NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a somewhat novice freshwater angler....especially in NC, as I have yet to do any fishing....what would one expect to catch in the larger lakes around Concord/Charlotte, where would you focus your efforts on those lakes and what would you use for lures this time of year?

What I used in Florida were Rooster Tails, Texas Rigged Worms (or Lizards), and Spinner Baits. I never had much luck throwing anything else. I always seemed to do better on the darker worms either solid or colored tails. I always did well using some sort of biat with a blade, but most of my fresh water fishing were in neighborhood ponds, with a couple of lake trips.

I primarily focused on areas with cypress trees, pads, tall grass and any other sort of shelter. I am guessing the same would be true here, but without the cypress trees.

I did a little scouting this weekend at Mountain Island Lake....they seem to have a decent kayak launch area. I could see a couple of downed logs and of course docks. But there didn't seem to be any other defined structure that was visible from shore. Any thoughts on what to use and areas of focus would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Worms always worked well for me. Pumkinseed, purple w/ pink tails, and white. I have caught fish on roostertails. A broken back rapala is always a great lure, one of my favorites.

Like you I grew up fishing neighborhood ponds, but these lures all transferred to lakes well. When looking for areas to fish, a lot of bass seem to like docks and rip-rap (rocks people put along the shore of their yards that go into the water. this is just my experience.

I got a kayak last year and plan on doing some exploring in the same areas you are, so let me know if you find anything. Mt. Island is a great lake, as not as much boat traffic and the water is not too churned up. If you go to latta park, there is not a boat launch for big boats, but you can put kayaks/canoes in there. It looks pretty shallow too, so you may be by yourself. I will try there when it warms up.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Gonna get back to you on that eray. Gotta jet to meet ncbowfish for some gar scouting on Mt. Island. Dissapointed you snuck into Hardcore waters without telling me. I want to paddle that tarpon. Got tons of info for you guys if on Mt.Island .I know it like my hand. Rooster tail better than a full size bassmaster spinnerbait on Mt.Island. Flukes,spooks,dark worms, shallow cranks, rapalas. Little fishie type baits also.Same as Wylie & Norman just not as big on Mt. Island.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine at work has fished it regularly and a relative runs the Equestrian center out there. Took one of my daughters out there to look at the horses, the plantation and just walk around.....until I got there I had not idea they had a canoe/kayak launch....sounds like I might be on too something.

But I will tell you, it looked so different from what I am used to fishing in Florida that it might as well have been a bathtub. I did see two kayakers out there on the far shore, because of the sun I couldnt tell if they were carrying fishing gear, think they had an old pick up they used....anyone from here?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The same techniques will pretty much hold up here also. In the spring, like right now, head to the back shallows, that is where the water will warm up fastest and the hungry fish will be on the prowl for food.

They have to store up for the spawn.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
597 Posts
Lake Norman gets hit pretty hard for stripers. The little pond in front of Bass Pro is stocked but only open during event days - usually for kids:)

Spinners, jig 'n pig or jig n' chunk, worms finessed, and suspending lures are all good for provoking Bass as they begin to bed up.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if I get out there in the middle of the night before the store opens then maybe no one will notice!

Thanks for all the information. I hope to give it a try in the next two weekends and I will let you know how I do.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Eray there are two kayak launches at Latta. The one on the gravel road puts you on the main channel more or less and the one farther in the park puts you way back in Gar creek cove. Soon we`ll be checking on mc Dowell creek which is just up from Neck rd. boat landing. Hope the water is up enough. We like to put in at the bridge and paddle to the channel. Gotta work . Let me know when you go if you want some company from team Hardcore.----stu

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Stu, I will put up a post when I am going out....if I have advance notice. It is always better to have someone familiar with the area and methods the first few times out anyway.

What about frog patterns like Zoom Horny Toads or Seizmic Toads? I am trying to think of the fresh water lures that I have at least some confidence in using.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The zoom toad (or any) might work. I got some but don`t think I ever used them on the river. Bought them just for a pond full of lily pads. Oddly, right around Latta is the only stretch of the river I know that has alot of shore line grass and some lily pads near the main channel launch. Great outdoor prov. co. has their demos at the big put-in at Latta.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Horny Toad is a great lure for using around docks, grass and shoreline bedding bass. Not just pads.

And I have also caught Redfish, Trout, Jacks, Grouper, Ladyfish, Flounder and Snook on it. Both rigged weedless as a topwater/surface lure or on a elongated jig head bouncing off the bottom.

It was one of the best OLC's I ever did....everyone had a blast using that lure in Saltwater.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.