NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading over the various posts I see various artificial baits being used, example of one is Gulp baits. Is there any chance that some of you may have a good photo of some of these baits? I ask because when I look at Gulp baits there are enough to fill a football stadium.

Presently the only artificial baits I have are VuDu shrimp. I'm hoping to expand my artifical bait arsenal to keep myself busy while fishing live/cut baits.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I like DOA products personally. Gulp is expensive and not very durable IMO. Get you a few Mirrolure 17mr's and a few Topwater plugs such as Heddon Super Spook Jr, Mirrolure Top Pup, Rapala Skitterwalks or Storm Chug Bugs then for soft plastics get you some DOA Shad Tails, DOA Jerk Shads (zoom fluke look alike) a popping cork and some 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jig heads. Here are pictures of the DOA products I mentioned.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
This is a 4" that I used for better distance in the surf & caught 7 or 8 Reds that day on it. Surf Reds 7 Just me. 006.jpg

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Gulp is actually made largely with natural ingredients; it will stink up your hands and tackle box and it can go bad. It works very well, but I wonder if it really should be considered an artificial.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used to use gulp, but stick with saltwater assasin and z-man soft plastics now, and add the appropriate scent of pro cure to the lure every so often. Gulp used to be pretty durable, but now one good swipe from a pinfish can render you bait useless with half of it gone. I dont have that problem with the z-man baits or saltwater assasin baits.

As far as colors, I think you could get by with have a new penny color, a white or pearl, and an electric chicken and catch fish on most any day. My go to seems to be new penny color. Ill match them with blue water candy jigs ranging from 1/8 ounce to 1/2 ounce and can cover most any situation. Put it under a popping cork for even more variety.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to use gulp, but stick with saltwater assasin and z-man soft plastics now, and add the appropriate scent of pro cure to the lure every so often. Gulp used to be pretty durable, but now one good swipe from a pinfish can render you bait useless with half of it gone. I dont have that problem with the z-man baits or saltwater assasin baits.

As far as colors, I think you could get by with have a new penny color, a white or pearl, and an electric chicken and catch fish on most any day. My go to seems to be new penny color. Ill match them with blue water candy jigs ranging from 1/8 ounce to 1/2 ounce and can cover most any situation. Put it under a popping cork for even more variety.
I'm a bit confused about the popping cork set up. I have included an image of the popping cork I know of (I've used in the past when using shad/shiners for bass fishing) Anyway, not sure I am reading this correctly, but are you suggesting that you simply float one of these baits underneath a popping cork and that's it?

10202200.jpg

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
That cork will make a splashing sound if Jersey while fished but that is all. It is really just a float. A popping cork (there are several designs) generally are made up of a hard plastic float or a float like you show but with hard ends. These are threaded on a piece of stiff wire that is maybe 6-8" long. On the wire is also some rattles on each end and the float slides up and down the wire as it is Jersey and it makes a lot of noise and vibration when it is Jersey and it slams into the other rattles.
I got a good tip here last year and I now just use a top water plug that has a rattle or two inside of it. I removed the hooks and tie one end to the line as normal and tie the "bait" to the end where the back hook goes. For me it is a simpler and cheaper solution. It makes a lot of splashing and rattling noise and the rattles make noise while just drifting on slight chop.
Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with AMG. If there are pinfish around you'll be replacing your Gulp every few casts because they tear it apart. I use a bunch of different types of Zman with a dollop of ProCure. Zman can be difficult to get set properly on the barbs of your jighead but well worth that little bit of extra work. They can last an entire day of catching fish and getting beat to death by pinfish.

Regarding popping corks, Trigger posted some pics above of various shapes of rattle/popping corks by DOA. There are other makers too. They have brass beads, metal washers, and glass beads on a SS or Ti shaft that "click" when you give the line a jerk. Its not my favorite way to fish but there is no doubt they are VERY effective. You simply tie your main line directly to the top of the cork wire then tie a fluoro line on the bottom side to your jig. I usually use about 24" - 30" of fluoro.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
youtube is your friend lots of vids on how to fish popping corks... I like to cast and pop, pause, pop mine back to the boat at varying speeds. some people troll them behind the boat but not me usually.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
youtube is your friend lots of vids on how to fish popping corks... I like to cast and pop, pause, pop mine back to the boat at varying speeds. some people troll them behind the boat but not me usually.
Funny that you mention You Tube. I spent some time on You Tube trying to find the "best" ways to hook live baits (mud minnows/mullet). Let's see, there are : hooking through lips, hooking through eyes, hook thru back and the hook through the tail (which I found kind of odd). I suppose everyone has their own methods

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
lol hooking them in the tail works good if you want the minnow to swim down or away from you... through the lips if your free lineing or trolling at slow speeds and through the back if using under a cork near structure. different setups for different situations.

popping corks are the easiest way to catch fish on artificials... just throw it out and pop it every now and then on the way back to the boat. Slow or Fast depending on how active fish are.

BTW GO Gators!!! I was born in gainesville and grew up in FL...

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol hooking them in the tail works good if you want the minnow to swim down or away from you... through the lips if your free lineing or trolling at slow speeds and through the back if using under a cork near structure. different setups for different situations.

popping corks are the easiest way to catch fish on artificials... just throw it out and pop it every now and then on the way back to the boat. Slow or Fast depending on how active fish are.

BTW GO Gators!!! I was born in gainesville and grew up in FL...
This is such an amazing change from freshwater fishing. I was born in Jacksonville, Fl and grew up in Orange Park. Spent all my time fishing the St Johns River/Rodman Resevoir and Lake George. As I mentioned in a different post catching red fish was very common in the St Johns River (always by accident). Occasionally I would join my father and travel to Mayport NAS and fish the jetties where he would school me on salt water fishing. Honestly, never really had a huge interest in salt water to much later on in life.
Now I find myself consumed by saltwater fishing. I feel like I'm 40 years behind in the learning so trying to play catch up :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts