NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who wouldn't mind a tag-a-long to learn more about surf fishing this area. I've fished forever, started doing surf fishing at 14, out in LA, CA area. Moved to Northern CA and started fly fishing, same out in NY but all for freshwater fish. I have a 9w 9' rod and reel, know how to do all the stuff except what's happening here.

Dan Johnston
Calabash
[email protected]

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm with you there. That's like 5 hours from my house but I'm a greenhorn when it comes to the salt water anything. If you get someone to go along, let us know when, maybe I can sneak down and join you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't do much surf fishing but I do have room in my skiff if yall would be interested in going after some specks and reds along New River or around Topsail. I'm always looking for people to come fishing with me. The more lines in the water the better. I've herd the bite has realy picked up and I haven't been for about a month. Let me know, maybe we can Pm each other and work somthing out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's quite I drive. I live in Fayettville so about an hour in a half drive for me by the time I get my boat in the water. I'm off durring the week and weekends, back and forth every other week. Lot's of cheap places to stay along the coast in the smaller towns, or camping if you're into that. Or if you are really hard core we could fish the boat durring the day and surf fish/sleep on the beach that night. Then again I'm not sure on the rules of tent camping on the coast. Anywho, ever want to make a trip happen let me know.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dan for flyfishing right now You probably need to hit the inlet areas at daybreak. The wind can be a real nightmare in April but next month things should pickup fish wise and the winds should be blowing a little less consistently. Clousers should be good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. was/am heading down right now. am amazied at how much /consistantly wind is on-shore, but this is my first year here. Nats were really nasty the other day/no wind. I'll get some clousers. thanks.
dj

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Hey spec, I believe I'll take you up on that this summer if you don't mind. Will have to set something up with you at one of the FFC meetings. Later.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Coach D, That sounds good, I'd love to get you out there since I beilieve you said you've never realy done much salt water fishing. I plan on selling my house this summer and doing some traveling nursing so I hope we can make some solid plans in the next month or two so I can get a few guys out there. I off may 5th and 6th and it's a weekend, let me know if you maybe want to set up somthing

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am heading down to Sunset Beach on July 22. I am totally new to the saltwater aspect of fly fishing but i am going to buy an cheap 8 wt before heading down. Let me know how the fish are out there and what flies they are biting. Also if you don't mind passing on any tips you find out during your trip since ill need all the help i can get. I also will not have a boat but will cast live bait on a spinning rod too if the fish aren't taking my flies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried it last week at Ocean Isle Beach. I got skunked with fly fishing. I did well with bait, though. Anyway...I'll post back on some good spots for cutting up the blues with your fly rod (I hit them with bait...and wish I would have had my rod with me then).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would try an inlet that empties the ICW into the ocean on an outgoing tide. The fish wait for the baitfish and fish to get swept in. A shrimp, menhaden, or mullet pattern (around 2"-3" for the baitfish) will make the blues take the bait, I think. It took me about a week to figure out where the fish were in the ocean (I fished only the AM, as it was a family vacation....). I took a few hours each morning. I caught fish, but only on bait. I didn't get comfortable enough finding fish to try out the fly rod successfullly. Chumming from a boat is always fun. You can always try a fly to anything that comes into the chum slick.
-Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went bait fishing yesterday morning over at sunset bridge. got one small flounder, throwback. I need to change my line to something less sinking. its a full sinker and way to much for our shallow water. How long you staying down? I have to head west this week but back next weekend.
  1. dan

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dan, save that sinking line for winter time. It will work just fine for dredging up trout after a major cold snap in the winter. By the time winter rolls around you should have you some deep spots over on the mainland side picked out. One clue is deep drafted boats. Large sailboats and commercial fishing vessels etc. You should be able to find some good spots on Little River. Shallotte river has probably got some even more productive spots on it IF you find them.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have never tried anything other than a wf-x-f, although I do have one rigged with a sinkitip. I just haven't taken it to the coast because what little fly fishing I do is in shallow water. I don't have the patience for deepwater fly fishing. I'm more into jigs for deep water or in a deep winter time situation like what I was refering to a 52m mirrolure which is about as slow as I care to fish. At least when I'm out of the zone I can reel her in and fire it back to the fish. That is another reason I like a floating line It is quick and easy to put it right back in the zone.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I will let you in on a not too well kept secret, but not so well known either...fishing lights at night is some fine flyrodding and deep dock are easy to fish with a floating line and a deceiver or a very lightly weightrd clouser. Other flies will work but I like to cast up current and work the fringes of the light first and move in towards the light a little at a time. The fish are spooky but usually you will know they are there if they are. If I watch a dock for 3 min. and don't see trout slurping minnows I assume they aren't there unless pretty well know they should be. Sometimes a porpoise will scare them away. Best times are from 2am to 4am if you are on a deepwater dock or bridge. There are also fewer people out then to discover your little secret. that is pretty important in tight areas where you don't want to share your spot with half a dozen drunks. In the summer I've found that I might as well go eat breakfast after 4 or 4:30 but the fish will let you know when it is time to eat.;) Also In the winter the bite has a tendancy to start a little earlier. I think they must start spawning after dusk in the summer and they start drifting in around 12 and by 2am it's a full blown bite. You can throw the tide charts away in most of the deeper docks (ie comercial docks).

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have got 24 inch bluefish in the surf at ocean isle in the inlet between sunset beach and ocean isle.

the best tip i have gotten is get the Sputnik sinker. its a large singer with wires that let it burrow in the sand so that the strong current doesnt move your bait.

but ive never fly fished there at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've heard about fishing lights at night...but usually for snook. I've got to write this stuff down for next year when I go back to NC. I may have a residency spot there...but most likely will be vacationing, and doing my residency up here in Steelhead Alley Ohio!
Thanks everyone for all this advice...I'm glad there are some other people trying to fly fish this area. I think Brunswick could offer some fine fly fishing.
-Jon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.