NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year buzz bait became my go to topwAter. This year in April I was having good success but in the last few weeks I haven't had a landing and have only had blow ups and short strikes. I added trailer hook and still just getting slaps at it and even not a lot of those. I am doing much better on spooks, frogs and poppers. Anyone else noticing the same or I am a buzzbait skunk???

·
Registered
748 Posts
pretty much the same here. a few swats but hardly any takers. rivers just getting right now so that may change for me tomorrow. i will still have a popper on standby.

of course a couple days they did hit it very well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the water warming later has affected the buzzbait bite this spring. I've been having success recently, but only off of slow rolling the bait or bouncing it off cover. I'd get you some of the Cavitron buzzbaits for slow rolling. I think it'll help your hook up ratio too, b/c they don't seem to miss them as much. The ones you use are awesome but you do have to retrieve them a little faster. Also, the fish may be more apt to less noisy and more subtle presentations with the increased pressure they're getting, which may be why the more subtle topwater presentations are fooling them better. Are you noticing any difference in success with or without the clackers? No clue if any of that is true, but that'd be my best guess. I've been out of town almost every weekend in the past month, but we'll have to go after some topwater bass one morning/evening soon.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Its been all about the weightless trick worm here, either wacky or T-rig. I did get a complete airborn explosion from a good fish last night on my first cast with a popper - that was a rush. It broke off at the reel (old backlash injury, I'm sure). The popper (Lucky Craft - $$$) floated back up and I got it and all the line back. That's about as good a 1-cast night as you can have without catching a fish.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think the water warming later has affected the buzzbait bite this spring. I've been having success recently, but only off of slow rolling the bait or bouncing it off cover. I'd get you some of the Cavitron buzzbaits for slow rolling. I think it'll help your hook up ratio too, b/c they don't seem to miss them as much. The ones you use are awesome but you do have to retrieve them a little faster. Also, the fish may be more apt to less noisy and more subtle presentations with the increased pressure they're getting, which may be why the more subtle topwater presentations are fooling them better. Are you noticing any difference in success with or without the clackers? No clue if any of that is true, but that'd be my best guess. I've been out of town almost every weekend in the past month, but we'll have to go after some topwater bass one morning/evening soon.
I bought a beautiful buzz bait with a clacker and fished the mess out of it without a bite until this am.. I think you're on to something about wanting a more subtle buzz.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
252 Posts
Puzzled

i bought a beautiful buzz bait with a clacker and fished the mess out of it without a bite until this am.. I think you're on to something about wanting a more subtle buzz.

Sent from my droid3 using tapatalk 2
hey guy`s listen i`m kinda new to the fishin game the buzzbait you talk about got my interest and i went out and got a couple - well they seemed to go too low and caught all the weeds at bottom - how do you keep them on top water like you say ???

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guy`s listen i`m kinda new to the fishin game the buzzbait you talk about got my interest and i went out and got a couple - well they seemed to go too low and caught all the weeds at bottom - how do you keep them on top water like you say ???
Close bail before it hits water and retrieve some need faster retrieve to keep them on top

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you running a trailer on your buzzbait? Last week I fished a buzzbait with just the skirt and got nothing.... Took the skirt off and put a four inch pearl paddle tail on and caught two on back to back casts. Might be worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been having some success with 1/8 oz white. Quarter oz and larger much less success. Dragging it as close to weeds as possible or right through it quick and getting blow ups. No luck with poppers this season and a little action with frogs. Need to get on some good slop and pads - but not a lot in north east wake county.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use a high speed reel 6.5 or 7 -1 ratio for buzz baits also and it helps keep them high. I second that better brands are easier to keep on top in general too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Boogerman is all you need in the rivers. Make sure the blade is hitting the head and making as loud a noise as possible. It has turned on for us, just won a tourney today throwing one all day.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only fish landed today was on first cast of the day with the buzzbait rolling the noisy one at a very slow retrieve. Had one decent blowup on frog but reacted too fast .

Reactions: zky1812

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had a great topwater spring, esp on a popper, and in years past I've done well in the post-spawn with a buzz. but not this year. of course that depends on lots of things. e.g., last few trips bass fishing it's been a bright, clear day and could not get on the water as early as i would have liked. but most of the bass where i'm fishing seem to have moved out of the shallows and now appear to be getting out of their post-spawn funk. so recently i found a couple of big 'uns stacked up on a point ca. 5pm -- didn't go for a deep crank that i dredged past them several times, but finally got 'em to go for a lipless crank (Strike King red-eye shad) that I bounced off the point, i.e., let it sink, raised rod tip and reel, then let it drop with a tight line, then repeat. when they hit I could feel the "tap" on the fall through my 15lb braid and set the hook. I'll still throw a buzz if conditions are more favorable (e.g., cloudy/overcast skies), but i'm moving offshore now. Here's one that bit the lipless crank -- 6lbs 7oz and fought so hard I thought it was a 7-8lb fish:

Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Travel

Reactions: spidey

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a great topwater spring, esp on a popper, and in years past I've done well in the post-spawn with a buzz. but not this year. of course that depends on lots of things. e.g., last few trips bass fishing it's been a bright, clear day and could not get on the water as early as i would have liked. but most of the bass where i'm fishing seem to have moved out of the shallows and now appear to be getting out of their post-spawn funk. so recently i found a couple of big 'uns stacked up on a point ca. 5pm -- didn't go for a deep crank that i dredged past them several times, but finally got 'em to go for a lipless crank (Strike King red-eye shad) that I bounced off the point, i.e., let it sink, raised rod tip and reel, then let it drop with a tight line, then repeat. when they hit I could feel the "tap" on the fall through my 15lb braid and set the hook. I'll still throw a buzz if conditions are more favorable (e.g., cloudy/overcast skies), but i'm moving offshore now. Here's one that bit the lipless crank -- 6lbs 7oz and fought so hard I thought it was a 7-8lb fish:

View attachment 71500
nothing beats the red eye!!!

Reactions: Spider Crack
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.