NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on vacation next week staying at the Palms Suites in Atlantic Beach. They have a boat ramp and slips so I'm taking my boat down there. Never fished this area from a boat, usually just pier fished down here, and boat fish for trout, drum, and flounder in the Pamlico and the creeks off of it. Anyone got any suggestions on a decent area to go down here? I hear about Radio Island and the Haystacks, but have never fished either one. It will be about 3 miles to Radio Island from where we are staying. Motel is close to the bridge from Morehead to Atlantic Beach. I will have the wife who has said she is not interested in going out into the ocean, so that's out, lol. Will also have my 15 year old son and one of his friends, both of whom would rather fish than eat. I have a 19 foot Sea Pro bay boat with a 115 Suzuki on it, if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here are a few quick and easy ideas: 1) drifting for flounder and bluefish (along with a bunch of "trash" fish) in the sound behind Shackleford Banks using carolina-rigged small menhaden, mud minnows or finger mullet, 2) casting small metal jigs or soft plastics for spanish, gray trout, flounder and bluefish in the lagoon adjacent to the Coast Guard station at Ft. Macon, and 3) cruising the inlet and around the Ft. Macon jetty sight casting for fish feeding on the surface. This is an early morning activity before the crowds put the fish off their feed. Look for birds diving on the water and the splashes made by the fish. Throw small (nothing over 1/2 oz.) metal jigs and reel 'em in real fast. The folks at Chasin' Tails Tackle Shop will set you up with the right baits and provide addition up-to-minute advice on the hot bite.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
And any boat docks in a little deeper water should hold flounder. Just don't fish them on a wide open tide change or a slack tide. A little moving water is good tho. Also fish the eddies in that bridge by your motel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Catch some finger mullet and hook to a 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig. Cast right up against pylons on any docks up and down the ICW and waterfronts. You'll find some pretty flounder.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fishing Around Morehead

Mr. Bowhunter and Mr. Wily have excellent ideas, too. To their suggestions I'd like to add that throwing a popping cork and plastic shrimp in those same places should result in some action, too. Color of the shrimp is not too important, but you may want to start with glow or something that has some pink in it. Keep the leader depth at about 24", but don't be afraid to vary it depending on the water depth. A live shrimp under that cork is a surefire way to get bit...mostly from pinfish, however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We will definitely try them out. I will post pics of what we catch. (being positive here, lol)

·
Registered
768 Posts
C-rig with a live minnow (you can catch all you want right there at the dock) throw straight off the end off the dock there. I've owned one of the condos there since 2006 and fished a many nights off that dock.

You will see a creek cut off to the left, on incoming and outgoing tides fish the mouth. Lots of flounder and drum to be caught right there. You know.....for them times when everybody is just sitting around being lazy. There is fish to catch without much effort.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts