NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did well today at a large pond near me. I think all the rain last night and warmer temps had them a bit more active. Caught 7 Bass today in about 2 hours all on a black w/blue speck trick stick on an unknown jig head fished shaky style. Had to fish them really really slow...each cast probably took a couple minutes to shake/jiggle back in. Here is a pic of what I got them on, does anyone know the type/brand of jig head in the pic? Found it in my tackle box and forgot where I got it from this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was able to get out for a few hours today, I caught 5 bass in an hour and a half using yum dingers and wooly bugs. Fish were in 3ft or less.

A few other people showed up while I was out there a guy caught a 6 pounder on a zara spook, I would have never thought to use a top water this time of the year.

Get out there they are biting.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was able to get out for a few hours today, I caught 5 bass in an hour and a half using yum dingers and wooly bugs. Fish were in 3ft or less.

A few other people showed up while I was out there a guy caught a 6 pounder on a zara spook, I would have never thought to use a top water this time of the year.

Get out there they are biting.
Funny you mentioned the zara spook, cause i was just about to break out a spook when the lightning started yesterday afternoon. After that warm rain came through yesterday morning, the fish at my home lake in Goldsboro were in a prespawn pattern and were really busting on shad. I caught a quick limit of both bass and crappie. Almost all were caught on a jighead grub and live shad. I've gotta good feeling about this week!

Reactions: DANNYBOY

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Lakes should be warming a little now, It sucked at Jordan Saturday and Sunday but it should warm up enough to turn them on by the end of the week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I caught no bass, but got a pikeral!! I fish a really clear pond. its like bath water. this time of the year its really hard for me to get a bass. the pond is really big actually. it looks like a small lake. Its private. but never the less........its filled with bass. I see them swim all the time. and they see me. thats the problem. there is one deep hole in the hole thing. And I think thats were they've been the last few months. the average deepth is about 4 feet. lots of veg. in the water. maybe I'll get one by the end of the week. I heard a suspended bait is really good this time of the year if fished really slow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Made it to Harris yesterday for about 3 hrs. BEAUTIFUL day to be out. Water was in the mid 40's. Managed 1 LMB about 12" on a spoon in about 25'. Thought I had hung a limb, no fight at all. Fish was really cold to the touch, think I will let it warm a bit more.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I have had great luck with the bass on ponds this time of year with white floating worms.

Because the bass are being skittish, use the lightest line you can get away with so you can make longer casts. Twitch the worm back to you with long pauses between the twitches and you may be able to "talk 'em in to bitin'"!

By making the long pauses, you are giving them a susupending bait, of sorts. It will also keep you above the vegetation.

I like Zoom's white floaters, usually found at Walmart...or most any store that sells lures. I don't use any added weight on the line and rig it on a 3/0, wide gapped, hook...texas rigged.

You can experiment with this, but anytime I hit a pond, I have a pack of these worms in my pocket!

Reactions: inshepherdsarms

·
Registered
762 Posts
In regards to the skittish bass in clear water, lewisfishing is correct. Loooonnngggg casts are key, cast to where they can't see you. Try a smaller finesse bait that seems natural and doesn't cause an unnatural commotion.

I'll have to try those floating worms!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.