NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone on the board was near FONTANA LAKE and could advise any reports. I've never fished it in the winter, but figured if those guys in Green Bay can catch Walleye through the ice.... I should be able to catch one on FONTANA in the cold. Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have not been on the lake lately, but this time of year can be great. A few days of nice weather can really turn the Smallies on.:) A cold front this time of year will more than slow it down, it can kill it for days. I mean temps in the 50's catching fish it's a great day:D next day cold front there gone.:mad: Watch the weather and try to catch a stretch of 2 or 3 nice days.:cool: If its been nice for a few days the fishing will be great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey, ive been fishing the little tenn ,the walleye are staging for pre-spawn in15 to 20 foot of water during the day but will move 15 to 8 ft if the weather stays above45 degreees.when there 15 to 8 feet deep off the banks,i use a berkley power grub in christmas lights color on a 1/8 to a 1/4 ounce plain jig head,with a 1/8 being the preferred.and the 1/4 being the go to in swifter water[more towards march when they get in the river more,the smallies will eat this grub with ease too.i hope this info is to some help.ps a translucent bandit series 200 watermelon sparkle crankbait and a brown exude tube should't be overlooked eithier.but any sub 40 degree weather will shut most fishing to a crawl. the upcoming week looks good.when its cold its hard to beat a chartreuse lead head with a bucket of bass minows to go with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
their all fairly small to medium(10 to 14)inches.all except bout 3 came off the berkley grub christmas light color.this grub is hot up north ,and read alot about it so picked up a couple of packs at bps and had really good results with last couple of years.i'm gonna hit the river tomarrow,was gonna go today but the river was a bit more stained than i prefer.fontana is really coming up by the way.tight lines!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.