NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a few weekends this fall in the West Jefferson area getting ready for deer hunting and doing some trout fishing. I've fished the north and south forks of the New River and Big Helton Creek (which is delayed harvest catch and release single hook artificial only waters).

Missed the biggest Brown Trout of my life on the North fork throwing an in-line spinner for a few casts randomly (it was a massive fish 5+lbs. for sure!). Such is my luck this half of the year with having huge fish spit the bait feet from me... But, I have caught a lot of nice trout on both the fly and spinning rods methods recently. All waters are running clear at good levels. Trout are hitting all the normal trout stuff…Haven't seen a deer yet.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I lost a big one in the Helton too. Definitely feel your pain.

Have you (or anyone else here) fished Big Horse Creek in Ashe? I had a buddy that raved about ti a while back, but I haven't tried it yet. Supposedly it's not too far from Helton.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Big Horse Creek in Ashe?
Some folks find it just a little further than they want to travel. The DH section thru the "downtown area" of Lansing can fish good....and sometimes not so good at all. I tend to like the area upstream and downstream of "downtown." Takes a little exploring to figure out good access points and a couple or three trips to figure out the bottom and good fish holding areas. Like most DH streams, spots that are easiest to stock are likely candidates. And, Big Horse has been a hatchery supported stream for quite a while so a lot of spots along the whole stream often hold fish....and there are some feeder creeks that may provide some wild trout in the mix...as well as the headwaters of Big Horse. Sometimes exploring beyond the obvious spots produces good results.

Depending on your map reading and preferences, you may want to approach from W. Jefferson. But, from the heart of Lansing "downtown," via 194, it about 10-15 minutes over to the Sturgills area on Helton.

Some folks will hit both streams in the same day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone been on helton creek in the past few weeks? Going to make it there this week. Was just wondering if it has had the kind of drop off in fish that the other DH places have had recently.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't made a run up to those creeks in the past few weeks due to deer hunting. I did see a few trout on the south fork of the New the other day, but did not have the right stuff to land them. (broke one off) Dash let me know how you do if you get a chance to fish them... Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Anyone been on helton creek in the past few weeks? Going to make it there this week. Was just wondering if it has had the kind of drop off in fish that the other DH places have had recently.
I've seen good reports. You can't always go by one report. Sometimes you have to fish the water to form an accurate opinion. And sometimes it's just an off day for fishing.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
69 Posts
We had a great day yesterday on Helton. The weather was a bit rough with the snow, but it was manageable. Started out in a trusty old reliable spot and picked up 3 fish in quick succession Egg Pattern. Lost a few more nothing too major size wise. Best of the group was a 13" brown. Moved a few more times and caught a couple of little bows. I was with my nephew and dad and neither of them have any amount of patience. So, after lunch we broke out the spinning gear. Fished a stretch of water that had never fished before and picked up over a dozen decent sized Brookies myself alone. I hooked up with the biggest Brookie I had ever seen along the that run. Honestly guess was that it was 20"-21" and fat (I'm sure later that fish will grow several more inches for this story). I missed him with the net twice. He didn't give me a third try as he snapped my line.

All-in-all it was a fun day and the fishing was really good. Almost every one of the fish was 10" or bigger.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
We had a great day yesterday on Helton. The weather was a bit rough with the snow, but it was manageable. Started out in a trusty old reliable spot and picked up 3 fish in quick succession Egg Pattern. Lost a few more nothing too major size wise. Best of the group was a 13" brown. Moved a few more times and caught a couple of little bows. I was with my nephew and dad and neither of them have any amount of patience. So, after lunch we broke out the spinning gear. Fished a stretch of water that had never fished before and picked up over a dozen decent sized Brookies myself alone. I hooked up with the biggest Brookie I had ever seen along the that run. Honestly guess was that it was 20"-21" and fat (I'm sure later that fish will grow several more inches for this story). I missed him with the net twice. He didn't give me a third try as he snapped my line.

All-in-all it was a fun day and the fishing was really good. Almost every one of the fish was 10" or bigger.
Were you using the egg pattern with a nymph as well? Above the nymph? Sounds like you had a great day....except for the escaped brookie. Maybe the fly rod would've given enough to keep the line from breaking....hahah.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes, above. But all of the fish I caught were on the egg. I honestly still don't know a ton about fly selection so the nymph I was using might have been the wrong one for that time. These DH stream that are loaded with willing fish are fun for me because I can kind of test a bunch of different things.

I prob could've landed the big one if I'd had just slowed down. I got excited and got my drawers in a wad and horsed the fish when I should have backed off and let him tire himself out. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
yes, above. But all of the fish I caught were on the egg. I honestly still don't know a ton about fly selection so the nymph I was using might have been the wrong one for that time. These DH stream that are loaded with willing fish are fun for me because I can kind of test a bunch of different things.

I prob could've landed the big one if I'd had just slowed down. I got excited and got my drawers in a wad and horsed the fish when I should have backed off and let him tire himself out. Lesson learned.
Sometimes those productive waters are all but productive. What nymph(s) did you try?

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.