NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to trace back to my fly fishing roots for two days while on an extended northern Michigan adventure. I learned the art of flyfishing, growing up when my folks would send me up to stay with my Grandfather each summer on the north branch of the Au Sable river. It's been years and thousands of trout later that I got to lay eyes on Michigan's premier gold medal trout river. Tricos and blue wings were coming off from dawn to after dusk, with pods of hungry trout rising to the occasion. I had a fifty fish day mostly slinging a size 18 blue wing olive. All wild brooks and browns with 10inches being the biggest one in the net. The big Brown's hide all day under cut banks and only venture out past 11pm to eat mice or moths. If bigger flies are coming off such as Drakes or Hex hatches the browns will come out to feed and are catchable during daylight hours. I did try a little night fishing without any luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting that there are two trophy trout streams with the same or similar name. The Ausable in NY is also a gem! Those tiny brookies are such a treat to catch. Tough little buggers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Beautiful! Canoed a long section of the Au Sable when I was younger. Spent many summers in Traverse City chasing smallies...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts