NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently planning a backpacking trip to Alaska for a few weeks in July and am looking for any suggestions on what to do. I will most likely be spending most of my time in Wrangell St. Elias National Park but was looking for some stuff to do in Anchorage while I wait for the rest of my party to get there. Thought about fishing the Gulkana river since it will be close to the park but Alaska just has so many different options. Any help or suggestions would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am currently planning a backpacking trip to Alaska for a few weeks in July and am looking for any suggestions on what to do. I will most likely be spending most of my time in Wrangell St. Elias National Park but was looking for some stuff to do in Anchorage while I wait for the rest of my party to get there. Thought about fishing the Gulkana river since it will be close to the park but Alaska just has so many different options. Any help or suggestions would be awesome.
Pick a direction and walk. Be very aware of your surroundings up there...Grizz gets big!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Fish Ship Creek downtown Anchorage for monster kings. Seward ( a small drinking town with a fishing problem) by train is a great trip too and you could go out for halibut.

It looks like a sewer but it's loaded with them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duulmz7c7Ww

This was a reasonable drive from town http://akfishbonecharters.com/about.html and it's a super cool the road stops here end of world spot.

Don't fish in the city park-----about two people a month get eaten by grizzly no kidding.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I fished on Kodiak Island a few years back. All you need is a cheap rod and some spoons with green or orange on them. Caught pinks all day long in the rivers. They average 8#, taste great grilled or smoked. Find a tackle shop and ask. If the salmon are running, you'll know. People line the banks in some places. If you want a more remote setting, watch for bears and moose. You don't want to get too close to either.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I went 2 years ago and LOVED IT!! some of the best fishing i've ever done by far... while in anchorage, rent a car and drive up to coopers landing, its about an hr and a half away but well worth the trip! There are guys there that will take you on a float trip or you can just fish from the landing or about anywhere else you can find off the side of road along the river.. If you do go, find this guy in pic on the left, best guide there.. sorry cant remember his name
Water Footwear Trousers Sky Cloud
Also, i highly recommend you guys getting up to denali if possible and do the bus tour, very nice scenic tour. Worth evry penny. we seen bear, moose, caribou and lots of doll sheep. Seward was great as well, that'd be your halibut trip spot. you will enjoy every where in between all those places as well

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks for the replies guys.

Definitely will watch out for the Grizz...I saw quite a few last year in Glacier National Park incluing a big sow with her cubs. They are great animals to observe from a distance.

ND, appreciate the advice there. I will be in Anchorage a couple nights so will have to check that out.

Jason, thank you for the advice. I was actually thinking about driving down to Homer before the rest of my party gets there. Will definitely have to check out Cooper Landing. It sucks that I only have about 10 days to be there! I need to get up there for about 3 months during the summer with a camper.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you head down to Homer, the Kenai River will be calling you to stop and fish. There's also a neat little Orthodox church on the way down. We stopped there to stretch legs and look at the volcano erupting. Great halibut fishing out of Homer. Saw orca off the ferry while waiting to leave port.

If you go north from Anchorage, there's a muskox farm in Palmer. Neat animals, they have tours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always preferred Seward over Homer, but Homer was usually less crowded.

There was a river near-ish the Kenai, on the way to Homer IIRC, where I used to fish for steelhead and kings, it was fairly unknown and rarely crowded. There was a place we set up tent and camped. It was at the end of a long and bumpy dirt road, like a farm road. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the place. There was a feeder creek that was about 3 feet wide and the steelhead used to run so thick it was a challenge not to snag one; and tempting to just scoop them out with a landing net. Don't give in to temptation, Fish & Game is EVERYWHERE, at least they were 20 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.