NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went this evening in the yak from 5:30 until 7. Not a fish. Had a couple tiny fish slap at my bait but I'm not sure they were even bass. Odd for me to not have any action at all. This is a great time of year. Thanks for any input/insight.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Fished from 12:15 to 5:00 on a small river (float/paddle down, paddle back, wading up rapids). Struggled to get bit. Three bass, two of them on spinnerbaits. Largest 16.75 inches. Lost a nice one. Saw lots of minnows, but bass and panfish seemed really in a negative mood. First time in that place, so I don't have anything to compare to, but things just seemed "off", somehow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fished at shearon harris today from 2 to 530. I caught 3 bass, biggest was 18 inches. I caught 2 on a lipless crankbait. The third I caught using a speedcraw with no weight throwing over thick grass. That was the 18 incher. I would never have ever thrown a weightless speedcraw in my life if it weren't for this forum. It got me a 3.5 pounder with an assist to you guys. It was a little warmer than usual today so that could have slowed them a bit.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts

Wonder if the up and down pressure today might have had them thrown off? I didn't get to fish, but when something weird happens I'm always thinking about blaming the barometer.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I can't speak for the small waters, pond and rivers, but as far as the lakes go, bass fishing is tougher now mainly because there are shad everywhere. With so much for the bass to eat, they have easy pickings and are full much of the time. It's similar to when the cicadas hatch and fall on the water in large numbers.

I have found that reaction baits can overcome their hesitation. Even when the fish are full, they are still likely to hit a reaction bait nearby. They might not chase it as much as if the shad weren't so concentrated, but they will hit it if it's close to them. Make lots...and I mean LOTS...of casts and your chances of hooking up gets higher.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll agree on the reaction strikes. The two hits I did manage to get was while the lure was just slapping the water or when it was moving quickly right before I pulled it out to recast.

The other fish seem to have some type of lockjaw as well....I went for yellow perch/bluegill/anything that would bite a live crawler and only got two perch....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
When they hit your plastics, did they hit immediately, when it dropped off a log or rock or were you able to pull it a long way before they bit? Plastics can still be reaction depending on how they fall and are fished.

In my thinking, a spinner bait is not a good reaction bait unless its dropped right on them or if you hit some wood or other cover with it, making it deflect.

For me, I have been catching a good number of bass with a super fluke and jerk bait, both fished relatively quickly. Just gotta make lots of casts.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I didnt fish Monday but no doubt in my mind I could have had a decent day on Jordan, Falls or Kerr. Fall is my favorite time to fish tied with winter, spring and summer.

Only time I think about barometric pressure is when I am jacking jaws after the front and nobody else is fishing because the barometer isnt right.:)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I didnt fish Monday but no doubt in my mind I could have had a decent day on Jordan, Falls or Kerr. Fall is my favorite time to fish tied with winter, spring and summer.

Only time I think about barometric pressure is when I am jacking jaws after the front and nobody else is fishing because the barometer isnt right.:)
I agree I never pay attention to bare others, moon phase s etc. all I do,is,look at the watch and decide if I,have time to fish. If I do I go and if I catch something I am happy. Sort of glad to hear it's slow for everyone right now thought it was just lake lynn being finiky

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
184 Posts
fished my home lake, Lake Reidsville, yesterday. only caught 2 bass, a 3 lber an a 2 lber. been really slow for me the last couple wks. need to get back down to Mayo! Fished Buggs Tues for stripers an caught one, fished there for crappie Sun an only had 19 keepers. slow every where for every thing! we need some stable conditions, IMHO. goin to SML for crappie an stripers this w/e. gonna have to wrap up to stay dry an warm! tis the season...

·
Registered
184 Posts

I think like this every time I go fishin, also! But I still have days when I get skunked...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.