NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
last time we were down there, there was a boat grounded in the inlet. We tried to pull them out to deeper water but we were in a 16ft Jon boat and them in a 22ish ft offshore boat, couldn't get them out, so be careful if you try.saw today they dredge is in the inlet now and I believe there is a new survey out too so it may be better, just s heads up

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You can access the survey at the link below. There's been some chatter on NRI on The Hull Truth. Some folks claiming it's just fine if you follow the USACE waypoints- 5' +. My experience a couple weeks ago was different-- 1 1/2' - 2', but I was not using the Corps waypoints, just reading the water. If the dredge is there, it should definitely be improved. However, exercise extreme caution. USCG removed the markers. You'll also notice that the midway point between the ICW and the mouth has shoaled in real bad, but there's a new cut on the East (LeJeune) side that appears navigable.

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/HydrographicSurveys/InletsCrossings.aspx

·
Registered
128 Posts
Following the info from the latest survey, I ran out of the inlet on last Saturday and Sunday without issues. I ran out about 90 min after dead low on Saturday afternoon, and it was passable with a few areas showing around 3-4 feet... You have to be careful in the typically tricky spots, and the areas of deeper water are not super wide... The Merritt was already in the inlet when we came back in early Sunday afternoon... The only concern I have now is not knowing where the dredge is cutting the channel in relation to the way it was depicted on the 7 April survey... the 7 April survey shows all of the deep water to the north side of the actual inlet (and it was there), but the way it has been dredged the last few times was more to the south... So, if I get a chance to get out again before the new survey is published, I am going to be very careful... the good news is that if it remains navigable, the Bonito are out there...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.