NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sick of this wind. It makes it so difficult to present top water properly when sight fishing never mind the effort it takes paddling. It's been blowing so hard from the NW every days except Friday and in the am yesterday.
I still am obsessed and I go out but sometimes I actually get so frustrated throw fits and all my fishing gear goes over board.
Not really of course but I do get angry. Yea I know I shouldn't get mad blah blah blah.
Another phenomenon is the wind direction. I'll look at the angle of the wind and hug the proper shoreline to avoid the wind and share enough it changes and it's right in my face!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I didn't think the wind was that bad at Topsail Saturday. But TODAY, another story. Didn't even put my boat in. Yesterday was poor fishing I will add that though. Surely you can find some holes without any wind in that creek you are fishing..lol

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We needed this wind to flush out our estuaries
Oh boy, tell me you are kidding.
I easily found areas out of the wind but they were out of the fish too. I got a 15" flounder that went back (rattle trap=flounder crack) and one under slot drum. I got a heck of a workout though and so did my vocabulary of foul language.
Wind flush what????

·
Registered
505 Posts
Was kayak fishing inshore off of the Cape Fear between Snow's Cut and Ft Fisher a little over a week ago and the first half of the day it was literally like glass, almost un-naturally calm. We went back out after lunch and within 10 minutes of paddling away from the shore the wind came out of nowhere from southwest. This was in an area where the water was probably 1.5-2 miles wide and we were on the opposite side from the wind so we got the full brunt of it. After about 30 more minutes we had whitecaps breaking into our laps and we decided to give up on fishing. We barely made it back to our launch point. Took 15 minutes to paddle out and 45 to get back paddling as hard as we could while trying not to get capsized. It was unreal the way it went from one extreme to another with no warning. There was no adapting and overcoming, it was get back to shore or get swamped and start losing gear in the water.
The only good things was that I got supper in the cooler before we had to stop :)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Of course I wasn't on the coast but I was on a lake today for about 5 and a half hours in the yak and the wind was rough. Almost blew my hat off and once a gust hit me and almost blew my paddle all the way out of my lap and off the kayak. Frustrating to say the least. I did however use my brush grabber and it worked like a charm.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
south and southwest in the summer. North Northeast and northwest in the fall and winter.
You adapt and overcome. Fish different places or different baits.
Thanks. I'm not criticizing your post but I know the prevalent wind seasonal patterns and I try and adapt. I'm sure the main problem is trying to use top water when I should use bait or another type of artificial. I need to practice throwing side arm so I can get the plug, and more importantly the line, low to the water and a bit under the wind while casting into the wind directly at a Marsh Island bank. This way even if the wind move from NW to NNW I can still get it to the fish.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Was kayak fishing inshore off of the Cape Fear between Snow's Cut and Ft Fisher a little over a week ago and the first half of the day it was literally like glass, almost un-naturally calm. We went back out after lunch and within 10 minutes of paddling away from the shore the wind came out of nowhere from southwest. This was in an area where the water was probably 1.5-2 miles wide and we were on the opposite side from the wind so we got the full brunt of it. After about 30 more minutes we had whitecaps breaking into our laps and we decided to give up on fishing. We barely made it back to our launch point. Took 15 minutes to paddle out and 45 to get back paddling as hard as we could while trying not to get capsized. It was unreal the way it went from one extreme to another with no warning. There was no adapting and overcoming, it was get back to shore or get swamped and start losing gear in the water.
The only good things was that I got supper in the cooler before we had to stop :)

North Carolina has a windy coast. More windy than some others.
Numerous factors play into that but it all comes together to make it a windy environment.
Wind coming from the southwest is air heated over a land mass. It's been warm in the southern US.

North Carolina in general has unique weather patterns. It's bracketed by the highest parts of the Appalachian mountain range and the Gulfstream ocean current. The mountains steer and break up weather, the Gulfstream makes weather. The old saying. If you don't like the weather now...hang around 15 or 20 minutes, it'll change.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The wind flushes nutrients in and out of the estuaries and helps with the oxygen exchange especially in the ditches. This is vital with this seasonal change.

P.s. if the wind is killing you, use your map to find an area where the earth will block the wind. Most times shrimp and small baitfish are there. Its easier for them to swim and the wind has been pushing them in that direction. Reds and Trout will VERY often wait in these "wind escape" zones to destroy fatigued baitfish that have been getting tossed around all day.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Oh boy, tell me you are kidding.
I easily found areas out of the wind but they were out of the fish too. I got a 15" flounder that went back (rattle trap=flounder crack) and one under slot drum. I got a heck of a workout though and so did my vocabulary of foul language.
Wind flush what????
He wasn't kidding at all. It's essential

·
Registered
505 Posts
North Carolina has a windy coast. More windy than some others.
Numerous factors play into that but it all comes together to make it a windy environment.
Wind coming from the southwest is air heated over a land mass. It's been warm in the southern US.

North Carolina in general has unique weather patterns. It's bracketed by the highest parts of the Appalachian mountain range and the Gulfstream ocean current. The mountains steer and break up weather, the Gulfstream makes weather. The old saying. If you don't like the weather now...hang around 15 or 20 minutes, it'll change.
I've lived in NC and fished here all my life, so I'm familiar with it, but there are days when no amount of understanding makes it any less frustrating :)

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wind flushes nutrients in and out of the estuaries and helps with the oxygen exchange especially in the ditches. This is vital with this seasonal change.

P.s. if the wind is killing you, use your map to find an area where the earth will block the wind. Most times shrimp and small baitfish are there. Its easier for them to swim and the wind has been pushing them in that direction. Reds and Trout will VERY often wait in these "wind escape" zones to destroy fatigued baitfish that have been getting tossed around all day.
Thanks! Learn something new every day. I honestly thought you were making a "sideways" remark regarding another thread but I see now what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I had a good one yesterday. My chair was at the handle end of my beach cart and my cart sits high off the ground. A real good looking female put her towel down in the sand on the other end of cart about 10 yards distant. I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. I got up to check a rod and sat back down. Then she picks her stuff up....with her boyfriend and move to the end of the cart that I am sitting on. He takes off down the beach wearing jeans (certainly not beach wear for such a day). She starts pulling off her shirt and pants because she had a bikini underneath (a thong). Let's just say, every time she looked at me over there in that chair, I tipped my beer to her and she would just smile. I didn't try to hide looking. It's why she moved.

You see all kinds on the sand. Yesterday had some interesting folks on the sand. I've been flirted with, asked out, and invited to parties.
How much trouble can you really get into smelling like a bait truck though?

I was fishing on the north end of Ocracoke in the late 90's with my wife. Nobody is on the beach where we were. We are sitting there watching rods and from somewhere all of a sudden there is a late 40ish walking past us topless like she was in her own home. I told my wife, we should have been going fishing there long before now.

It was pretty windy at times yesterday.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmmm, surf fishing. Starting to sound like something interesting now.
Yesterday was almost perfect in VA Creek. The wind started blowing about 10:30 and I figured it would chase me off but it was variable and actually changed to NE. At one point it was dead calm for a fair amount of time as the wind was changing.
I witnessed a strange phenomenon yesterday that I'd like input on. I was pinned to a spot I've had good luck at. I had two blow ups and a fish take off with a Top Pup. During this time Seagull started congregating about 75 yards away. It was like they were about to have a meeting. Every few seconds another one or two would fly in and sit in the water with the others. It went from a few gulls to an estimate of 100-120 over about a half hour. They just sat in the water in a group and weren't eating or anything. After about an hour they started breaking up just like they came. It was weird. I was waiting for Hitchcock to float by on his back with his arm across his chest. Maybe they did this because the wind was about to change? I got a good eater but I'm upset that my Top Pup is in the mouth of another eater. I feel for the fish and I feel I'll have to get another Top Pup. I'm not lucky enough to have my own personal tackle store that I can reach into and grab another so there goes another $7-8.00. I've had too many caught on it to not replace it. My dayglo green spook Jr is one that I'd cry about if it got robbed.
I'm hoping today is fishable. The drum are providing dinner every trip lately.
Fish tacos, fish Bonito, fried fish, fish cakes, fish sauce, fish fradiovlo sauce, fish stew, barbecued fish on the half shell, fish and chips etc
Should I mention how much I hate cleaning red drum?
I think not.
I hate cleaning red drum.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.