NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback from using Nikko soft plastics, I watched about an hour long video/podcast a while back explaining the history and quality of the plastics and I felt inclined to try them out. I bought a pack of the Hellgrammites a while back and have yet to try them out but thought it'd be a good question for the forum. They are pretty dang expensive for what they are but they all look very lifelike and are supposed to be incredibly durable.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I've used the Nikko hellgrammites a little bit. I haven't caught anything on one of them yet, but don't take that to mean much - I haven't used them that much, and the spots I was fishing probably weren't very good. That or I'm just not a very good fisherman.

Anyway, the material does indeed appear to be just as tough and durable as advertised. I got the hellgrammites that are a sort of smokey black / grey color with red flakes, if I remember correct, and I'm still pretty optimistic that they're going to produce fish in the right spots.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on trying them out sometime this week, thinking on trying Ned rig first (even though I haven't tied any ned rig fishing so far) then switching to texas rigged if I don't have any luck (much more experience with that). Getting the hook through ned rig hook was much more difficult than other plastics I've messed with so far which does seem to prove its toughness so fingers crossed for tight lines. I got the "fusion" color as that was the only one I could find on amazon that had prime delivery : )

I've also got the 10,000 fish Sukoshi bugs I got a while back as well that I wanted to try out on the ned rig also. Think I need to get a better ned head though as I got a cheapo pack a while back and it doesn't seem like the hook is the best and I'm thinking it might be a little small for the Sukoshi bugs.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Never tried them I use mostly bass pro sticko except for one color I like better in a senko.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So ended up with a pretty good outing, caught 8 yesterday within about a 1.5 hour period. Most of them were pretty small with the biggest being maybe around 2.5 lbs. Felt good as a proof of concept though and from talking to an older gentlemen the other day who had significantly more fishing experience than me he thought the bigger female bass might still be out a little further and pushing up closer within the next couple weeks. I'll stay at it and test this theory but good reviews all around for this bait as well as ned-rigging. I plan on investing in a little higher quality hook though as the one's I got are definitely a little bit cheap and I think could use some improvement. Towards the end of the day I got slightly hooked up on something and bent the hook out a bit in order to retrieve it.

Looking forward to testing out the Sukoshi bug on a bit bigger hook as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback from using Nikko soft plastics, I watched about an hour long video/podcast a while back explaining the history and quality of the plastics and I felt inclined to try them out. I bought a pack of the Hellgrammites a while back and have yet to try them out but thought it'd be a good question for the forum. They are pretty dang expensive for what they are but they all look very lifelike and are supposed to be incredibly durable.
I have used the hellgrammite lure. Caught several bass and even a couple of large crappies with it at Randleman Res. earlier this year.
Using that short 3" lure got me wanting to try the ned rig more. Used a 3 " ned rig hulu stick at Lake Lucas just yesterday, managed to get 6 bass (largest a good 4lbs) 2 catfish, 1 bluegill, and 2 green sunfish. LOL That is a very versatile lure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome SrSykes, I have heard they are pretty versatile and like the durability & buoyancy. I've heard a lot of fisherman on youtube mention the Hulu stick as well and it looks like a fish would enjoy. I definitely am going to try out Ned rigging more though after using it twice with good results each time. I ordered some reaction tackle Ned rigs the other day that should be in tomorrow as the cheap ol' one I was using got the hook bent out after getting snagged on something. I tried to bend back right but I've lost at least 8 fish on it since then so I'm sure the one's coming in will work better. I also got a little bigger size to test out the Sukoshi bug as well, I've got a good feeling about it though and will report back on how it goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Went out again this past Tuesday to Lake Lucas. Caught 3 bass using the Nikko Helgramite again, until I lost it on a hang up. Switched to a Ned rig using just a plain old TRD. Caught two more bass and a large black crappie before hanging up again and losing the TRD. Mushroom Ned rig jig heads, even the ones with weed guards hang up a lot. I tried texas rigging a 4 inch hulu stick with a size 1 bait holder hook and a 1/8oz bullet weight. Seemed to work just as well. Caught 3 more bass with it. The bass run from barely 12" to 16", nothing to brag about, but a good fun day. I am sold on the ned rig idea and Z man and Nikko elastec products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Works almost as good as the real deal. I caught at least 20 good smallmouth in a day on the same life and it was still like new. Absolutely incredible!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Love them. I caught two very nice bass river fishing last year with the helgrammite and one nice one this year in my only river trip. They've become my favorite small finesse bait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much appreciate everyone's feedback. I tried one pack (Fusion) and had a lot of success with them myself. I ended up losing all 4 due to getting snagged up though so just got in 3 more packs, 1 fusion, 1 watermelon red flake, and 1 june bug. Never thrown any June Bug but I've heard others like them, can anyone here personally vouch for them one way or another?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts