NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was out after dark yak fishing and I passed a deep point and saw possible fish on my finder. Tried throwing a swim bait through the area for a while with one bump. This was in a brackish creek that is probably mostly fresh as far back as I was. Snapped a pic of the finder. It shows 3 feet but it must have measured off one of the blobs as I was in 13-14 feet. Hope you can see the pic good enough.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Been debating on putting a depth finder on my yak.....I like the concept of finding any group of fish grouped or schooled up in open water and getting a bait/lure down to them. This is something I've done very little of.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Some of the creeks around here have tons of leaves suspended this time of year and it shows up just like that if there is any flow at all moving them along. I ruined a motor due to leaves like that a few years ago. They had sucked up against my water intakes and I didn't know it. My overheat alarm was faulty and I cooked a 70 Evinrude before it finally started alarming.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Id say leaves, suspended grass clumps or small fish like perch, what you see on the screen would also depend on if you were moving and how fast.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I used to use a FishinBuddy 110; looks similar to your readout in some ways. I'd say you hit a school of perch or bream or crappie, but I would say they are likely fish of one sort or another.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I used to use a FishinBuddy 110; looks similar to your readout in some ways. I'd say you hit a school of perch or bream or crappie, but I would say they are likely fish of one sort or another.
Did it work for you? I've got one a friend loaned me a long time ago but it never seems to read properly as far as depth so I stopped messing with it. Suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
One mistake people make with those is they lean over to look at it. It is usually mounted on a small craft at the side and when you lean, the boat tilts and the transducer is no longer "square" with the bottom and the readings go bonkers.

Did it work for you? I've got one a friend loaned me a long time ago but it never seems to read properly as far as depth so I stopped messing with it. Suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts

Sent from my kayak...
Mine worked for depth, yes. Bait was hard to see because the pixel count and screen size were small, but I never had any problems with it myself.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Did it pick up regular fish properly?

Sent from my kayak...
You know, I never really relied on it to pick up fish, I only used it for depth. I don't know how reliable it was for locating fish... I would see them sometimes if I was paying attention but the pixels were so small that I had a hard time really using it for that purpose, so I guess the answer would be 'sometimes' ?

Reactions: wademaster

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I use one in the winter. without breaking the budget I ahve found that you get much better results from a 200 dollar FF than a 100 dollar one. more expensive ones will give even better results but your improvement for each dollar spent is not as great IMO

Darrell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.