NC Angler Forums banner

anyone have friends in dc

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  zooker 
#1 ·
hey whats up everyone. i am looking for someone who fishes up here in dc on the patomic or somewhere close to alexandria. now that i dont make it home as much as i used to will have to start fishing up here. but could use some local knowledge. i have posted this on american angler to but no luck yet. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've got in-laws on overseas duty -- state dept, not military. They'll be living in DC in the summer of '08, but that won't help much...

#5 ·
Do a search for Potomac River Angler's Club. Mainly concentrates on the Potomac from the Nice Bridge to the bay (tidal portions), but there are a few guys that do a lot of light tackle fishing in the DC area for striper, bass, crappie, and cats.

There is also a Potomac River Bass board, but it does not get nearly as many posts. Also Tidalfish.com for the bay and VA northern neck.

I lived in LaPlata (Charles County, MD) for over ten years and Colonial Beach, VA for about a year, so pretty much fished from Slavins Landing (Indian Head, MD) to St. Clements Island, with most fishing concentrated around Marker 6 outside Port Tobacco Creek.

I still have a friend that lives in the Fairfax area, he and a buddy were doing C&R for striper over the weekend across the river from Fort Washington, MD using bloodworms. He caught a 24lb one, and his buddy caught a 52 lb one.

Anyway, good luck. The Potomac is a great fishery, but can get very rough further downstream if the wind kicks up against the tide.

#6 ·
Was born in NC but moved to DC area when I was quite young. Lived there most of my life and just retired and moved back south.

In the last 10 years or so the Potomac in DC has been discovered as a good largemouth fishery. I have seen fish being caught within view of the monuments, Reagan airport, the Woodrow Wilson bridge, etc. Much of the river is shallow, with the exception of the channel which is deep enough for some large ships to transit. So...just apply the same pattern search that you would in any other body of water and chances are you can find bass. There used to be a ramp located right near Reagan airport with good parking. Buy one of the Alexandria Drafting map books and you will get lots of info on ramps, places to fish, etc.

If you want smallmouth, head upriver. Point of Rocks, MD, the area around Harpers Ferry, WV and most of the upper Potomac is great. I used to take float trips from "point A to point B" or fish with jonboats with small outboards. You can catch loads of "fightin sized" smallies along with an occasional "hawg". Wading is popular in some areas, but be careful since there are currents and deep holes to catch you. Again there are several publications to help, most notably "Fishing in Maryland" available at most sport stores.

Anyway...good luck!

Now, if someone would just tell me how to catch some reds and specs down here!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.