NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of these (calm) days I'm thinking about punching out to one of the closer AR's (Artificial Reefs).

Is it proper to anchor out there while bottom fishing or is drifting a better way?

Aren't the chances of getting your tackle snagged up greatly increased and how do you minimize that?

How do you respect the territory that the divers are using as far as your placement and distance?

Any other important info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike C.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Mike - it's refreshing to see someone ask the questions you have!

If the dive flag is flying, you should try to stay at least 100 feet away from the flag and if inside of 300 feet (a football field length) you should approach at idle speed or just fast enough to maintain steerage.

Anchoring on an AR is fine as long as you aren't "jumping" in the middle of another boats trolling pattern. It is against the law to tie up to a buoy marking the reef.

As to losing tackle - that depends on what the reef is made of and how you fish it. If it is made from wrecks and other jagged debris, expect to lose some tackle. Also you are more likely to get hung when drifting the bottom than when anchored.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike - it's refreshing to see someone ask the questions you have!
Well thanks :eek: I don't know what to say other than my life long salt water fishing experience has been nothing more than a pyramid sinker and a two hook rig baited with shrimp thrown into the surf or off a pier. Yeah, I've taken some charters and caught some decent fish but was oblivious to the rigging and the techniques. I'm 52 years old and feel like a kindergardner here. I am most definitely ready to expand my horizons and am very eager to learn. I appreciate you guys taking the time to bring me up to speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.