NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody Use A Flyrod???????????????????????????

have had a good time on this site, but have talked about mostly largemouths and stripers on bait and artificials. anybody here flyrod for smallies, trout or maybe MUSKIES? am slowly getting into bugging for largemouth but don't have many opprotunities on this side of nc except for some private ponds. fish alot in the park ( great smoky mtns.) and also fish the nantahala and tuckaseegee, and smallmouths on the french broad and little tennessee. anyone want to swap stories or patterns let me hear from ya.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I do, from brim to small mouth and ocasionally stripers. Seems to be a good board we just need to get the word out about it so more people can chime in on the posts. Do you get the chance to fish the New River?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to hear from you sammy. haven't fished much of the new but have always wanted to float it . most of the people I fish with think its too far of a drive. so we fish the french broad and little tenn. not to say that they are lousy rivers but fishing the same places gets old. (the new is only about 20 miles further away than the little tennessee, and I can't figure that one out.) would like to catch some stripers on my 9 weight tried it recently on the haw but was skunked. caught some white bass so i won't complain. like you said , hope more people find this board if you have any experience on the new, let me hear about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in the foot hills and do some pond flyfishing for brim and bass. When time is short it can help make my day alot better. The new is great in the heat of summer and well worth the trip, but gotta say I love the mountains for trout and also fish the Nanty, Tuck, GSMNP and so on. Drop me an e-mail sometime and we can share streams some time.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thanks for making that point Sammy. I hope everyone that is enjoying the board will email their fishing friends to tell them about it. Thanks!

Sammy Mickel said:
Seems to be a good board we just need to get the word out about it so more people can chime in on the posts. Do you get the chance to fish the New River?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
moodytrout. where do you put in on the new? if I can pick your brain for some information. if you don't want to give up your sweet spots, I understand, just point me in the general direction .do some spots fish better than others? don't have alot of experience on the new but from what I've heard and read it's a great place especially for a float trip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally, I make the trip to the VA part of the New River. Just seems to be better fishing. Most of the places I fish are wadeable, a canoe or kayak is great for getting across the holes. A five wieght has been the weapon of choice for fly rods and if you have a 8'6" it just makes it a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's the thing about these boards, you have no idea who you're talking to. Next thing you know, old Moody will be saying something like, "Yeah, I've guided some in the past." or " Yeah, my profession is a trout, smallie guide." What he means is guiding them from the plate to his drooling lips with a fork. Just kidding folks, ya'll are talking to one of the best trout, smallie fishing dudes I have ever floated a river with. About ever fish he catches will run him into his backing because he's got that much line out from his casting. He'll come around a bend in The New, anchor, fish it to the next bend, pull his anchor, and then float on down the 1/4 mile to the next bend and do it all over again. What you gonna be doing all the time he's doing this? Laughing!! That man can keep you laughing harder, longer, and louder than anybody I have ever known before. Yep, he's a good fishing guide and a buddy.

:DlynS

PS: Hey Moody, the $50.00. You can put it on me when get together next.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:) Thanks for the plug Big O :D Folks I fish in the rain too, all this rain is killing me with clients rescheduling. Put your rain gear on and lets go fishing.

Big O I am ready- let me know where and when.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moody, I got me a brand new gore-tex rain jacket for Christmas. I field tested it at PFF 11 and it sure did work good. My new Echo 7'6" 3wt didn't get much of a workout though. I am sooooo ready to go. Just call me and I'll be hanging on to the mailbox ready to jump in the back of that yellow pickemup you drive.

Let's get'r'done
:DlynS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Anybody Use A Flyrod???????????????????????????

I flyfish for largemouths, brim, and when I find them carp, in many lakes and ponds in my area, which is Wilmington. I have fished saltwater all my life, and frankly I enjoy the change of scenery, as strange as that may sound.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
crackfordays--- Being in Wilmington, you may be missing one of the most fun and productive fly fishing experiences in the country. If you haven't fly fished the Cape Fear River by boat about 5 miles upstream from Navassa or Leland, you are missing one. In the 70's the old Royster plant was a customer. The plant mgr. and I would often take a jon boat about 5 miles upstream, always on falling tides . He used a cane pole and popper, I used fly rod with popper. We would drift within casting distance of shore, bouncing poppers off cypress tree trunks and inside rotted out tree stumps standing flush with the water. They called it "stump knocking". We would always load up with, bream, bass, crappie, warmouths, catfish, and of course huge gars which we would have to break off. A plus is the scenery, old rice plantation flood gates, much wildlife, and many gators, a trip worthwhile, even if you don't fish.

Regards , Forrest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man that sounds great. I enjoy boating on the river, but have been 100% unsuccessful fishing the cape fear with live bait and artificials.

I have been wanting to catch a gar for quite sometime. Would you say there is a decent population of gar on the cape fear? If so, what is my best bet at hooking up with on?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
crackfordays--- Key to success in this area is catching proper falling tide conditions for fishing and getting a proper drift. People that live around river can give you tide time difference for upstream locations. Water will sometimes be brackish on high tides, low tides bring an influx of fresh river water. As for gars they were always more plentiful than we cared for, they always pulled us off coarse when they hooked up. We always used # 6 white or yellow poppers. Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One thing Fojoloy didn't elaborate on is the old rice paddy gates. Fish these outflows on the falling falling tide for some good largemouth action. The flatheads have decimated the panfish populations in the river in the last 15 yrs. I'm sure they are putting a hurtin' on the bass too now. Those flood gate areas are also catfish feeding stations on the outgoing tide. If you don't get any fly action it might be because a big flathead is in the area. When one of them is in the area the fish get scarce in a hurry. A 3-4 inch live bait should catch him if he is still there. A large sparcely tied clouser would be my fly of choice to target flatheads around the floodgates.(not that I've tried them there.) Otherwise I think Fojoloy covered it. Just don't expect to catch as many panfish as they did; thanks to the flatheads that have been introduced into the river. Al

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been flyfishing for about a year now. I actually had a rod for years but didnt use it. Then last christmas I took a Fly-Tying class. Since then I look foward to my weekly trip like a kid waiting for Christmas. I live near Asheville so I fish Mills River, Bent Creek, Davison River ad even the Laural on occasion. What has me curious is that some of you said you fish the French Broad. I work near bent creek so the french broad is a stones throw away. I never tried fishing it because its so huge compaired to my little streams. I dont have a boat to float it but do yall think I would do any good bank fishing it? and what should I use? I only have a 5wt rood with matching Line. I usualy use 6x tippet. Would the fish in the French be way out of my gears limits?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beadhead, the broad has some good stretches to bank fish from, but why not wade it. the section around the long shoals exit on I-40 is perfect. your 5 weight is great for smallies but there are some muskies in that stretch, especially near where bent creek flows into the broad. so it might not be too unrealistic to have a muskie swipe at your clouser or big bead head booger. I fish for them with a flyrod and can honestly say that a smaller bait can get strikes. it might be getting late in the year for popper action on the french broad, so big boogers clousers and sculpin patterns with a lot of lead are the ticket. the section around craggy prison near weaverville is worth looking into for bank access

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.