NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Going to be in the Atlantic beach area fishing on Friday. I was told that if the waves are not to bad I could check out the Steamer wreck just off the beach hunting for Mackerel, or Queens and Bear creeks if it is to choppy/windy. I'd love to connect with anyone else fishing the area. I'm pretty easy going and always learning new things from smarter more experienced local fisherman. Please holler if your free.

Best!

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Welcome to NCangler, we are glad to have you. The Spanish are running a little behind this year, to the extent that I wouldn't bother trying for them just yet. There have been some nice flounder caught around the inlet and the trout and drum bite (red and black) has been exceptional. Queens creek is a wonderful place to fish from a Kayak, as is the barrier islands around bear inlet. Since you are staying at Atlantic Beach, you might want to consider fishing the Haystacks, Carrot Island, and the North River Marshes. All 3 are holding reds and trout right now. If you are searching for a cooler full of tasty fish to bring home with you the port is holding all the sea mullet you can stand with a good mix of pufferfish and gray trout as well.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
If I were you and you don't have access to a boat, I would fish either at the Fort Macon Jetty or at Bogue Inlet Pier which is in Emerald Isle. Here is their website: http://www.bogueinletpier.com/

The smaller black drum and mullet are some of the tastiest fish in the ocean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. It looks like based on weather we may go offshore on Friday and fish the skinny water on Saturday. If anyone is free on Saturday for some inshore work, I'd love to connect with you and hit the water.

Best,

Dennis

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I would like some advice for fishing the port area in a kayak. How careful do you need to be with tides. Would like to try the bridges for Sheepshead, The port for Sea Mullet, and the turning basin as well. Carrot island is right there also.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The current really rips through the port area there and I wouldn't feel comfortable in a kayak. I think a much better bet for you would be to put in at the ramp on the left right when you get into Beaufort. There are two bridges you can fish over there. One to the duke marine lab and the draw bridge into Beaufort. Let me know if you want more specifics as to where I'm talking about. There Are just some large wakes in the turning basin especially when its busy it slaps against the docks and can be pretty bumpy

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
You would be ok by the high rise bridge but I wouldn't venture into the port area. There is just way too much boat traffic IMO. That and the tide runs really strong in there. I have nearly been ran over by the large freighters pushing a barge that didnt see me and I was so engaged in catching fish I nearly didnt see them. If I wouldn't have had 175 ponies I doubt I would have got out of the way in time. If the missed a 20 foot boat, I would venture to say it wouldn't be hard for them to overlook at kayak. There are plenty of fish to be caught on the high rise and train bridge not to have to worry about the safety risk of getting into the port. If you absolutely must venture into the turning basin, do it on a week day and absolutely do not try it this coming weekend.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Thanks Trigger. You have solid advice. Yeah I wouldn't try to fish the port area on a Saturday. Is there a good place to catch sea mullet out of a yak without being in the turning basin or near the port? I know they quite easily caught from the surf as I have done it lots but I wondered if I could maybe find some bigger ones with the yak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts