!!!:cool:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Howdy!!

Which part of the state do you drive 6 hours from? Kinda sounds like south of Wake Co, if I had to guess...

A bunch of guys from my church (in Raleigh) hit Buxton a couple of weeks ago, and also found plenty of blues to go around. Well, proverbially.... all I caught was a half-dozen baitfish. Didn't even get a stick.

I've taken the kayak to Ft. Fisher, but never tried the surf, always been between the river and the barrier islands. I don't have a 4x4, so I probably can't expect to get much further than the park area... without the kayak, that is... :D

Anyhow, welcome aboard! I hope you find what you're looking for!
Lefty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rockingham, Hamlet area leaves me about a 6 hour drive from here to the Outerbanks... I try to get there atleast once a month and lately in the mean time I have been going to Fort Fisher and trying it out since it doesnt take that long to get there... Ill be heading your way tomorrow there lefty! My wife and I are taking the kids to the state fair kinda wanted to go fishing and my son did too but looks like that aint happening.... Im thinking of heading back up to Frisco or Corolla next weekend for about 3 or 4 days and try my luck for some drum or whatever else comes along.... Ohh by the way I normally take I95 to rocky Mt and get on 64 and go from there... Anybody know a quicker way if there is one??? Normally can roll pretty good on 95 and 64....

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thats the quickest route and easiest to travel so stick with it. Good luck to you. Be sure and check surf temps and wind speed/direction before you go and that helps you know what to expect ( if that works at all in fishing..LOL)!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the quickest route and easiest to travel so stick with it. Good luck to you. Be sure and check surf temps and wind speed/direction before you go and that helps you know what to expect ( if that works at all in fishing..LOL)!!

I learned my lesson about that... I went a few weeks ago and the wind and seaweed was so bad it was almost unfishable... Came back a day early due to it all.... Sure is a long ride to end up coming back early due to something like that...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'll be heading your way tomorrow there lefty! My wife and I are taking the kids to the state fair kinda wanted to go fishing and my son did too but looks like that aint happening....
Heh heh, on closing day, I'll be keeping my distance from that madhouse! :D I would suggest you put the family on a bus from the park'n'ride and let's go fishing while they endure the crowds... but I don't think I can break away for more than about 30 minutes...

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh heh, on closing day, I'll be keeping my distance from that madhouse! :D I would suggest you put the family on a bus from the park'n'ride and let's go fishing while they endure the crowds... but I don't think I can break away for more than about 30 minutes...

Enjoy!!

Yep I am dreading it... I hear ya on the mad house we bout to head out now so if I dont make it back out of the madhouse its been nice talking to ya... LOL!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.