NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat show coming up in a couple weeks and want to make sure I check out boats that would be great in the sounds, capable for near offshore, and pretty good in the lakes.

I am used to fishing the Potomac, which is big, rough, and deep, so I may be used to boats that would be overkill for the sounds. From one of the books I have been reading, conditions seem more like the upper Cheasapeake (shallow flats) than the lower Cheasapeake (wider, lots deeper, rougher water).

I've been thinking 19-21' CC or DC, such as McKee 196, Key West 2020 or Pioneer 197. The book I have been reading makes it sound like I really should be looking at a low V type, such as a skiff, bayboat, or maybe a Parker 18 or 21 type.

Basically, which conditions am I going to find most often out there, shallow and not too rough, or deeper and potentially rougher. By rough I mean 2-3' closely spaced chop/minor whitecaps (Potomac was known for this, especially when tide change came opposite wind direction).

I'd have to trailer from the Raliegh/Wake Forest area, so I really want to stay away from any boats over 21', plus I fish Falls Lake and will start fishing Kerr next year.

I like my Arima, but it seems more fishing is casting instead of trolling down here, and the lack of a front deck and the high sides (which catch the wind) don't help this type of fishing. Not sure if our 170 CC Triumph is quite large enough though.

Help!, what does everyone else use and does it work for you?

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I fish a 19' Maycraft CC (it's a lot like the Parker). It's a nice compromise for me, I can get to all but the shallowest backwaters in the sound and creeks but I can do some light offshore/nearshore stuff. I've had it 12 miles straight out in the ocean on nice days King Mackarel fishing (3 foot seas or less) and often pop out just off shore to jig up gray torut, black bass, etc. I haven't had it in the lake but have taken it on the Cape Fear River a few times. We tube with it in the summer too. There's pics of it in the boat forum on this site.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719

If your not interested in taking the boat outside the inlets, you may want something with more of a flat bottom and shallower draft like a skiff (my boat drafts 11" with the motor up and I need about 18-20" to motor slowly, in 2' of water I'm good to go!).

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pamlico Sound boating

I have two boats - a Triumph 190 Bay and a Shamrock 246 WA. Typically I use the 190 Bay when I go out in the sound, but honestly there are lots of days with the 2-3 foot chop you experience on the Chesapeake (I've fished the Chesapeake many times with my 190 Bay). The 190 Bay is a capable boat for most of what you would do, though I think that if I had to do it again I would get a slightly longer boat (21 or 22 ft.) with a little more deadrise. That would make it more capable in rougher water and give you more flexibility when going offshore. I would also strongly recommend a trolling motor for working the creeks (the most powerful you can get).

Regarding the depth of the Pamlico sound, it is important to note that I have grounded the Triumph many times (and it has a 14" draft). Anything over 2 feet and you could run into problems.

If you don't feel the need for a casting platform or trolling motor, then Hampsteadfishing is correct in that a good 19 ft. center console (or if you can afford it..a 21 ft.) would also be a good choice.

Hope that helps..good luck!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, starting to look like a big bayboat or skiff, or maybe a Maycraft type boat. Conditions appear to be something like what I am used to, other than the shallower depths.

The sound appears to be a whole lot of water, is there a big difference in types/sizes of fish between the sounds and near (5 miles out) shore that would justify a larger boat, especially since I may only get out there a couple times a year?

I hate to even mention the word, but would a big bassboat work out there? Not sure of brands that are built for salt and rougher water though.

Oh well, show next weekend, I'm sure the salesmen can tell me all sorts of 30% accurate information.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
shemstreet---There is one situation no one has mentioned about the Pamlico Sound that you need to well aware of when selecting a boat. This body of water is notorious for pop up summer thunder storms. Over the years I have seen numerous unpredicted storms fire up around Cape Lookout and follow the warm waters NE through the Pamlico. I got caught in one of those between Ocracoke and Cedar Island a few years ago with winds above 60 mph for around an hour. I was in a 24 ft very similar in design to a Parker. Waves can get 5-6 ft. real quick, thats not the problem, they are less than 2 seconds apart. When you encounter this deal, you are over one wave -through or under the next. Whatever you run here, my advice is self bailing feature on whatever.The time I got caught I had two bilge pumps wide open plus self bailing. This body of water makes it hard to make a choice. You need shallow enough to clear shoals, deep enough to contend with the unexpected. I'm presently running a 18.5 ft McKee, shallow draft 11 in. and maybe a little dryer than a skimmer but I don't want to get caught in a storm with it.

Good Luck, Forrest

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Forest,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the unexpected storms. How are your weathermen out there, I know our weatherguys up on the Potomac and Bay couldn't get anything even half right.

I am considering the McKee 196, either the cc or the dc, but also had a chance to look at the 185 that you have. I kind of liked it, funky boat but seems pretty good for fishing. The one I saw at Webbs had an F115 on it. It looked bigger inside than the Key West 196, which was surprising to me. How do you like it? Do you have a trolling motor on it? Does it handle well?

As you can see, I am all over the place trying to figure out a boat that can do it all (hah!), or at least be safe, fun, and mega fishable. Mainly into bottom fishing, but also learning to bass / crappie fish the lakes hear near Raleigh.

Scott Hemstreet

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shemstreet - Fojoloy is right. This past summer I was out around Cedar Island when I was "surprised" by 4 (or was it 5) waterspouts that appeared almost out of no where (accompanied by a vicious thunderstorm). After putting on my lifejacket (and those of the other 3 passengers on my Shamrock) I made a beeline for shelter. Fortunately we got away from storm (and fortunately, the water was flat, which allowed for a full throttle run for shore).

I'd go for a 21 or 22 ft. bay boat. Most versatile boats on the water these days.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Scott---I am yet to find the all around boat for this area. Until four years ago I had two boats, a 24.5ft. deep vee for offshore fishing and it was almost useless for sound fishing here in Core Sound. I had a 19 ft. flat bottom for inlet and sound fishing, she would float in six inches of water, but beat us to death running in the sound chop. The Mckee is a down size compromise since we very seldom run outside anymore. I find ride and handling is better than the skimmers. I have my engine jacked up to the very max and with trim tabs she will run in less than 10 inches water loaded. I have a trolling motor. As for area weather forecasting, NOAA is located in Newport,NC, in the summer they will usually say conditions are favorable for afternoon thundershowers. It can be blowing a gale while locale tv and radio stations will be saying come on down to beach weather is beautiful.

Regards, Forrest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.