NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a shrimp trap last year. It is the type that sit on the bottom and is designed to catch shrimp as the current sweeps them into it. It is approx 2'H X 2'D X 3'W with the wide side facing the current. I set it in the water a couple of times but only got a few when I set I am in a deeper section. Is there a better way to use this thing? I've also read that the best way is to sink it next to a wall where the shrimp will glide by. There aren't any walls nearby so I'm looking for alternatives. The shrimp are getting nice and large now and will be good eating size fairly soon but mainly I'd like to go some for freezing to use as bait when needed.
I have a rec gear license and I know the limits.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't know what the regulations are on net sizes so be careful. I think for crabs its 18" and not sure how that net would be classified.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Challenger, I have a friend that drags a shrimp net from a 16 foot boat to subsidize his rocking chair money. He could open a flea market with the stuff he pulls up. Crab pots, bicycles, and probably a shrimp trap or two. He's been catching a few of the invasive Tiger Shrimp. More so than last year.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Challenger,
Where did you find the shrimp trap? I have thought about trying one.
http://janddcrabpotco.com/shrimp.html

Challenger, I have a friend that drags a shrimp net from a 16 foot boat to subsidize his rocking chair money. He could open a flea market with the stuff he pulls up. Crab pots, bicycles, and probably a shrimp trap or two. He's been catching a few of the invasive Tiger Shrimp. More so than last year.
Thanks-I'm not able to drag a shrimp trap so I'll need to find the best way to deploy the trap I have. I understand there is also a way to set up a sort of funnel or wing in a stationary fashion so the shrimp hit the wing material and bounce along it until they are swept into the trap. This is a legal method of use so long as it is manned while in use. With my rec gear license I can leave it in the water just like a crab trap with a marked pink dob on a rope made of a material that sinks. I can have up to five traps total for crab, shrimp or a combination so long as the combination does not exceed 5 total traps.
Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Look at the regulations below from the NC DMF recreational gear license. I've read of guys taking the ten feet of seine and creating a wide "V" that funnels the shrimp into the trap. They usually have two traps, one on top of the other. Use straps to attach the seine poles to the traps. My understanding is that the full moon in Sept. and Oct. are killer times. I wanted to try it this year, but my boat is still out-of-order. If you try this, be sure to let us know.
RCGL Shrimp Pound

(Effective April 1, 2009)

Gear Requirements – One pound used to take shrimp. Each lead must be 10 feet in length or less with a minimum mesh size of 1 ½ inches. Enclosures are to be constructed of stretched mesh of 1 ¼ inches or greater and all dimensions must be 36 inches or less.

Attendance – Shrimp pounds must be attended at all times and must be removed from the water when not being fished.

Marking Requirements – one floating buoy any shade of hot pink (see Buoy Requirements) attached to the offshore lead of the pound.

Distance Requirement – A RCGL shrimp pound must not be set within 100 yards of another RCGL shrimp pound or within 300 yards of an operational commercially permitted pound.

Shrimp Possession Limit
48 qts. (heads on) 30 qts. (heads off) one RCGL holder aboard vessel
96 qts. (heads on) 60 qts. (heads off) more than one RCGL holder aboard vessel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just for the sake of everyone reading please note that requires a Recreational Commercial Gear License (RCGL) as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So Sundrop, you are saying I can catch shrimp up to the limit which is think is a 48 qt cooler heads on with a cast net without a RCGL (got to have salt water regular license) but need a RCGL if I fish a shrimp pot pound method.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Shellfish and Crustaceans
State Coastal and EEZ Waters Internal and 0-200 miles. No recreational license needed.
See up-to-date list of polluted areas / closures here.
Species
(note symbols)
Minimum Size Bag Limits
(Per Person) No shellfish license required for these quantities and less
Bay Scallops (N) None1/2 bushel/day, not to exceed one bushel per vessel
Blue Crab (M)
Identification Help
Recreational crabbing:
Read regulations and requirements.
Call 252-726-7021 for details.
5" Carapace Width (Minimum)50 crabs/day not to exceed 100 crabs/vessel/day
Conchs and WhelksNone10/day not to exceed 20/vessel/day
Hard Clam1" Thick100 clams/day not to exceed 200 clams/vessel/day
MusselsNone100/day not to exceed 200/vessel/day
Oyster (N)3" Shell Length1 bushel/day not to exceed 2 bushels/vessel/day
Shrimp
(Closed shrimping area)
NoneTwo (2) quarts of shrimp/day (Cast net only)
Recreational Use of Cast Nets
Shrimp
(Open shrimping area)
None48 qts. heads on, 30 qts. heads off
(Per person or vessel except RCGL max. 2 limits/vessel)

So Sundrop, you are saying I can catch shrimp up to the limit which is think is a 48 qt cooler heads on with a cast net without a RCGL (got to have salt water regular license) but need a RCGL if I fish a shrimp pot pound method.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
STRAIGHT FROM THE PAGE.... 
When using a cast net in an area closed to shrimp trawling, two (2) quarts of shrimp per
person per day may be kept.

When using a cast net in an area open to shrimp trawling, 48 quarts of shrimp with
heads on, or 30 quarts of shrimp with heads off, may be kept per person or vessel. If
using a vessel and two or more people are on board, 96 quarts of shrimp with heads on,
or 60 quarts of shrimp with heads off, may be kept.

***TO ME THAT MEANS YOU CAN ONLY USE A CAST NET W/O A COMMERCIAL LICENSE.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
90 Posts
NC Sea Grant--FYI

[SIZE=+1]Shrimp Trap Development to Reduce Shrimp Trawl Bycatch
97FEG-30[/SIZE]

This project sought to develop a shrimp trap as an alternative to the trawl net for purposes of reducing bycatch. Traps of several sizes and configurations were tried. After one week of trials, a modification was made so that the trap design used during the 39-day study period (June 1 to Sept. 1) consisted of a rectangular trap 3 feet deep by 2 feet wide by 18 inches high. The entry funnel opening was 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter and the funnel extended to within about 4 inches of the back of the trap. Wire used was .5-inch mesh hardware cloth.Traps were placed in three distinctly different areas: 1) flats, areas of shallow water, light cur-rent and near to marsh areas, 2) channels, relatively deep water, strong currents and soft bottom sediments, 3) bulkheads, positioned against bulkheads and seawalls so that the side of trap actually touched the bulkhead. Soak time for all tests was five to six hours.

During the tests, the harvest included more than 117 pounds of shrimp, 217 pounds of more than 24 species of fish and nearly 330 pounds of blue crab and stone crab. Channels and flats proved to yield the best shrimp-to-bycatch ratios. Shrimp-to-bycatch ratios were relatively constant over the study period at about 1 pound of shrimp to 4.4 pounds of bycatch.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
48 quarts is alot but you have to keep this in mind as you set that pot- it HAS to be in an area OPEN to trawling. It cannot be set in creek , canal etc where shrimp are easily cast netted.
Are you saying this as advice for catching numbers or to clarify a NCDMF rule?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NCflatfish - Google, "Kenny Sessions". I believe he was an innovator regarding this method. I spoke with him recently about an unrelated issue but I did ask him if he was still using his system and he said he was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.