NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel a bunch outside the US. T Mobile has a great global plan. Unlike my current provider. And my contract is up.

Anyone have anything they might share about coverage at the coast and the mountains? My current provider I can get signal most everyplace I go. Even the far north of Maine. That does me no good in a foreign country though.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I gave up on Sprint and T mobile as a truck driver. Got Verizon, pay a lot for it, and never had any issues that one mile down the road didn't fix. I've been all over the US, Cant say how they are internationally. Seems like the carriers with the best prices also have to poorest service outside of big cities in general.

Reactions: Lucky Doug

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I am not really looking at cost. I am looking at the international coverage. With internet coverage, internet phone and messaging I would be well connected. And I can call local numbers when on the cell network wherever I am where T Mobile is which is much of the world.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great article Sundrop. It documents what I have gathered in my research. Now I just need a couple of people to pipe in on their experience.

From what I have gathered I would say my coverage will be like ATT was a couple years ago. So maybe a step backwards depending on my US travels. Most definitely a leap forward for my international travels. I can live with that.

mikeski

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I live in an area where Verizon has poor service.
For my personal phone I went to T mobile last January and haven't looked back. I've been very happy. My office is in a double walled metal building in RTP. There is no signal on my Verizon work phone but I'm pulling 4G LTE sitting at the same desk with T Mobile.
I get to places around the coast with little signal and make do. Nothing a short walk or a mile down the road don't get me a good signal.
T Mobile is the new up and comer. They have been buying a lot of towers and equipment.

Something else I like about T Mobile is no contracts. I'm not beholden to anyone. I can dump T Mobile tomorrow and be with someone else in a coupla hours.

I'm sure they have their share of unhappy customers but I'm not one of them. It's been like clockwork from their phone in customer support to store support.

This post based solely on my personal experience as a T Mobile customer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The company I work for contracted with T-Mobile for many years and about a year ago switched to Verizon. Man was I happy about that. While T-Mobile generally worked great overseas it absolutely sucks all over the NC coast and in rural areas of the US. Maybe things have gotten better over the last year? I've had zero problems with Verizon all over Europe and Asia.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Verizon doesn't even cover all the rural areas which includes Johnston county which is next to Wake county.
You won't talk on a Verizon at my house. GSM phones work fine.
AT&T, T Mobile.
I can go a half mile to 701 and it's a complete T Mobile blackout for a few miles. Of course , the same few miles Verizon has a weak to no signal, not enough to talk on.

I've carried Verizon for years. I knew every dip in I40 I would drop a call and I knew anywhere in the community I didnt even need to try to make a call. I knew to wait until I got to such and such road.
Since I've had T Mobile, I don't drop calls on 40 and in the community, I just pick up the phone and use it.
Overall, I drop far far less calls with T Mobile than I still do with Verizon.
I live in a rural area. So rural, we'll never have cable vision or DSL out here. We get laughed at if we call and ask about it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I seldom drop a call and if I do its never more than a mile or 2 and I can pick it back up. Even in the WV mountains I did well with Verizon other than in the low valleys. I guess all carriers have their weak points. I know the phone you use makes a huge difference too. My Droid is much better at receiving than my Wife's Galaxy S4. Makes her mad when she cant get service and I hand her mine phone with 2-3 bars showing..

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my search I have been looking at the coverage map for T Mobile. It looks much like Sprint and AT&T did a few years ago. Coverage along main routes and cities.

They also have Partner coverage. This appears to extend their network; however, you will not get the 4G data speed but you will get phone. And of course, if you can get onto a wifi signal whether you have bars or not you will be good to go with their IP calling. This could be helpful in many places. Especially in the home.

I just got my phones unlocked and will be moving them over with no contract. I expect I will have similar coverage to what I have now >95% of time. And I get the bonus of having full use of my phone when I travel for work. The few problems will surely not outweigh the gains.

Thanks for the great input. This could have turned into a service provider bashing thread which was not intended.

mikeski

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Like I say T Mobile is on the way up. They have picked up boatloads of new subscribers with their "uncarrier" movement. Hopefully they invest wisely and continue to see progress I will switch when I am forced out of unlimited data with Verizon.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I seldom drop a call and if I do its never more than a mile or 2 and I can pick it back up. Even in the WV mountains I did well with Verizon other than in the low valleys. I guess all carriers have their weak points. I know the phone you use makes a huge difference too. My Droid is much better at receiving than my Wife's Galaxy S4. Makes her mad when she cant get service and I hand her mine phone with 2-3 bars showing..

I run an S5 and S3.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Like I say T Mobile is on the way up. They have picked up boatloads of new subscribers with their "uncarrier" movement. Hopefully they invest wisely and continue to see progress I will switch when I am forced out of unlimited data with Verizon.

One thing about T mobile. Unlimited data means unlimited on the upper plans. There is no throttling back once the threshold is crossed.
The tethering is limited. You cross that threshold and your tethering is done for the remainder of the month. Cut automatic windows up dates OFF!!!

I run the 80 dollar plan. Unlimited text, talk, data, and 6GB of tethering. No contract. I'll run it for a while longer and sit back to look at what I really need usage wise. I'm keeping track.

I can go online and change my plans real quick and easy. Coupla minutes tops on a bad internet day.
I just love the freedom you have with T Mobile.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I've had Sprint and they didn't do go in my area. Couple of other type phones, Net 10 and Tracfone did better for reception but couldn't pickup inside, had to go outside.

I now have Verizon and love it. I can talk from my easy chair. The long drive from work I have reception all the way. Man that is new, use to only have a few mile stretch from home or closer to Goldsboro.

These are only local types, not sure about overseas.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you need coverage, my experience is you need Verizon. I don't like their prices or the apps they load on your phone but I've had coverage in places where no one else did: in the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee and in a town of less than 90 people in rural North Dakota.....
I do lose voice service for a mile here and there especially in southern Alamance County but have text service everywhere...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Appreciate the offer but I finally got a hardened phone with so much memory it doesn't matter. 3200 mAH battery, 16 GB Phone with a second 16 GB SDHC card... If it starts getting crowded, I'll holler for help...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.