NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More LMB around here but in the southfork river around the dams we have started seeing a lot more smallies than in years past. Great area to fish, small town. The part of the southfork I fish I have only saw 1 other boat that was not with our fishing group. You ever get up this way lets wet the bottom of the kayak's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey KBF,
I'm in Greensboro, but always looking for new places and fellow kayakers. I have a Redfish 14. When the weather improves I'd like to join you. I fish the James River up near Natural Bridge in VA. every spring for small mouth, other than that I fish local lakes here in Greensboro. This is a great site to meet up with fellow kayakers. Kayak ken

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be a good trip to go on. Let me know when you are going and I might just make the trip. We are planning a trip to the New river in NC sometime this spring. From what I have seen on this river it is the best smallie river in NC. I will let you know by trip plans on this one also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SSSHhHhhh. Don't let out our secret. Yes I fish the Southfork but farther south, McAdenville/Carmerton. We should get together one day and fish. I'm still trying to get use to the fishing here (moved here from Texas) So I could use some local pointers.

Mutt

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Nice to read something local about yakfishing. I`ve been in the yak ten yrs & avg 2 times a week. Haven`t hit the southfork much. Was at the Allen hothole past Sun. LMB and white perch hitting pretty good. Hear there is a put in on southfork now. (cramerton) Maybe check it out this wknd.
Interesting about the smallmouth report. Since a member of our club (hardcore kayak fishing team ) caught the 13 lb snakehead in wylie, nothing surprises me anymore,but I have never heard of a smallmouth nearby.
Keep it Hardcore---- Stu

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Welcome to the party Stu!

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Welcome to the party Stu!
Agreed!

C'mon out and introduce yourself Stu - post a meet&greet thread to say hi & let us know something about the hardcore team. We're always looking for more dots on the NC Kayak Anglers Map - Go to User CP and add a zip code & some boat info to your profile then join the NC kayak anglers group in group memberships and you'll be "dotted".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice to read something local about yakfishing. I`ve been in the yak ten yrs & avg 2 times a week. Haven`t hit the southfork much. Was at the Allen hothole past Sun. LMB and white perch hitting pretty good. Hear there is a put in on southfork now. (cramerton) Maybe check it out this wknd.
Interesting about the smallmouth report. Since a member of our club (hardcore kayak fishing team ) caught the 13 lb snakehead in wylie, nothing surprises me anymore,but I have never heard of a smallmouth nearby.
Keep it Hardcore---- Stu
Welcome on board Stu glad to hear of more guys in this area. I'm just down the road been on the Southfork several times from Cramerton. Maybe we could hook up sometime and wet a line. Hope we can all meet up soon and do some fishing.
Can't wait for the weather to warm up some.

Mutt

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I live in Riverbend.We fish around hwy 16 alot. Hwy 27 boat landing.Neck road. Latta plantation.Belmont (allen) hothole.We go pretty much every wknd Sat and sun.We may hit southfork this wknd. There is a put in I`ve never used but we got a member in Lowell who has. Think it is cramerton ,not too far down from spillway at the mill.I`ve never thought it was too hot for bass but I`m gettin tired of our regular spots. Just started here yesterday so I`ve got alot to figure out as far as messaging.Will try to get a message to you by fri. 3 or 4 of us can be counted on to go somewhere sat & sun. Catch you soon........Stu
PS. What about kayak bass fishing? He started the thread, ought to get him in on it too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would love to get in some fishing, but this weekend is out for me. Work has already taken care of that. Would like to learn more about your hard core team. If you go fishing let us know how it goes. LMB and Smallies have been taken off rockie areas near the bank. Have a great time.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Just because we`ve been talking about it I bet we`ll hit the southfork Sun. a.m. We always call each other on Fri. and see who`s doing what. Who feels like going where. We`re just a handful of local yokels who are goin yakfishing regardless. I really can`t think of a week in 10 yrs that I didn`t go at least once.Few of us have known each other since our teens but certainly not a pre-requisite. Barry,AKA snakehead, had paddled the same areas for years and everybody was always asking if we knew him. One cold day I saw him putting in and stopped to meet him and we`ve fished together bout every weekend for probably year and a 1/2. He`s a helluva angler and that is good but it`s really just about being out there.You`re a member by just showing up and fishing. We don`t really recruit and nobodys been kicked out but some have fallen aside.Seems like we can get some new blood in the club from here,find some new spots, and surely some new tricks.There are no dues,and the only rule is sometime,at least once every outing you must say " man, I love kayaking."You`d never get what it is to be hardcore in writing. Only by experience.You may be just like us or you may think we`re crazy but it`s always entertaining!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Stu, welcome, I am up for a trip on the southfork, but not this weekend I have work set up to do. Do you and your fishing buddies ever get together for a meet and greet meal. Might be a good thing for all of us to do some evening. What ya think Mutt, up for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Stu, welcome, I am up for a trip on the southfork, but not this weekend I have work set up to do. Do you and your fishing buddies ever get together for a meet and greet meal. Might be a good thing for all of us to do some evening. What ya think Mutt, up for it.
I'd love to go with you guys but for the month of Jan. and Feb I'm working Sundays. My sched. changes every month so March would be the first Sunday I could meet up, but it sounds like a blast. You guys sound like me and my fishing buddy from Texas. If the fish weren't biting we would always say "at least it's good to be out on the water". If you guys are going to put in at Cramerton let me know. I have a spot I want you guys to try. I haven't had any luck at this spot but only tried it once. It looks just too fishy, there has got to be some fish there. Good luck Sunday let us know how it went. I hope to catch up with you guys soon.

A meet and eat would be great, This is great, we got some fishing buddies here near Charlotte now if I can find some poker buddies I'll be set. <Big Grin>

Mutt

·
Registered
193 Posts
Kayak Bass Fishing,
Have fished the James River near Natural Bridge since 1995 with a group of 20-25 guys from church. We switched to the New River in N.C. for about 3 years and then went back to the James because it was always a more productive trip. kayaken

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.