NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting this area the first week of June, which I believe coincides with the opening of the delayed harvest trout season. I am looking for some advice about smallmouth bass and trout fishing. I do not fly fish and will instead be using ultra-light spinning equipment. I have not decided whether I will take my own kayak, or rent one from the nearby Zaloo’s outfitter. I would also like to do some wade fishing if I can locate a couple of easy access locations, either on the New, or on other wadable streams.

If anyone is familiar with this area I would really appreciate some tips and suggestions. I have never been to this particular area before, but in studying satellite maps it looks, at first glance, that Highway 16 might offer the best access points. HOWEVER, I am wide open to any and all advice you might have to offer. Thanks in advance…Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
First, the upper new river has been absolutely horrible the last 3 years due to a string of really bad spawns and more pressure than in the past. It was so bad I did not fish it at all Last year and used to fish it 3 times a week during the summer. Maybe it’s a little better this year. For the smallmouth that is getting to be a good time of the year. Use a 4 inch green pumpkin leader on a split shot rig or a finesse worm on the same rig. A weightless fluke is a good choice and a 4 inch green pumpkin senko will get you bites. When the conditions are right and the water is clear with a good population of fish there is nothing more fun that you can do. Good luck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see your a Red X Angler! Ray Wells and I may meet you for a kayak fishing float if your interested!
Great idea! The dates that would work for me are the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week (the 7th or 8th). Maybe we could make some kind of a plan by pm message?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I will be visiting this area the first week of June, which I believe coincides with the opening of the delayed harvest trout season. I am looking for some advice about smallmouth bass and trout fishing. I do not fly fish and will instead be using ultra-light spinning equipment. I have not decided whether I will take my own kayak, or rent one from the nearby Zaloo’s outfitter. I would also like to do some wade fishing if I can locate a couple of easy access locations, either on the New, or on other wadable streams.

If anyone is familiar with this area I would really appreciate some tips and suggestions. I have never been to this particular area before, but in studying satellite maps it looks, at first glance, that Highway 16 might offer the best access points. HOWEVER, I am wide open to any and all advice you might have to offer. Thanks in advance…Chris
Just to clarify Chris, Delayed Harvest trout season does not begin in June, it ends. At 12 PM on the first Saturday in June, all Delayed Harvest streams are open to be fished under Hatchery Supported rules. Definitely bring your kayak. Call Zaloo's about a shuttle from Wagners Access. There are trout in this section and I have personally seen a 25 inch beast of a rainbow caught. For your wading, work your way upstream of the Wagners launch, most water is waist to chest high.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it…guess I understood that but did not say it very well. Thanks for the other info, too!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Just to let you know- if you go on up near the NC/VA state line you can get into some of the best Muskie fishing in the US. A couple of friends of mine have been several trips since January and are catching two to four Muskie each trip in the 36"-46" range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts