NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Physh Ed:Fishing and Boating Program Extends Grant Application Deadline

Teachers are encouraged to apply for fishing and boating grants

January 22, 2008 - Alexandria, VA – The Physh Ed National Fishing and Boating Grants Initiative is extending the deadline for grant applications to February 4, 2008. The Physh Ed program provides grants to kindergarten through grade 12 teachers to implement fishing and boating units in their physical education classes.

For the 2008/2009 school year, the foundation is offering individual grants of $2,500 to qualified teachers. Grant monies can be used for fishing and boating equipment, field trips, curriculum materials and other resources to assist instructors in carrying out fishing, boating and conservation education. Grant recipients also receive a week of training in fishing and boating techniques. The training is scheduled for July 6 – 10, 2008, in Traverse City, Mich.

Applications must be received via e-mail no later than 5:00 p.m., E.S.T., Monday, February 4, 2008.
To obtain grant application forms or for more information on the Physh Ed National Fishing and Boating Grants Initiative and other angler education programs and services, please visit www.futurefisherman.org or contact Executive Director Anne Danielski at [email protected], or 703-519-9691, x254. All applicants will be notified of the status of their grant application by March 30, 2008.

The Physh Ed program is a partnership between the Foundation and the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation (RBFF). Since 2004, the Foundation has awarded over $1,000,000 in grant funds to public, private and chartered institutions introducing over 48,000 students in 39 states to fishing and boating. The goal for the upcoming school year is to engage over 10,000 students nationwide in fishing and boating activities.

The Future Fisherman Foundation and the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation provide a wealth of information on where to fish and boat, how to get started, how to obtain a fishing license and local fishing and boating regulations on their respective websites. For more information please visit www.futurefisherman.org and www.takemefishing.org.

The Future Fisherman Foundation is the fishing recruitment and education arm of the American Sportfishing Association, the sportfishing industry’s trade association. The Future Fisherman Foundation unites the sportfishing industry with a nationwide network of state outdoor educators, national conservation groups and youth organizations, offering a variety of fishing and boating programs, equipment and services to community groups and schools across the country. These efforts help people of all ages have safe and enjoyable fishing experiences that foster conservation ethics.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Jeff, after that one young man drowned last year while out with his mentor has really discouraged anything like this. I know I have been hesitant to do such a thing with the students who ask me if they can go with me.

On a side note. How can I turn this into a workable thing for my algebra I class. HMMMMM. Have to study up on that.:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
My Wife has forwarded this info to the Coach at school who has been wanting to start and boating/fishing course. So maybe we can get something going......

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Principal at the school just told me to go ahead and apply for this. Looks like I may be the advisor for the Fishing club here at the school. Might have to lean on some of you guys to help me out. Anyone intereste??

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Have to find a PE teacher who will let me piggy back on with them. It has to be a PE teacher and another teacher. I might be able to swing it but my time restraints will be tough.

If I do get this grant. What would I need to spend the money on?? You have to provide a list and the costs for you. Should I call gander mtm or tarheel game and fish??? Help. I'm in way over my head when I started reading all the stuff that goes into this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first thing to do is get in the media. Once you are in the media, sponsors will see that the club is a worthwhile investment that will pay off. Contact Zebco/Quantum, Pure Fishing (I think a have a contact for them), and Dicks Sporting Goods/Gander Mountain (they can provide prizes for contests, raffles, etc.). This is what we are trying to do with our fishing club, I've contacted a few people and they are interested in doing pieces on us, but they really want more of a story than just a group of guys (and girls) that get together to fish, but something that sticks out: community service (promote a youth fishing rodeo), host a stream clean up day, etc.

I am sure that an ambitious group of environmentally conscious high school students in rural North Carolina would hit the spot in the news. A few years back a school in West Virginia blew up in the media after a science class conducted a survey on the bass population and found that chemicals/radiation had made many of the fish sterile or hermaphrodic.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Coach I'll help all I can. My wife has submitted her grant forms already so I may be working with her school too!!

Reactions: Coach D

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Good luck with the application Coach - no telling where it will go, but sounds like a fun ride.

I was thinking that you've got a couple of world class resources in your neighborhood with JEFPEC and A.K. McCallum's. If they're amenable, JEFPEC could provide service opportunities for the class (helping with the stocking, clean up, etc...) and their normal fishing education and fly-fishing training. McCallum's might be able to give you a deal on a boat (donate?) - get some shop space and the class could work on rigging and customizing. Maybe turn around and raffle/auction it off at the end of the year?

Another idea might be an NCangler fishing club forum and a requirement/points system for posting reports, doing research, etc...

I imagine that their training program will provide all kinds of ideas & requirements.

Not sure how much regular,ongoing support I can provide from Raleigh, but we could surely get some rigged kayaks down there for a demo. To the extent that I can help from the keyboard, just say the word!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. The auto shop guy is a big fisherman himself (gotta invite him to the forums) and he is wanting to help sponsor the club as a faculty advisor. So working on a boat might be a great idea. Zebco/ Quantum is a great idea. Not sure if I can get info turned around by Monday though. This is gonna be a crunch and I hope i can do a good job on it and get this going. The two page course of action is hurting me right now. But i did get a PE teacher to go in with me. Think we are going to try to implement this with the EC kids. Would be fun to take them out fishing to a place like Mazerick park and see them catch some bream. Wish me luck!! I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
You can pick simple spincast combos up in bulk from sources like Ebay if all else fails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.