NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, three of us are headed to Morehead/Atlantic Beach tomorrow through Monday. Got a cobia trip lined up on Sunday, but was wondering what to do on Saturday. Any advice on areas to possibly fish from the beach that can produce or am I better off at the pier. Looked like you can maybe fish the inlet up near Fort Macon best I could tell, but as I have never been there before I am not sure. I am used to fishing down in the Cape Fear area near Wilmington/CB/Southport/Oak island areas, but have been wanting to try the cobia bite up this way for years now. Thanks for any help leading us in the right direction.

PS: If anybody is going Saturday and has some room and needs some company, we can pitch in on gas

·
Registered
940 Posts
The dredging at fort Macon inlet has it a bit off. I had some fun with blues (and spanish by now) off Oceanna Pier. There is also Bogue inlet pier (one of my favorites). As far as surf fishing, hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck with the Cobia!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The dredging still has things out of whack. I fished at radio island twice this week and didn't catch much but a few bottom dwellers. You may want to try and catch the ferry to shackleford and fish there. Good luck!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
God luck, you couldnt pay me to set foot near a beach this weekend.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had to make a last minute run to gville late this afternoon. When I got to newbern, traffic started at burger king light all the way across the bridge and almost to Bridgton!! (yes the whole bridge almost) And I bet there was 300 boats being pulled!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I cant imagine what the ramps will look like either.. Oh boy, real test in patience there...

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The idiots come out of the woodwork on the holidays. Like a bunch of caged monkeys that found the key.
I don't go anywhere on holiday weekends in warm weather.
The older I get the less I can deal with it.

It amazes me seeing the amount of cars headed east in Johnston county. You sit there and wonder where they all go. These beach communities aren't but so big. Then I wonder why they would go.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am in downtown Raleigh hanging out while my kids are in the madhouse that is Animazement. This thread makes me feel better about what I am missing. Sounds like it is just a different zoo down there...

Sent from my phone with TapaTalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was there. I go only holidays but normally leave the boat in the shed and stay at Harkers island and get caught up on yard work or other little projects. But I promised the little one a boat ride and some fish. No way was I going to put in on the island it was a madhouse. Dragged the boat to the ramp at the airport in Beaufort. Mad house too but got in and rode to Cahing Tails got some bait and tied up under the Radio Island draw bridge. Few pin fish and that was it. Next holiday I will do my chores and stay off the water.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It wasn't too bad on sunday and monday. I took the boat over to Shack on Sunday due to not getting back into town until lunch time Sunday and I didn't think it was any more than a normal summer weekend crowd. We went cobia fishing Monday morning and at 730 AM the Airport ramp had maybe 15 trailers in the parking lot. We caught bait and fished the cape and while crowded, I didn't think it was any worse than any other weekend. Any saturday or sunday with light winds like we had this weekend is going to be crowded. Not just holidays. Now through September even the weekdays are crowded if the weather is nice. You just have to get away from the crowd to find fish. We saw plenty of Cobia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts