NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if any of our public waters might be located within hiking of a road that a 4x4 would be required or advisable? I know a lot of the forest rds are gated. I think I had asked about either N Mills a while back and there was some discussion that Yellow Gap road was pretty rough.
Just looking to add a little bit more adventure to my adventure...even though I haven't picked up my flyrod since thanksgiving.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Back in college we used to fish a tiny stream on NF land that we used 4x4's to get close to. We would drive a couple of miles off the paved road and then hike a little more. That was nearly 15 years ago, though, not sure what the gate policy is like now.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Very few that I know of. Going from Cataloochee to Big Creek in the GSMNP, but that's more of a clearance issue because of the rocks, Fires Ceek near Murphy used to be crap, but I do remember it being gated now. Maybe by the Pink Beds, but I've seen a Volkswagen make it up past the bridge. Last ungated road I was on was a little brookie stream just past Sylva, Only reason I guess it wasn't gated was it went through private property until you crossed the game land boundary. The road was so rutted, I had 33's on a 95 Yota and I got high centered my my truck slipped off into a rut. 99% of my 4x4 needs fishing are plowing through the snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.