NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Never fished a river before in my life so for the past few months I've pretty much been fishing Falls / Jordan lake since I move to Raleigh. I'd like to try my hand at the eno or another river but would really like a more experienced person to fish with at least the first time.

Let me know if you're going out this weekend!

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
748 Posts
it really depends how far you will be driving, but i am assuming from your post and location that you do not mean coastal. we have a tournament at new bern saturday.

from what i have seen and heard in the past, if you are anywhere more 50 miles inland, i would definitely recruit an experienced driver for a new river. especially around raleigh. there are tons of rocks and logs and stumps and pilings along just about every river in the state.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea in the Raleigh / Greensboro area. Definitely want to have some safety in numbers my first time.

it really depends how far you will be driving, but i am assuming from your post and location that you do not mean coastal. we have a tournament at new bern saturday.

from what i have seen and heard in the past, if you are anywhere more 50 miles inland, i would definitely recruit an experienced driver for a new river. especially around raleigh. there are tons of rocks and logs and stumps and pilings along just about every river in the state.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The thought is to put in at the little step dam by Loch Raven Pkwy and pull out at Poole Road park Sunday.

I was out looking at flows. With the lack of rain I have no idea what the flow/level is like. And I am not sure what the level should be for a reasonable float. I did find the following. But I am not really sure what I am looking at. A little help maybe???

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/neu_05.htm

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It was a grand day on the river. Spork, Gremlinsrus and I hit the river early. Should have brought the fly rod. Would have killed whatever was slurping bugs off the surface the first 1.5 hours. They were not taking anything big we had to offer.

Fish were caught by all. Gremlin got a nice couple pounder amongst other things. Spork caught a crappie. But he also spent a bunch of time in the trees. He was touting the castability of braid. On the creek that length get's trees. I caught 3 dink bass and 7-8 panfish. I also had a Gar hooked for a bit. Probably 12 -15" He hit a beetle spin. Like that has a chance at hooking it. hahahaha.

A bunch of scouts came through while we were floating. I did not know they started dragging their own porta-potty with them on outings. What happened to peeing on trees and digging a hole for the other? Maybe afraid they might wipe with poison ivy?? You will only do that once. I guarantee. Oh, and they did not have a barge for it. hahaha. It was on a trailer in the parking lot along with a gas grill.

mikeski

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.