NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Ascend FS12T was the first Kayak that I ever bought last February. There are a lot of pro's to this kayak. The whole top of the kayak is open so you can bring a ton of stuff with you and keep it out of the way(nets, measuring board, and what not). The kayak is very big and roomy and you will feel very comfortable in it with a lot of place to move around. And obviously the best part is the price point can not be beat. My problems with it were that the kayak is very heavy, and it comes with no side handle to lift it up on a car. You can add handles but kayak with molded handles are stronger and easy to lift. It is also very slow and hard to paddle. They also put a rod holder right where you need to paddle that you need to remove immediately. If you ever need to get the kayak down to the water from any distance you need either a nice cart or another person to help. I think the most important thing you need to look at is how you would transport it and will it be easy to get to and from the fishing hole fairly easy. I ended up selling my kayak and saving some money and buying a Moken 12.5 from austin kayak for 900. it was a little more but has been so much better. Paddles very well and tracks very well. internal rod storage makes a big difference, molded handles in the side make it easy to life on top of a car, and the biggest plus is the wheel in the keel. That thing is awesome you can wheel the kayak with all you gear on it anywhere, through most ground conditions. it makes everything much easier and I have fished a lot more because of it. I know this was long, but just wanted to help out with my 2 cents.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Ascend FS12T was the first Kayak that I ever bought last February. There are a lot of pro's to this kayak. The whole top of the kayak is open so you can bring a ton of stuff with you and keep it out of the way(nets, measuring board, and what not). The kayak is very big and roomy and you will feel very comfortable in it with a lot of place to move around. And obviously the best part is the price point can not be beat. My problems with it were that the kayak is very heavy, and it comes with no side handle to lift it up on a car. You can add handles but kayak with molded handles are stronger and easy to lift. It is also very slow and hard to paddle. They also put a rod holder right where you need to paddle that you need to remove immediately. If you ever need to get the kayak down to the water from any distance you need either a nice cart or another person to help. I think the most important thing you need to look at is how you would transport it and will it be easy to get to and from the fishing hole fairly easy. I ended up selling my kayak and saving some money and buying a Moken 12.5 from austin kayak for 900. it was a little more but has been so much better. Paddles very well and tracks very well. internal rod storage makes a big difference, molded handles in the side make it easy to life on top of a car, and the biggest plus is the wheel in the keel. That thing is awesome you can wheel the kayak with all you gear on it anywhere, through most ground conditions. it makes everything much easier and I have fished a lot more because of it. I know this was long, but just wanted to help out with my 2 cents.
I also have the one he mentioned. Everything he said is pretty much spot on. For me, the rod holder isn't quite in the way, although I do wish it was a couple of inches forward. The dry storage area's dont stay to dry. Handles would be a HUGE plus for transporting to the water. I usually just drag mine (not on concrete though) I bought it last june. It does paddle slow, like 2.3mph, as per my GPS and does not track well at all. If you finish a paddle to your left side, you will do a 180+ in that direction. But is roomy as can be.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you get one make sure you secure it to your vehicle well ;)

In all seriousness though, most people have great things to say about them. Looks like they'd paddle like a barge, as others have stated.

Seems like the Pescador, FS12 and Eagle Talon are all great boats for the price range. It comes down to personal preference and which you can find the best deal on when you're ready to buy.

That being said, if your buddy is willing to part with his Native that would be a better boat, even if it's used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased this kayak (FS12T) last September. It is my first kayak and I am very happy with it. What I was looking for was the ability to stand up and stretch with a lawn-chair-style seat all while under $700. Let me tell you that at the time I was pricing out a kayak, those criteria were limited. Another thing I kept in mind is that I wasn't sure how much I was going to use it. As fingerfishing has already stated, it is a slow mover. The width has alot to do with that. I have two family members that have Old Town Predator 13's and I haven't had trouble keeping the pace with them. Then again, we weren't going head-to-head and racing....just fishing.

If this is your first purchase of a kayak...go for it. I have fallen in love with kayak fishing and have caught fish, which is always a plus!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.