NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Century, StCroix, Shimano….
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m headed to NC probably next Friday. I can pick anywhere on the coast to fish, as long as it’s saltwater (I got the annual nonresident salt license).

Where is likely to be the most productive? I’ve spoken with a guy in OBX about doing a +1 charter, but haven’t heard back & I have a tentative spot on the Carolina princess out of moorehead on Saturday.

I have the surf rods & pole holders, but will be coming down in a 2wd company vehicle so I’m limited on being able to drive down the beach… can anyone suggest some strategies or locations that I should research in more depth in order to attempt to wet a line & bebd a rod? Most of my Surf experience has been in the Caribbean or Florida, so I’m not sure how much will translate. I have 2x 10’ spinning surf rods and 1x 12.5’ casting & a 9’ casting that I was going to throw while letting the other 3 sit the bottom with fresh Cut bait and whatever I can find live.

I don’t have waders, just shin high muck boots… I’m planning on staying through Monday AM wherever I visit, I’m not opposed to going up & down the coast, but I feel like I need to pick north or south in the state as it’s a long way around if don't try to ferry across hatteras.
Thanks in advance!!
mark

· Registered
658 Posts
This is a really tough time of year down here. In my opinion, your best bet is going to be on the Carolina Princess—those guys know how to find fish and the crew are really great. I hope you have good weather and light winds on that day, but if you are prone to sea sickness be sure to pack some dramamine or see your doctor about the scopolamine patch.

Depending on how flexible you can be, there has been some inconsistent good fishing results in-shore, but you are going to need either a boat or a guide. The current hot fishery right now is on Speckled Trout (spotted sea trout) or Striped Bass. I would recommend Rich Andrews at Tar Pam Guide Service, or Mitch at Fish IBX. This would be on the Pamlico River/Tar River near the towns of Washington/Bath/Chocowinity.

I hope you have a good visit…please let us know how you make out.

· Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
231 Posts
Citation specks are laying back in the back of the creeks but as @Chris52 noted, you'd need a guide/boat for that. I think me and a buddy are planning on fishing one of those creeks either Saturday or Sunday (unless his plans have changed). It'll be a C/R exercise for us unless you want to take 15-20 lbs of fillets home with you. Both our freezers are full so we're just having fun. If you're interested, I can check and see if he's agreeable? We'd be fishing creeks in the upper Pamlico around Chocowinity. For the north beaches it's too early for the Point and drum but you should be able to scare up some specks out of the surf maybe. You might consider Oregon inlet and the new/old pier (the remains of the old , Bonner, bridge)... For the southern beaches, I'd see if @ice cream man can get you an update

As @Chris52 said, it's a little slow this time of year unless you want to try meat fishing with one of the head boats (personally not a fan but to each their own). Things begin to pick up in mid-March when the specks start to run out of the creeks and the reds are at the Point.

Tight lines and let us know how you do.

· Registered
Century, StCroix, Shimano….
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Citation specks are laying back in the back of the creeks but as @Chris52 noted, you'd need a guide/boat for that. I think me and a buddy are planning on fishing one of those creeks either Saturday or Sunday (unless his plans have changed). It'll be a C/R exercise for us unless you want to take 15-20 lbs of fillets home with you. Both our freezers are full so we're just having fun. If you're interested, I can check and see if he's agreeable? We'd be fishing creeks in the upper Pamlico around Chocowinity. For the north beaches it's too early for the Point and drum but you should be able to scare up some specks out of the surf maybe. You might consider Oregon inlet and the new/old pier (the remains of the old , Bonner, bridge)... For the southern beaches, I'd see if @ice cream man can get you an update

As @Chris52 said, it's a little slow this time of year unless you want to try meat fishing with one of the head boats (personally not a fan but to each their own). Things begin to pick up in mid-March when the specks start to run out of the creeks and the reds are at the Point.

Tight lines and let us know how you do.
I’m always interested in trying to get some saltwater fish for the family! I’ve made sure the hotel I’m staying at in Charlotte has a kitchenette so I can keep anything I catch frozen (I’ll have a yeti while I’m on the coast)

I did end up hearing back from the guide who is trying to put something together for Saturday offshore, but am making sure I can wet a line on the other days as well :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts