NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was there last week, they had both a 12 ft MX and a 13 ft Predator outside and a fully equipped (not the electric motor though) MX on display inside....

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...........................but I don't think I'd fall out of it:rolleyes:

My Loon 138T that I converted to a solo is around 55 lbs. The Predator MX would be another 30. The river I'm obsessed with right now has reeealy steep banks so I probably should just be happy with what I've got.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I have one complaint about my kayak, it's the weight. There's something to be said for having a boat you can slap on the roof like it's nothing, then just carry it to wherever it is you are going. You get a lot more value out of a kayak that you use more often. It can be the difference between you taking the boat out when you don't have much time or staying home or on the bank. Mine is ~70lbs and really cumbersome. Sometimes taking it out seems like a bit of an operation, especially since I'm alone.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That's the one drawback my nucanoe really does have... too much weight. It takes at least 25 minutes to get it to a car top and strapped in safely. Yeah, I'm extra cautious about strapping it down, probably overkill, but I KNOW I'm not going to lose that thing.

I have honestly decided multiple times that it's not worth the work to go fishing with it.

So there is something for the light kayaks if you're small enough to use them.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It takes me about a minute to load and secure my boat in the bed of my truck. This means that even getting out for a short trip, it's worth the trouble, plus I can launch at less than ideal locations. I will not get rid of this boat when I have my larger SOT.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It takes me about a minute to load and secure my boat in the bed of my truck. This means that even getting out for a short trip, it's worth the trouble, plus I can launch at less than ideal locations. I will not get rid of this boat when I have my larger SOT.
To be fair... I believe a "bed of truck" carrying method for the NuCanoe wouldn't be a one minute set up... More Like 5...But again, I overdo it. Car topping a heavy boat is the issue.... You need to get 100lbs of balky, poorly balanced load 7 feet in the air, and then restrained against winds coming from 70MPH driving, and then tied front and back.... that's when the long durations come up. Doing a light kayak on the rooftop would cut the time in half. Back of pick up truck.... The disadvantage of a heavy kayak are less.

Launching in poor locations... That's another story entirely, but the limit is more me than the kayak.... I'm only comfortable with a very smooth slope/grass/beach/boat launch.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
To also be fair, I keep a small length of paracord clipped between two cleats right behind the yak seat, and I leave a strap in the bed between the front two cargo tie downs. So I plop my boat into the truck, clip the line to one of my the back corner tie downs and attach the strap to the bow carry handle and hit the road. I even slip the boat under my bed cover (with the gate down) so stuff left sitting in the seat won't get blown around much. So I wasn't exaggerating about it being under a minute, but I did set things up to make that possible.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to have a Novacraft SP3 Prospector. Sweet, sweet canoe. Did the leaf-on-water thing paddled solo. But it was so friggin' heavy I hardly ever used it. My Loon's hull is at least 1/4" thick and it has a dragging strake on the back so I don't worry about dragging it. If someone figured out how to deliver a boat with the features of these newer SOTs without the weight they would sell well, I think. That's sort of what the Jackson Kilroy is trying to do.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed, that's really generous and I may take you up on it. Usage would probably be 60% river, 20% lake and 20% coastal. I'm leaning toward the MX, the only drawback being no option to add a rudder (which would be useful at the coast). What's your take on the differences between the two?

·
Registered
22 Posts
EvBlue, I have attached my walk through of the two boats. The P13 is faster and works fine on rivers. I have fished the New River at 1.5 feet, the Haw River at 2 feet and the Uwharrie all in the P13. The Uwharrie was easier in the MX. The MX has no mod pod so if you like open deck space or fly fishing it maybe the better option. Either way both boats are very stable, have a great seat and nice fishing platforms.

http://youtu.be/UGXeXz_6B7c

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
It does track well. When you are in the high seat position you can get pushed a little in the wind. The 13 has a more pronounced bow and cuts through better in 10 plus knots. The open deck is great on the MX. My son who is 11 likes it because he can keep everything he wants in front of him. Like PBJs, Gatorade, a couple of rods and his tackle. At the beach last week he had no problems paddling in the intercoastal until the winds got pretty rough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old post but I love the predator 13. It is heavy but I load it in the bed of a truck so its not bad. I made a cart for it so carrying it down to the ramp isn't bad either. Once you are in it the weight makes it ride so much better. I also like the features of it. The transducer hole in it and the hatches that close easy. The seat is great also. there are good and bad things about it like any other kayak but I love mine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not sure where you live but they have the MX on display at Neuse Sport Shop. It's big and ugly IMO. They also have a Prowler Big Game 2. It looks better and weighs less. Only a few inches shorter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.