NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to get into kayak fishing, I am in the Wilmington area. Does any one know what the local shops do with old/damaged kayak? im looking for one that is going to be thrown away and i will take the time to fix all needed repairs. i know it sounds cheep but im very tight on money but i also want to get into yak fishing very badly... or if some on has an old kayak that they wouldn't mind parting with for cheap please let me know.. also if someone knows where i might find a trashed kayak please let me know as well...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
It's impossible to speculate without seeing the chances are you are talking about a rotomolded plastic yak. ?
They certainly can be repaired but there is point that its not really doable or worth it. Not only does the size of the damage figure in but where on the kayak. The more that area flexes the more likely it will cause problem again later. If it is very old and cracked due to brittleness there is no point in fixing it.
There are some products for sale to do it yourself.
IT meaning plastic welding. It's not as easy as it sounds. It requires both the repair plastic and the boat be melted and stuck together with heat gun, torh or both. the repair material needs to me more melted than the boat.- you can imagine that could be a little tricky.If the boat is free or little cost you don't have much to lose if things go wrong.
Search plastic kayak repair, supplies and similar. YouTube will have some videos. There are some epoxy type repairs that might work- again depends on the exact damage and kayak overall.
If its worth saving and you can find an outfitter near you that repairs- I'd let them do it.

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stew-rat thanks for the reply! yes i was talking about a plastic yak. do you use a sit on top yak or a sit in.. i have heard people like one or the other but i know where i live near the beach... (Wilmington area) it would be safer to have a sit on top.. because they can't fill with water. but I am very new ( looking to buy a yak) but have been fishing for the last 15 years... i would like to get up with some of the members in the area and possibly try yak fishing before i spend a few hundred dollas on a yak.. wich do you like better a sit on or sit in.. and what do you think is safer...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Rglenn86- I'm a SIK guy at heart. 15 yrs and though I own a Cuda and like it I'm really used to being tucked inside and more in contact with the boat. I have the Cuda for springtime stand up sight fishing and its nice for the occasional rocky river trip with potential splashing and easier to get in and out.
I have taken sit insides in the inlets plenty of times and nothing is better for paddling in the the ocean, winds and currents than a long skinny boat or a SEA kayak- but they are not great for the fishing part of it. If you see yourself in the ocean certainly get you a SOT and there are alot of good ones. If you are gonna only be in the inlets consider a hybrid possibly like the Native ultimate. Try some when it gets warm, keep looking and keep asking what different people think.
Once you get started you will wish you'd started earlier!

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.