NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever been squid fishing on the NC coast and if so where, when and with what? I think it would be a lot of fun to do this with the kids (their teenagers now but they're still my kids! :)). Plus my oldest son and I love fried calamari and sushi, but raw squid? Not so much. ;) It would be interesting to do this for food and bait. If you've got any info I'd love to hear it.

BTW I saw this information on "Glow in the Dark" lures while looking for squid fishing info. Interesting....http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/fishing-lures.aspx

·
Registered
145 Posts
squid fishing

NCangler, I'm glad you started this one, as I am also interested in finding some squid. hope someone comes forward soon with some info on this. Personal thought on this is the water may be too warm around here for them. Also believe they prefer a rocky bottom and all I've found around here is sandy bottom. Al

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Don't know much (well really, anything) about squid fishing. I do know we have plenty of hard bottom with ledges and rock piles. That is where we do most of our bottom fishing. Do need a boat to get to them though. If ya need some GPS numbers, let me know via a private message.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
almiyo, the water isn't too warm here but I don't know where to tell you to find concentrations. I've seen them targeted and caught from bob hall pier near Corpus Christi, TX and Dan Russell Pier in Panama City Beach Pier IN PCB, FL. That tells me that squid can deal with 80 degree water temps. AL

·
Registered
145 Posts
squid fishing

Sinker Man, I was just thinking (too warm) as on the Pacific coast we caught them on a sebicki rig(sp) and that water around Monteray never gets much above 50o. Used to be you could fill a 5gal paint bucket in about fifteen min. I'm still looking for them. Can't get out again until Sunday, and hopeing the weather man coops. Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Al, I just googled NC squid and on the first page of hits was this thread, but right above it was NOAA'S Illex Squid Harvest report which is currently 1.3 million pounds for the year with 95% or so of that being July, Aug.,and Sept. . . I suspect this is taking place around the offshore seamounts and north of Cape Hatteras but I don't know. Usually squid fisheries take place in areas of upwelling currents. These currents sweep nutrients off the bottom and up into the upper water column providing Phytoplankton with the nutrients they need to grow and reproduce rapidly and the Zooplankton feed on the Phytoplankton which in turn feed the small fish and larger zooplankton. This inturn feeds the squid which in turn feed larger prey. I'm not sure when or where to target squid inshore but I'm pretty sure you can get a few inshore if you learn where and when. AL

·
Registered
145 Posts
squid fishing

Hey guys; I just had a brain wave, those are really rare on Monday mornings, but just a thought, are any of you fellows aquainted with or casually know any of the shrimp boat captains that run out of Sneads Ferry. Maybe we could coax some info out of one of them, and find out if they ever get any squid in their nets. Just a thought, ya-all have a safe and good day. Al

·
Registered
525 Posts
Squid fishing is extremely popular around Long Island and for some distance down the Jersey shore. It is also popular south of here. I have caught small ones while using a sabiki rig catch bait on some of AR's in 75' to 90' of water, but have never targeted them. The lure folks use is called - ready for this - a squid jig. It kinda looks a sputnik surf sinker or small football with a series of spikes which serve as hooks at the lower end of the lure. I understand the best results are at night as they are nocturnal creatures.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've never heard of recreational fishing for squid in the carolinas...ive done it in NY though and its a blast

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
We have caught a few in the winter by "accident". Usually around AR 366 & 368 in Dec/Jan according to my records. Was there fishing for "something" else and jigged up a few squid. No idea if that is a regular spot for them that time of year but I have caught them there in a least 2 different years.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No idea where to find 'em but this thread has me singing.

"
All sizes of figures with squid lines and jiggers,
They congregate here on the squid-jiggin' ground."

(SONG: SQUID-JIGGIN' GROUND by A.R. Scammell)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just found this on YouTube. Lots of great info on squid fishing. I think he was lecturing in Australia as he referred to their spring as being in October/September but I would think the information would still be applicable... He talks about location at the 8:05 time mark.

[video=youtube_share;huLEEdUfSvY]http://youtu.be/huLEEdUfSvY[/video]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great Thread, but from what I've not learned from any locals in the Swansboro/Hubert area, about squiding, isn't helping me much either.
Being originaly from CT., it was a twice a year, every year outting for my wife and son and I to go squidding, and it's a blast! We usually took trips to RI, famouse for it's spring and fall run. Yes, I do believe they are migratory, due to the fact that they only arrived twice a year, in the CT/RI waters. April to June and again late Sept to around late Nov. One does not need a boat, my best guess so far would be the piers here in NC, that go out into the ocean, like Bogue Pier. Also, with permission, I'de bet the Marinas, close to open water or not so far from, would be solid choices also. Once you get close or into brackish water, the squid will not be there. Yo-Zori makes some of the best squid jigs out there. Best time for us has always been at hours when most others are in deep sleep,LOL, Midnight to Dawn, but sunset can be hot also. When no day light is left, one should use a light source, anything from a lantern to generator and flood light. Light should be hung as close to water surface as possible and jigs worked in the lighted area, I find best is the area where the light just starts to turn into darkness again, outer reaches of the light, but sometimes it will be wall to wall squid in the brightest spot. For my family, it's some of the greatest eatting seafood out there, fresh calamari is hard to beat, when made from fresh caught squid. My wife, being a Filipina, has about a dozen different ways to prepair squid, all very good. Not to mention, it makes for great Fluke (summer flounder) and Tuna bait, and cut bait as well. Freezes well and and has about a 3 to 4 month freezer life. I'll be doing some more research on it and will be glad to share what I learn here. My guess is those squid migrate down this way in the winter monthes here, say Late Nov all the way to maybe March...Hopefully I will find out soon. Here is a great site all about Squid Fishing, lots of nice links also. I'm a member there and I'll be asking to start a Southern USA East Coast Forum there. It's based out of Aussie Land, lots of Squiders there, but has some solid followers from New England, USA area and the Cali / West Coast USA....... Hope this is okay to post, if not, I'll be glad to remove...
Ned
Link: http://www.squidfish.net/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, for some reason the fishermen around the Hatteras either don't know or don't want you to know about squid fishing in Pamlico bay. The Shrimp fishermen catch plenty of small squid in their nets. May and june you can find squid at night in three to 10 feet of water but you must use bright lights. Towards October and November you can start to see 15 to 20 inch squid but you must look around and again in shallow areas and then go deep. Flashers or fishFinders are a must. Have a nice trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.