NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a got a couple of folks to go with me on Tuesday. If anyone else is going give me a shout. I will be out first thing that morning looking for anything hungry. Probably start out looking for bonito if anyone has any info to share it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd start at 315. Tuesday forecast looks decent to get out there. Spanish in #'s, is going to happen ANY day now. There are a few around now. Water temps this past weekend were 68 and 69 in the inlets.

Also marked lots of bait from 1/2 mile to 50 miles out. Things will be turning for the good this week!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was there over the weekend.
didn't catch anything of size..this doesn't mean they weren't there..just not biting what I using.
others didn't have any better luck in the surf either.
may you have better luck..please report back
-dkenny

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I went out this afternoon since I was already here. It's was rough atleast to me it was. Went out a little way and came back and trolled the inlet and picked up some blues. I will be trying to go out again in the morning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow. I will get a late start though. May stay inside and look for sheepies or venture off for flounder. Hail me on the radio if you want to swop some info.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
When I sailed, we always monitored 16 and if someone wanted to chat they would say "____ (club name) go to channel __ " twice and then change to that channel. The idea was that it meant that most of the time we were monitoring 16 on the off chance there was a distress call near by, our radios were on the distress channel in case we had distress - all we would have to do was hit the button and start screaming for help - and we limited our "abuse" of the channel to a short message. If the CG or anyone else wanted to chew us out or complain, they knew what channel to find us on but that never happened.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I noticed Sunday that some (what do you call them sailboaters?) were talking on 16 and were politely told by the coast guard to move to another channel, so obviously *sailboaters* still practice that but I dont agree with it. Last thing I want when I have an emergency is to be stepped on by a sailboater talking about the beautiful hole he moored in last night.

When I sailed, we always monitored 16 and if someone wanted to chat they would say "____ (club name) go to channel __ " twice and then change to that channel. The idea was that it meant that most of the time we were monitoring 16 on the off chance there was a distress call near by, our radios were on the distress channel in case we had distress - all we would have to do was hit the button and start screaming for help - and we limited our "abuse" of the channel to a short message. If the CG or anyone else wanted to chew us out or complain, they knew what channel to find us on but that never happened.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Blowboaters. :)

The club I was in did not converse on 16 but monitored 16 unless they wanted to converse and then did a very brief request for others to join them on another channel. It did result in more boats monitoring the channel but it also meant that there was a tiny chance that someone trying to get help would have to wait a few seconds because a conversation request was being made. I am not sure whether the benefit of having more boats monitoring the channel outweighs the potential for that causing a problem or not. I also noticed a lot of other people did the same thing, hailing a particular vessel or anyone in a particular area and asking them to go another channel. I honestly don't know what makes more sense. In an emergency, it would be nice if the other boats nearby were monitoring 16.

I know in some places the kayakers chat on 69, but they aren't likely to be able to help with a power boat's distress call anyway.

Do the regs explicitly say to never make a non emergency transmission on 16?

EDIT - looked it up quickly to answer my own question. 16 is for "Distress, safety and calling" and I believe that what the club did is "calling".

Channel Frequencies and Usages are from the Coast Pilot; Pacific Coast (25th Edition)
CHANNEL
TRANSMIT/RECEIVE (MHz)
USAGE
----------------------------------------------------------------
/156.800
Distress, safety and calling

·
Registered
768 Posts
16 is an emergency channel as well as a hailing channel. It's used by big boats to hail the marina they are tying up to. The marina will respond and request the vessels to turn to 9. Same thing for hailing a bridge to open, then they will respond and request you to change over to 13.

Pleasure and rec fishing boats converse on 68 and 72, charters use 11. I always have 1 radio on 16 and the other scanning at all times.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How did you do?? I got out there late and got a few flatties. One was 5-6lbs!
Man that's awesome. I started out at 6 got half way out of the inlet and chickened out. The other few times I went out of there it was no where near as bad as the last two days. I think my inexperience holds me back more than the boat. How was inlet this afternoon? I assume once you get out its not as bad. I did catch some blues trolling around the inlet with yozuri dd.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Man that's awesome. I started out at 6 got half way out of the inlet and chickened out. The other few times I went out of there it was no where near as bad as the last two days. I think my inexperience holds me back more than the boat. How was inlet this afternoon? I assume once you get out its not as bad. I did catch some blues trolling around the inlet with yozuri dd.
At least you caught something!! Yea it was out right gorgeous out there today. Water clarity was unbelievable giving all the down pours we had last week and wind.

You'll get on them eventually. Its always better to be cautious and learn your new boat than not and end up in trouble.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Man that's awesome. I started out at 6 got half way out of the inlet and chickened out.
NEVER lose that fear of Mother Ocean. More often than not the boat will handle more than the Captain and crew, but if you ever lose that fear and choose to push the limits you're asking for trouble. You made a good decision to turn around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts