1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
165 Posts
The “alabama bass” are slightly different from Kentucky spots. They get bigger. Some of our lakes have a lot of them. Belews is one of them as well as Norman, hickory, Gaston, and a couple others. They are the best thing they ever happened to belews and Norman.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The “alabama bass” are slightly different from Kentucky spots. They get bigger. Some of our lakes have a lot of them. Belews is one of them as well as Norman, hickory, Gaston, and a couple others. They are the best thing they ever happened to belews and Norman.
Some folks would disagree, but I love to catch them!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
For whatever reason those Alabama spots do not attain the size they are capable of in Belews. Size wise they are more like Kentucky spots. They should be able to attain 5+ lbs easily. In some California reservoirs they are hitting 11 lbs, very close to the WR smallmouth.

The biggest one I ever caught out there was right at 20" but I bet it still was 4 lbs or less (no scale). The typical fish I see is 2.5 lbs or less.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those big spots just play by a different set of rules than the 1-2 pounders. That’s the way they are everywhere. If you ever go to lanier you will wonder how we could recreate that fishery here.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anywhere you go that has spots (unless it gets little fishing pressure) those big spots are smart and live a different life than the small ones. I can tell you there are plenty of 3-4 pound spots in that lake, they just don’t live with the smaller ones very much. They’re very nomadic much like big smallmouth. Once you figure out how to catch them you can do it over and over again.

And that lake has GIANT largemouth in it. If you go around in the spring you can literally see them all over the place in packs up shallow. They’re hard to catch because of the water clarity just like any clear lake and after they leave the bank I have no idea where they go......but they do exist and in good numbers. In one day last spring I counted 20-25 bass swimming around that were all in the 7+ range. And a bunch more that were in the 3-7 range.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those big Alabamas/spots live DEEP. They don't roam around chasing bait like the schoolers you see in the 1-2 pound range. Those 2 pounders are fun to catch though, they pull hard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was talking to someone that lived there as I was fishing near their dock on a deep laydown. He said he caught a LMB that was 14#, not sure how true but I bet there are 10# class fish swimming around in Belews. The depth of Belews gives them somewhere to hide in the summer months, and Belews doesn't get much of a thermocline because it is so clear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was reading the history of Belews in an old article about how they basically flooded a small town......so yeah, water depths from 50 to 100 feet, those bass might literally be chilling inside a house under water :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I might would be more receptive to the thought of a larger bass of 7# with a picture actually on the lake. If not this time, please do so next time....you don’t have to show the area, just the fish...thanks..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I might would be more receptive to the thought of a larger bass of 7# with a picture actually on the lake. If not this time, please do so next time....you don’t have to show the area, just the fish...thanks..
Just research the tournaments at belews over the last couple weeks. I’m sure there are pictures on fb or some social media. I saw pictures of the fish but don’t have a link at the moment. But either way this was a dumb post lol doesn’t affect my life either way whether you believe there are big bass in that lake or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Question for you guys about spots on Belews....I often see catches by reaction type baits that are up in the water column. Jerkbaits, crank baits, wacky rig senkos, spinner baits, spoons, A-rigs, the float & fly, etc. I've seen a lot of people vertically jigging for them, especially at the hot water discharge.

Do you guys ever catch them by keeping contact with the bottom? Traditional jigs....texas rigged worms...Ned or Neko rigs....etc? I've really been trying to learn the traditional jig & pig style jig over the years but wonder if part of my lack of success with the lure is the fact that most of the fish in the lake aren't relating to bottom cover/structure as much as they are suspended and chasing schools of bait?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Question for you guys about spots on Belews....I often see catches by reaction type baits that are up in the water column. Jerkbaits, crank baits, wacky rig senkos, spinner baits, spoons, A-rigs, the float & fly, etc. I've seen a lot of people vertically jigging for them, especially at the hot water discharge.

Do you guys ever catch them by keeping contact with the bottom? Traditional jigs....texas rigged worms...Ned or Neko rigs....etc? I've really been trying to learn the traditional jig & pig style jig over the years but wonder if part of my lack of success with the lure is the fact that most of the fish in the lake aren't relating to bottom cover/structure as much as they are suspended and chasing schools of bait?
They relate to the bottom and structure a lot in the post spawn and mid fall around brush piles and lay downs. This time of the year the ones that are spawning are doing so on the bottom obviously so it’s a great time to go around and fish the bank with a shakey head or ned rig and catch a lot of fish. In the middle fall a drop shot is a good choice. The jigging spoon is a winter technique there and I can tell you that it is nowhere near as effective as in the last there because everyone and their brother use it.

·
Red X Angler
3,751 Posts
Jerry Condrey pointed out some time ago that the fish in Belews are Alabama bass rather than 'true' spots, I recall there being a whole thread about it; I eventually came to the conclusion that I could acknowledge they are Alabama Bass and just still refer to them as 'spots' for simplicity sake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts